A Good Java IDE

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 11 months ago
For C/C++/C#/VB.net I have Visual Studio .Net... For HTML/PHP/anything web I have Dreamweaver... For Perl I have Textpad... Now what I'd like to have is a nice IDE for writing stuff in Java when it's useful, because there are sometimes I want to write something in Java but it's just such a hassle typing it up in notepad/whatever, compiling it, reading the errors, then going back to the editor... I hate Netbeans. And Textpad doesn't seem very useful when it comes to juggling packages and classpaths and whatnot... I know Eclipse comes highly acclaimed, but what else out there is a good Java IDE?
Advertisement
JCreator isn't bad. Reminds of Visual Studio a little.

Sorry, no website.
- I don't pretend to know anything.Snowsoft
second on JCreator. download the Java Help Files will help you greatly.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I've heard great things about IntelliJ IDEA. But I've never used that one. I think you have to pay for it.

Netbeans and Eclipse are the popular favorites. Were you using the most recent version of Netbeans? Apparently Netbeans sucked hard until a recent new version, which transformed it from suck to cool.
Oddly enough, this comes up a lot. You'll find numerous recommendations in previous threads...

Personally I use Eclipse as a main IDE (for full projects) and keep JCreator around as well for a quick java code editor (starts up nigh-on instantly and gives you basic syntax highlighting).
I've always had trouble with Eclipse, never could get it to work for me.

Don't think it liked me. :-(
- I don't pretend to know anything.Snowsoft
I vote for Borland JBuilder. it's a very good IDE, doesn't eats an enormous amount of memory like many others, and it's quite fast (for a java IDE).
If you've got an extra $500 or so floating about, IntelliJ is THE way to go. If not... can't really help ya. BTW: that's $99 for students, and WELL worth it.

--Mark
JCreator is VERY Visual Studio like... Thanks a bunch, everyone!

Of course in the meantime I ordered a copy of JBuilder (Last minute student discount; graduated in December...) so now I'll have a choice once that arrives.

But so far JCreator is heads and tails above everything else I've used.

Thanks, all!
Eclipse is excellent, best IDE I've seen for any language. But it requires a fairly decent machine (especially memory) because it does a lot of error-checking as you type (this is one of its strong points, you almost never get compile errors). If you get it make sure you go to Help > Tips and Tricks > Java Development to see all the features, there are many nice ones that aren't obvious at first sight.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement