3H-GDC m.II **** The results are in ****

Started by
149 comments, last by Binomine 18 years, 8 months ago
Screw it, there are enough things wrong with it. I can't say that I'm good at creating bug-free stuff in under 3 hours. Especially when it deals with so many things.
Advertisement
I would like to post my game somewhere because I was not able to email it. I know it's too late for the contest, but I want someone to see it atleast. What free online storage does everyone use? I use photobucket for images, but whenever I search for free online storage for other files I just get crap, can anyone help me out?
Here are my votes.

Burn it with Fire -> 7.5
- Good gameplay, lacking a bit in graphics, and a bit too tough/fast for me to get anywhere fun :P

Endurion -> 6.0
- Intersting, but had lots of bugs with running into invisible fires and not rescuing people.

Fire -> 0.0
- Could not get to run on my computer, it loaded the eSDL frame and frowze my computer (took 10 minutes to get it to exit)

Fire Wire -> 6.8
- Fun, interesting, I found it impossible though, if the bar reset after you stopped, it'd be a lot more fun.

Stro -> 9.3
- Tons of Fun, and very intersting idea (*thinks of office space*), i wish there were more levels though

Jump or Burn -> 6.5
- Had bugs with invisible people

Pirate Burninator -> 9.0
- Very fun, but teh pirates were too fast to burninate most the time

Forest Fire Fighter -> 7.3
I couldn't et past the first level, the fires spread too fast and my copter flew too slowly

Those are my reviews, all entries were entertaining and well done for 3 hours :)
_____________________________Stephen EckenrodeProject Head / Lead Programmer<a href="http://www.centaurforce.com> Centaur Force
Can't believe I forgot about this. You should start announcing these on the gamecompo mailing list.
Quote:Original post by Robomaniac
Endurion
- Intersting, but had lots of bugs with running into invisible fires and not rescuing people.

Thanks for judging!
Invisible fires? You mean, the player fell dead allthough no fire was touched or falling tv hit him?

Rescuing people only works with the upper half of the player, that's intended.

Did you also have some timing bug? On some occasions the players falls down pretty slow although he should do faster than the tv sets.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Quote:Original post by AsOne
I would like to post my game somewhere because I was not able to email it. I know it's too late for the contest, but I want someone to see it atleast. What free online storage does everyone use? I use photobucket for images, but whenever I search for free online storage for other files I just get crap, can anyone help me out?
www.devimg.net

I have received feedback as part of the judging process. Given that it may be of interest to the contestants, I'll forward it here anonymously.

Quote:1. Helifire (MarkR): Well, I was pretty surprised by a web-based game, but it turned out to be pretty nice. The controls were intuitive, the gameplay was good, and it was pretty well done. The only problems I had was not being able to see the bottom of the screen, which distracted me a little. Other than that, there weren't enough levels, and it could have done with some method of scoring, based on the #trees + #houses + time bonus or something, then uploaded that to a score server. That'd be sweet.

2. Flaming Revenge (stro): A pretty well laid out game, however, it took me awhile to figure out how to remove the cabinets. There was no readme, and no instructions really, so I had to keep clicking madly on the screen. Multiple levels were a great addition, however, it wasn't altogether too hard to figure out any of them. All in all, pretty well done.

3. Pirate Burninator (DukeAtreides076): Wow, a fullscreen DX game. I was pretty impressed with that, and the menus, however, again the movement didn't appear time-based and everything went hella fast on my machine. Still, I was able to play, and it was pretty fun. I'd have to say the collisions were a little off, and navigating menus was a pain (one menu took 'space' another 'enter' another 'escape'...) but overall it was pretty decent. Could have done with a progressive difficulty instead of flinging 1000 things at me. But hey, pirates!

4. Burn it with Fire V (Toxic Hippo): I thought it was a good game, however, the movement didn't appear time-based and it ran fast as hell on my machine, meaning I didn't get to play very long (dieded). The controls were a little unintuitive (mouse? wtf) and I had to read the readme.

5. Jump or Burn (bitplane): It seemed pretty clear at first that I was supposed to catch the people, or put out the fire, or something, but I just couldn't seem to figure out how it worked. I mean, I thought I was catching them, but my score didn't change, and when I didn't the lives didn't go down. Until are the windows were burning. Then it started to handle as expected. I would have liked to see some delay between seeing the jumpers and them plummiting, because it was pretty hard for me to catch the bottom windows without already being there. And menus would have been a good addition as well.

6. Firefighting (Endurion): Took me a while to figure out that I had to press "space" to actually start the game, and the timer was running out meanwhile. Once started, I couldn't beat this game at all - there was not much of a "difficulty" setting when there should have been - my screen was filled with flying tv screens. Like some of the other entries, the collision detection was a little inaccurate, and it was a pain in the butt to aim that hose at the fire. The game itself was pretty well planned out, but could have been better.

7. Fire (mike25025): It seemed kind of interesting at first, however a lot of the extras (menu, score etc) are missing, which severly hurts the overall feel. The other thing that distracted me was the bad collision detection - the bitmaps didn't take up the whole rect, so "near-misses" came up as hits. And the black background of the fire surfaces weren't alpha-ed out with a colorkey (which is pie to do in SDL), but whatever. It could have been made better by a "background story" or something.

8. Fire Wire (Zefrieg): I completely missed the point of the game, and it was pretty buggy.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
More feedback

Quote:1. (DukeAtreides076) PirateBurninator - Really Fun: I didn't have too much of a problem with the pirate's speed, but starting easier and increasing difficulty might be something to consider. Burnination + Pirates = Win.

2. (endurion) Firefighting - Pretty Fun: Great setup, but the fun suffers a lot from the large number of falling TVs. If there weren't so many TVs, and perhaps if the hit detection was a bit better, this would be my first place pick.

3. (stro) Flaming Revenge - Pretty Fun: Pretty good, but there should have been more levels.

4. (MarkR) Hellfire - Pretty Fun: The first level went fine, but started to chug really badly on the second level, and the fire spread really fast before I could handle it.

5. (Zefrieg) Fire Wire - OK Fun: Even the revision still had the "warp" effect and boulders that buzz around at the top at the beginning. Once I got past that, sliding around was fun, but then I got hit by the corner of a round boulder's square hitbox and died. I haven't been able to get to any win condition.

6. (bitplane) Jump or Burn - Not Very Fun: There were constantly people jumping out of windows instantly, without showing up to give warning first. The fires in the windows seemed to be no indicator of whether people would jump from there or not. Even then, some jumpers were phantoms that wouldn't increase the score if caught and wouldn't take lives if ignored. I couldn't arrive at any kind of win condition.

7. (mike25025) Fire - Not Very Fun: Too many fireballs, and their hitboxes are too big. I never last more than about 15 seconds, and there's no in-game way to start a new game.

8. (Toxic Hippo) Burn it With Fire - Not Very Fun: The enemies approach way too fast, and I never last more than about 15 seconds
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
You can find AsOne's entry here. Since it was submitted late, it will not be included in the contest, but you can still try it out.

Quote:he game is pretty simple, all you do is move your guy (white circle) with
the arrow keys. The objective is to put out the fires by pushing the sand
bags (green blocks) onto the fires. The rate at which the fires appear is
dependent on your score.
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Helifire (MarkR): Well, I was pretty surprised by a web-based game, but it turned out to be pretty nice. The controls were intuitive, the gameplay was good, and it was pretty well done. The only problems I had was not being able to see the bottom of the screen, which distracted me a little. Other than that, there weren't enough levels, and it could have done with some method of scoring, based on the #trees + #houses + time bonus or something, then uploaded that to a score server. That'd be sweet.

It would be good, but I only had three hours.

There is only one level.

There is a bug which means if you press the "start game" button again after you've finished the game, it restarts but doesn't reset everything properly (i.e. it leaves the previous elements in the page).

This will cause chugging, as there will be too many things around eventually. Also it doesn't reset the helicopter variables (position, water level, speed).

The plan was to make a couple of more levels, but I ran out of time.

As per usual. I spent too long on the graphics (although they're pretty lame). I had problems getting the helicopter sprite rotated correctly (I got it right in the end, but spent at least 1 hour on graphics alone) which wasted a little bit of time.

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement