Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta, any good?

Started by
6 comments, last by rick_appleton 19 years, 3 months ago
I hope this is the right forum to post this question, it's more about the program and not programming. Is it worth installing Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta? Is it so much better that I should be thinking about upgrading to it, even though it's still beta. I'm still using VC6, mostly because it feels so clean. Thought about installing something newer so that I can use the latest DirectX SDK. Why is it called Express, did they take something out? What's the difference between VC 2002 and 2003? Maybe I should get one of them instead of installing 2005 Beta? Would appreciate any comments.
Advertisement
VC++ 2005 is much better then VC++ 6. Much better IDE and compiler. If are interested in developing .NET/managed applications you need to upgrade from 6 as well.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Hah. VC6. Clean. Another hah.

Okay, VC6 was pretty good. Got stuff done. It was a lot nicer than just notepad and a command line compiler/linker, no doubt. But it was still far from clean. Not to mention, the compiler was quite lacking in regards to certain C++ features.

I have myself just recently moved from VC6 to the 2005 Express Beta. 2005 uses more resources, but that's to be expected. Other than that, though, I am appreciating it quite a bit more than VC6. I would definitely recommend it if you're not planning on making anything of any comercial nature. If it's just playing around, learning, etcetera. Or even if you plan on developing it in VS 2005, and then in the end compiling it with something else before distributing it. I would suppose that Microsoft can't complain about that (although it's just a guess).
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Quote:Original post by Decept
Is it worth installing Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta? Is it so much better that I should be thinking about upgrading to it, even though it's still beta.

regardless of express beta, you should definitely be thinking about upgrading from VC++ 6.0, move away from it completely.

I'm still using VC6, mostly because it feels so clean.

In what way does it feel clean, the IDE? fair enough but the compiler is an abomination, its standard compliance is a joke (this was being made before & during C++ was standardized and that was 98!), its standard library is borked, barely supports templates and that is not complete.

You can do things to improve it, update it with service packs 5 & 6, get STLport and use that instead but that only goes so far to get round only a few issues.

Why is it called Express, did they take something out?

well in terms of a C++ compiler there isn't anything taken out (it leaves of from VC++ 2k3 98% standard c++ compliant and introduces new language C++/CLI which is 98% standard C++ plus new keywords & types useful for managed enviroments), its bare minimum compiler + IDE + .NET library which will be at a reasonable price (i heard something like $50).

What's the difference between VC 2002 and 2003? Maybe I should get one of them instead of installing 2005 Beta?

i'd suggest you use VC++ 2k3 (ignore 2k2) as your main compiler (until vc++ 2k5 express is released) you can always have express beta to play around with, you can actually download a version of 2k3 for free (its called vc++ toolkit 2k3 but comes with no IDE), if you buy a version that comes with the IDE in your case this will be sweet with DX SDK as it will install wizards and stuff for it (doesn't currently do it for VC++ 2k5 express beta but you can use it with DX).

[Edited by - snk_kid on January 17, 2005 10:47:39 AM]
Well, one thing about the Express Beta that really turns me off is the lack of an integrated resource editor. Other than that, I liked it pretty much.
I heard something about it expiring some time this spring. Is that true? And when done will it cost money? All other Microsoft [something] Express has been free to date at least.
Thanks guys, you have been really helpfull. I will try Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta.
Is the task list working for you guys? I have to go through the output list if I have errors, and pick them out of there.

For the rest it seems okay.

Cons:
The help files aren't working correctly for me, and I don't really like the new way CTRL+TAB works. Also I'm missing the ability to run instead of debug run a program. A few of these things are probably my fault (I did install the MSDN files, but I'm not sure about the SQL server), others I'll need to work around.

Pros:
A much better compiler. It supports templates far better, and the final executable is smaller which is nice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement