Images of the tsunami

Started by
56 comments, last by PumpkinPieman 19 years, 4 months ago
Whenever I see any pictures related to the disaster in Asia, I only find some pictures taken AFTER, not pictures of the tsunami itself. Where can I find those pictures? Wanna see such a tsunami, not just the results, but the tsunami itself.
Advertisement
I have seen some footage of tourists, filming from their hotel balcony, at the moment the waves hit the shore.
I guess it saw it on CNN or someother news network.
No photos though..
On the news over here, they showed an amateur video tape from a tourist, who was filming his toddler when it happened. You saw the water retract in seconds, everybody was confused, then suddendly a kind of water wall. You didn't see anything after that, only screaming and running people.

Don't know if that tape is online. I guess more than one tourist taped the incident, but since most of them are either dead or missing...
Warning: lots of water and lots of death. If you're sensitive to that kind of thing, you may want to refrain from viewing. (I only watched the first one, which features an elderly couple being swept away--presumably to their deaths--so I'm unsure of the contents of the rest of them.)

You're Welcome.
a few pictures
Dolphins - The sharks of the sea.
I wonder about the shape of the tsunami. First I thought it was something like a huge wave, like this:

/\  --->        /  \            ~~~~~~~/    \~~~~~~~~

But later I understood it was actually a height difference of the water, moving towards the coast, like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~                \   -->             ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which one is it?
This is a pretty amazing picture.
And here is some video material.
edit: GDNet's corrupting my ASCII art!

Quote:Original post by Lode
I wonder about the shape of the tsunami. First I thought it was something like a huge wave, like this:

/\  --->        /  \            ~~~~~~~/    \~~~~~~~~

But later I understood it was actually a height difference of the water, moving towards the coast, like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~                \   -->             ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which one is it?

Both. Initially what happens is that a deformation of the sea floor suddenly displaces a large amount of water, which then propagates as a wave. As I understand it, in the case of this tsunami, two tectonic plates (marked by "[[A]]" and "[]" in the crude ASCII figure below) suddenly shift. Plate B is said to be subducted under A.

*~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*       *~~~~~~~~  sea level              ( ( ( * ) ) )           shockwaves___________________                  /      [[A]]      /_________________   ocean floor                //  []               //

The waves then propagate quickly outwards. Because the wavelength is so long, the height of each wave in the open sea is barely noticeable, producing a rise of perhaps a few feet or so. The very long wavelength may make it look as if, a "difference" in sea height is propagating towards them, but this is because observers can only see one side of the wave approaching.

10 km    fast             <----->  ======>              *~~~*    *~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*     *~~*     *~~~~~~  sea level___________________                  /      [[A]]      /_________________  ocean floor                //  []               //

A tsunami's speed is related to the depth of water it's in. Because its total energy remains nearly constant, the tsunami slows when it reaches shore, and increases in height.

100m                          <----->               generated tsunami              slower       ~~~~       ^                ====>     ~)))        |                         ~)))         | 30+ m~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~))) _____    v         shoreline                    ________/             ______/____________/                                   sea bed

Needless to say, the impact of several billion tons of water with the shoreline produces devastating effects. Because earthquakes typically don't occur all at once but rather in a series of close-together shocks, tsunamis typically consist of several smaller waves rather than one crushing wall of water like the simplistic ASCII art above might suggest.

I'm sure an encyclopedia or a Google search could turn up more concise information. But that's about it in a nutshell.

HTH,
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
You can find photos and videos in this thread.
These are quite something.

http://members.cox.net/pictures22/a01.jpg
http://members.cox.net/pictures22/a04.jpg
http://members.cox.net/pictures22/a05.jpg
http://members.cox.net/pictures22/a06.jpg
http://members.cox.net/pictures22/a07.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement