Weird Religiouse Thoughts

Started by
102 comments, last by Access 19 years ago
Quote:Original post by Thermodynamics
Agreed! That is my belief. You are welcome to have your own. The OP was asking what our beliefs were so I responded. The reason I believe what I do, is that nothing has convinced me otherwise. It will require more than a good book to do so.

Question: Did your parents bring you to church and teach you a religion? If so do you think it still has an effect on how you judge right from wrong? In other words , did the socialization stick with you?
Advertisement
I would just like to point out that a religion is a completely different concept than a faith/belief.

All religions have a faith.
Not all faiths have a religion.

Just a thought.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
All hail Discordia!
Quote:Original post by DigitalChaos
Quote:Original post by Marmin
As for my weird religious belief: When you die, you simply cease to exist.
Agreed- only, defining what exactly is 'me' is not so simple. People thinking about it for centuries and it does not seem to help. And, it is not possible, imo, for an entity to 'know' its own existence. If that would happen, your life would have not happened, nor this moment.
Quote:No afterlife, no reincarnation, no spirits.
Prove it.

you can't prove one way or another that there is an afterlife, so might as well not even debate it. it will go in circles forever.

Yes, however which argument comes up as most likelly when you apply Occam's razor? [smile]
Marmin has a point. The defenition of what exactly the "you" that ceases to exist is is a lot tougher than it may seem. For example, if you're just a pattern of electrical impulses (a common belief), then this pattern changes radically over the course of "your" life. You essentially "die" every moment only to be replaced by someone very similar to you, but not actually you. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference when you die for real.

If there's a pattern that doesn't change throughout your life that 'identifies' you and 'anchors' your consciousness to the rest of the pattern (this seems pretty far-fetched, all things considered), then what would happen if we were to make a copy of this pattern in a computer? Once again, if 'you' are defined by a pattern of electrical impulses, there can't be more than one copy of 'you' any more than there can be more than one copy of the number one. It doesn't make sense.
Quote:Original post by DigitalChaos
You can't prove one way or another that there is an afterlife, so might as well not even debate it. it will go in circles forever.

Can't prove it, right, but, isn't it so that, because it can be named, it must be there? Think about it.. If it is not named, can't be expressed, then it does not exist, and vice versa (i forgot the exact 'philosophical' name for this). Everything that exists can be named (or put in a symbol form, like a '0' or '1', or 'apple'). These things we learn at school, what the meaning is. This is interesting, because it touches the fundamentals of learning. As a child I didn't know that the decimal system was, but it sure was there before I was born :)
Quote:Original post by Marmin
Can't prove it, right, but, isn't it so that, because it can be named, it must be there?

... no. [grin]

You're just confusing concepts here. Sure, in an abstract sense, there is such a thing as a unicorn because it can be described. But in reality, it is a distortion/combination/extension of things that exist, but does not and never has existed itself. In the same way, while the afterlife can be described in terms of things that do exist, that does not mean that it exists itself.
Quote:Original post by twix
Marmin has a point. The defenition of what exactly the "you" that ceases to exist is is a lot tougher than it may seem. For example, if you're just a pattern of electrical impulses (a common belief), then this pattern changes radically over the course of "your" life. You essentially "die" every moment only to be replaced by someone very similar to you, but not actually you. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference when you die for real.
Let's compare this to a computer program. You are saying that the program is mearly a pattern of electical signals. Since those patterns cange with each cycle of the clock as the program is run, you have a different program on each flop. That is inane. We can both realize that the program is not changing, even as its instructions are executed.
To continue with this program analogy, our "souls" are programs that are currently running. When we die, the hardware that was running this program stops functioning. No more working hardware, nothing to support an afterlife. Do we wonder if programs are still running when the power gets shut off or the processor starts smoking?
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
Let's compare this to a computer program. You are saying that the program is mearly a pattern of electical signals. Since those patterns cange with each cycle of the clock as the program is run, you have a different program on each flop. That is inane. We can both realize that the program is not changing, even as its instructions are executed.

And that's where the analogy breaks down, because unlike a (typical) program, we do change. A guy's personality at 20 is completely different than what it was at 8. His mannerisms are different. He has more memories, and a lot of his old ones are gone, leaving only small traces. Some of them are so far gone that he won't remember even if he's reminded of them. What has remained the same?

Besides, on an even more fundamental level, the analogy you provide is useless because programs aren't self-aware. Write me one that is, explain what constitutes self-awareness, and we'll talk. [grin]
To continue with this program analogy, our "souls" are programs that are currently running. When we die, the hardware that was running this program stops functioning. No more working hardware, nothing to support an afterlife. Do we wonder if programs are still running when the power gets shut off or the processor starts smoking?

Uuuuhhhh, now this really got me thinking, if we are like hardware running software, then, when broken (dead) we can't run the software any more, but that doesn't mean the software is not there anymore.

In theory, we could take that software and run it somewhere else.

[crosses fingers for human clones soon]

It would really seem like our counciousness is a running self modifing process.

This could make an awesome game. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement