Started by
11 comments, last by Telastyn 19 years, 2 months ago
Read this:
clicky 1
clicky 2
clicky 3
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by graveyard filla

this is once again misinformation. speed is NOT 100 times more important then readability. speed is actually not really much more critical on a MMORPG server then it is for any other game. you write them to be as optimized as possible and you make it as scalable as possible. you should NOT sacrafice readability for speed, no matter what.

Actually that is wrong. on the server in the code, you can move away from common languages such as C++, java and more and go with a very specific language because the system there needs the speed. The faster the code runs the less servers you will have, which translates to savings. Readability is a score that is both for a language and for a snippit of code, As such if a language is harder to use/read it's likely not to be adopted. but in these cases on a server you can use such code as you're server is a smaller model, and you care more about speed. If you really think speed can be sacrificed then try running a unoptimized (no fancy tricks) server code written with Java, and C++ and tell me which one can support more.

Quote:Original post by graveyard filla

i dont think you understand what VC .net is. it is simply a C++ compiler, and nothing more. you do NOT need to have the .net framework to run code that was compiled with this compiler. it is simply an updated (and much better) version of VC 6.

This is technically true and technically false, I was talking about the project. Vc .net as a PROGRAM is a compiler. But a .net project WILL REQUIRE .net framework. I know this for fact as I did this for my first few DirectX projects. Worked fine on my computer (because I had the framework) but when I showed an amusing little program to 2 seperete friends the code wouldn't run (which was quite vexing til I got infromation on the error messages) I then redid the project as a non .net project (Win32 app I think was the one I used) And it worked perfectly fine on the same two computers that the .net project executables failed, calling for .net framework .dlls.

Having VS .net is not detremental but creating projects as .net always or using stuff only available in .net projects will cause you to force other users to install .net framework. The saddest thing (and the biggest mistake for beginners) is that an "empty" project and about 9 out of 10 potential projects are .net configurations. There's only a couple that are not, it's not that intuitive. however I could be wrong, there might be a magical button that fixed my problems but no one on this site seemed to know a simple fix for it except making a new non-.net project and adding the files to that.

[Edited by - kinglink on February 14, 2005 2:18:05 PM]
I'll concur with the two previous posters that caution against listening to kinglink...

Beyond that, MMORPGs can work however you damned well please.

They essentially evolved from chat servers. People scripted things to make certain chat "do" things. /hit joe for example would hit joe. It was just a chat server, so nothing much happened, but it was amusing.

Someone then made a game out of it. Give joe hit points, and suddenly /hit joe takes on a little more meaning. That's pretty much MUDs. Just beefied chat servers. MMORPGs are no different. On the back end, they just get a command /hit joe, interpret it, and spit it back to the client: "you hit joe for 20 points." and the client does what it will with it [render a swinging motion and a splurt of blood].

But note the rendering is completely pointless as far as the actual game is concerned. The client merely acts as a user interface, taking commands and displaying results.

The variety comes on the actual implimentation. How is joe's hitpoints stored? How are the game's rules implimented? What are the rules? Can players go between servers? Does the player know about the servers, or is it transparent?

Most are in C++ to my knowledge. Most MUDs are still plain jane C. Java is not unheard of. Most modern "big name" MMORPGs have databases behind them. Either way, you could make a MMORPG out of anything. Everybody can do if "attack" then attack() sort of things, and when you get right down to it, that's all they are.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement