3H-GDC m.II **** The results are in ****

Started by
149 comments, last by Binomine 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Tsixm
Dude, Direct3D is a renderer, along with OpenGL. Basically what your saying is you may not use any library that advertises itself as 3D, which is completely unfair to us that don't program in 2D. Before you make assumptions, look at the Ogre source. It's basically just a thin abstraction of OpenGL and DirectX.

So next time, think before you become an ass-umer.

I don't know, I only have a degree in computer science in which I concentrated on graphics, but I always thought there was a distinct difference between a 3D Graphics API and a full featured Graphics Engine.

But yes, you're right, features like "Skeletal animation, including blending of multiple animations, variable bone weight skinning, and hardware-accelerated skinning", a scene graph manager, and a powerful plugin system that easily includes full featured terrain engines, etc. are just a thin wrapper over OGL and D3D.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
OK, the results are in.

1. MarkR
2. Stro
3. DukeAtreides
4. Toxic Hippo
5. Endurion
6. Bitplane
7. Mike25025
8. Zefrieg

A warm applause to all our contestants.
Stay tuned for the distribution of prizes.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Awesome job, everyone

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Thanks for liking my game, but more importantly, thanks for organizing and running the competition - you guys rock.
Ok, so I think it is apropriate to say that the respective winners should get in touch with the Contest Sponsors:

MarkR: 1 year of GDNet+/Amazon Prize (donated by Prozak)
Stro: 1 year of GDNet+ (donated by Fruny)
DukeAtreides: 1 month of GDNet+ (donated by capn_midnight)

Like cap said, awsome job everyone! [wink]
Next time instead of having a panel of judges, you should just ask me. After all, my judging was almost exactly the same as the final results (Endurion scored a little better than bitplane after Prozak based bitplane with the lowest possible score..)

So, uh, yeah. Give me a call for the next one [wink]

Congrats guys! :D
Congrats to the winners! It was quite a nice competition, and a good experience. I'm waiting for the next! ;)

Afterthought: I need a DX base specialized for competitions.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Quote:Original post by Zefrieg
OMG... the game actually makes sense. Here is what I was shooting for:

Fire Wire

Your game intrigues me, but what's the trick?

Every time I move to the right and stop, the balance never levels out. I have to move to the left to balance it out, and I end up at the same spot as when I started.

Congratulations to all. I hope this gets run again, I'll definitely participate.
Right, so it's OK to use DirectX, including all the helper functions in the D3DX library.

What about base code to load and play .wav files and .mp3 tracks? And would the sound/music files have to be created in the 3 hours also?
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Next time instead of having a panel of judges, you should just ask me. After all, my judging was almost exactly the same as the final results (Endurion scored a little better than bitplane after Prozak based bitplane with the lowest possible score..)

Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day... =)
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement