Images of the tsunami

Started by
56 comments, last by PumpkinPieman 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
BTW, just readed today:
clickster
Quote:
Also, naturalists on the island said large-scale animal deaths appear to have been avoided, with many sensing the approach of the wave and fleeing to high ground.

You would think humans are cleverer then animals.. but who knows :\
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
If i would see water level fall, i would have some "WTF water is moving", but i sure know if it rapidly moves into sea, it will be back pretty soon, very rapidly. But don't really sure if there's enough time to survive if you stay at coast and run as soon as you see that water level fall.

I don't expect people to think like that.. more like: "hey.. water is getting shallow.. (...)"

Though a lot more people should get "Big wave, BIG wave!!"
I would imagine people just thought it was a rogue 20ft wave. Its hard to judge scale in the ocean. Its only when it gets close to shore, does it begin to crest, and become monster.

FYI, you can make your own Tsunami in the pool! Place your hands a few inches underwater and push down hard and fast. The waves that propogate out are the similar to a Tsunami's.

But wow, you have to feel bad for everyone out there. Death counts just been increased to 60 000+ :(
From the videos I've seen, I can't understand how it would tear down so many buildings.
I can image how smaller structures wouldn't stand a chance, but I've seen pictures of huge hotel complex' turned into rubble.

EDIT: Okay, just looked at some other pictures and it was a little bigger than I thought.
It's wierd how in this video the people are almost enjoying it as the first few waves come in, as you can hear them laughing but then almost instantly they all start screaming and running.
the future is just like the past, just later. - TANSTAAFL
Quote:Original post by _Sigma
But wow, you have to feel bad for everyone out there. Death counts just been increased to 60 000+ :(

Oof, last night it was 80,000. I just woke up this morning and checked CNN, latest toll: 116,000
Quote:Original post by StonieJ
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
ok, call me an insensitive jerk, but I thought this pic was hallarious.

You are an insensitive jerk.

Yes, you are - these people probably died - have you no emotions.
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
Hopefully, the world now knows what a Tsunami is and to know if its coming or not, and how bad it could get. Now, we just have to go thru the other hundreds of natural disasters to learn about them. Sigh. I seriously did not know that the water recedes before a Tsunami. Honeslty, if I was there, I would have found it interesting and would have went closer to check it out. Thats just human nature.

Anyway, lost a distant relative to the disaster. Plus, I been at those beaches years ago. Its very scary to know that as a kid I used to play there.
Quote:Original post by KnightBlade
Hopefully, the world now knows what a Tsunami is and to know if its coming or not, and how bad it could get. Now, we just have to go thru the other hundreds of natural disasters to learn about them. Sigh. I seriously did not know that the water recedes before a Tsunami. Honeslty, if I was there, I would have found it interesting and would have went closer to check it out. Thats just human nature.

Anyway, lost a distant relative to the disaster. Plus, I been at those beaches years ago. Its very scary to know that as a kid I used to play there.

By the time the next tsunami strikes, everyone would have forgotten about this one.

What's the frequency, like once every 30 years? This, I believe, is the first tsunami of which they have a video.
I remember in highschool when I was taking my natural disasters course, we had a full chapter on tsunamis, their dynamics and cause and devastation and such, and some case studies. Though, the teacher claimed that no one has even videotaped a tsunami before, so we don't actually know how it looks like other than the descriptions that the survivors had given.
I think the main problem was, for most people is that the tsunami looked harmless, as many people were probably thinking about the "movie" version of a tsunami, where it is immediately apparent that an ass-kicking is coming your way.
Probably 99% of people who were on the beach died, as they didn't know how deadly the little wave was...
Those who leave the womb at birthand those who enter their source at death,of these; three out of ten celebrate life,three out of ten celebrate death,and three out of ten simply go from life to death.What is the reason for this?Because they are afraid of dying,therefore they can not live.- From the Tao Te Ching
Yes...its very hard to judge the size of a wave. If you go to the beach every other day, then its even harder to judge the size of a wave. The appearence of a wave also varies from beach to beach. I live by the beach and understand what waves will hit my feet and what waves will come up to my knees. If I were standing there I probably would have thought those waves were harmless.

Its easy for us to say "WTF" because when we watch the video, we know whats going to happen. These tourists expected to see thier families alive the next day. They weren't on edge waiting for some huge tsunami to wipe everything out. If they were then they probably wouldn't be there. Also, tsunami's are not very popular natural disasters. People don't generally know how to react to them. If they did know, you would probably see people waiting in a similar fashion... waiting to catch it on tape.

Its sad, but judging from the way people reacted in the video, I would bet that most of the people that posted in this thread wouldn't have run until the last minute.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement