Images of the tsunami

Started by
56 comments, last by PumpkinPieman 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by JexMX
I think the scariest thing about the tsunami was that after the waves, it started to suck the water back out to sea, with people in it. I would hate to be sucked out to sea, trying to swim against that current would be unbelievably hard...

People would of got tired and drown :(

Not that anyone is likely to find themselves caught in a massive tsunami anytime soon, but if you are caught in a rip tide, the best way to get out of it is not to swim against it; you're wasting your energy. Instead, swim parallel to the shore until you're out of the current, then swim back to shore.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Advertisement
Quote:Not that anyone is likely to find themselves caught in a massive tsunami anytime soon, but if you are caught in a rip tide, the best way to get out of it is not to swim against it; you're wasting your energy. Instead, swim parallel to the shore until you're out of the current, then swim back to shore.
That is assuming you can swim in it...As the current is so strong it will also carry over building wreckage, trees, and everything else. It is very hard to escape i guess...
Quote:Original post by ZeroBit
Quote:Not that anyone is likely to find themselves caught in a massive tsunami anytime soon, but if you are caught in a rip tide, the best way to get out of it is not to swim against it; you're wasting your energy. Instead, swim parallel to the shore until you're out of the current, then swim back to shore.

That is assuming you can swim in it...As the current is so strong it will also carry over building wreckage, trees, and everything else. It is very hard to escape i guess...

The most dangerous are the ones that go below the surface of the water, those won't let you go anywhere but where the current ends, and you'll be probably drowned by then. That kind of accidents use to happen in appearently calm rivers, people gets in pretty comfident that there is no danger because they can't see it, if such a current catches them, they die.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
from Banda Aceh, Indonesia...
I heard the house is 1 km away from the shore line...
Link to wmv file
Death toll is 80k and counting
Quote:Original post by ZeroBit
from Banda Aceh, Indonesia...
I heard the house is 1 km away from the shore line...
http://www.goedzo.com/media/zeebeving/katc.wmv
Death toll is 80k and counting

130k and counting. Still tens of thousands of missing persons.

I saw a picture of a guy (probably a poor native) holding a handful of something (strawl?), looking at the horizon with an expression in his face that broke my heart. He looked like thinking "everything is gone".
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
130k and counting.
80k is from Indonesia only...horrible :(
Here is an amzing set of before and after satelite photos.
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
ok, call me an insensitive jerk, but I thought this pic was hallarious.

That's not hilarious, this is hilarious:

[lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement