C++ too difficult

Started by
44 comments, last by thannett 18 years, 11 months ago
hey i find C++ too difficult, but i still want to program. If i'm good then i want to create games, but wich language is easy too learn, and i dont mean anything like Qbasic or visual basic.
Advertisement
Python is very popular as a starting language, so check that out.
I got started with Java originally, which isn't too bad either (although these days, maybe C# would be an option as well).

Be really careful with asking this question though. Everyone and their uncle are going to tell you what the *only* possible language one can start with is. Within an hour, people will have told you to use every language on earth (including C++), and that all other languages are a waste of time. ;)
I would highly recommend learning C++. At first it will be tough, just stick with it. Like all things it just takes time and patience to learn. Pick up some books, try some simple tutorials and work your way up.

Also once you learn C++, learning another language is a fairly easy task. You'll be able to pick-up Java or C# easily.
Perhaps you could try using Python. It's quite a good language, is a fair bit simpler than C/C++, and you can get some reasonable results with it using the PyGame library once you've got the basics of the language down. You can get all the tools you'll need for free from the website, and there is also some excellent documentation. Python should also teach you good programming habits, and once you've learned it you may find C++ easier to approach.

Another potential option is Java, although not everyone finds Java easy to use. They have excellent documentation for getting started with the language on the Java site, and once again you can get everything you'll need to get started for free if you'd like to try it out.

Some other potential options include Blitz Basic or Dark Basic, which are BASIC variants created specifically with games creation in mind. I havn't really tried these, so I can't really say how good they are.

My personal recommendation out of those options would be Python; It's a good language, is fairly intuitive, it's well documented, and the PyGame library makes game development reasonably easy. In addition, it can act as a good stepping stone to later learning C++ if at a later stage you wanted to try again. There are of course other options than those I've presented (C# for one), but I don't know any resources for them so I'll leave any further suggestions to other people or your own research. It may also help you to invest in one or more books in whatever language you choose. Keep in mind that most people will simply advise you to learn either thier favorite language, or the one that they learnt with. I actually learnt with VB, you can do more than most people think with it, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Oh, and if you're looking for tutorials on the basics of a language anytime, the For Beginners Forum FAQ has a nice list covering a few different languages that is often a good place to start.

Hope that helps you. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

You might want to take a good look at Java or C#.

Don't diss Visual Basic, it can make games, just not powerful 3D graphic ones.
If you want proof of this, just go look at Irrlicht 3D Engine. You can use the engine in VB .NET and it still runs decently.

You shouldn't give up hope on C++. It takes a while to get used to, but when you're done with it you will have a lot of knowledge which you can apply to other programming languages.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Pascal. You can code as low-level as you wish. And it's a pure language.

If u need a good IDE, go for Lazarus, it uses Free Pascal.

http://www.freepascal.org/
i think i start with python since its OO like C++.
I was just about to say Delphi, it's a very powerful IDE and often overlooked. You create applications in a minute but also remain access to the lower level stuff. However when it comes to raw performance, documentation and examples there is no way around C(++), unfortunately.
Quote:Original post by PrototypeHowever when it comes to raw performance, documentation and examples there is no way around C(++), unfortunately.
About the performance statement, i want some proof. :)
Quote:Original post by Marmin
Quote:Original post by PrototypeHowever when it comes to raw performance, documentation and examples there is no way around C(++), unfortunately.
About the performance statement, i want some proof. :)

Dear lord, let's refrain from starting that particular discussion shall we? [wink]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement