🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Originality 101.

Started by
45 comments, last by aegrimonia 23 years, 6 months ago
Aegrominia!

About this Electronic Art game you find really cool!

Do you mean I have to pay to have a moron call me at 2 am While im sleping just to annoy me with some kind of stupid game?

It is rather their concept tath suck...or just you tath suck at describing a game concept!

Because I claas this in the folder name (They have smoke something!)

So evryone here.....please next time you have a new original, good, totaly new, revolutunarie idea. Writte it down and take a look at it in a day or two!!!!!

Delisk
Advertisement
Ok.. that''s your opinion.. but i will bet you even money that this will be more successful then any project you ever work on..

(the electronic arts game)

it''s a totally new concept.. i wish i''d of thought of it..
Genetic vampirism that changes you in EVO-style ways as your weapon. Want to go up an armor level? Find an armadillo and drink its blood. You have to solve a puzzle to gain access to each new chunk of DNA.

You are a pack of wolves, swarm of bees, or other collective animal. Fighting tactics are determined by this.

A cross between Lighthouse and The Incredible Machine. Use the machine parts to solve puzzles.

A hentai with guys in it too. (My current project )

A game based on Ragnarock the tabletop RPG. Meat-eating snowshoe horses, characters with hebephrenia and kleptomania, a disease called Butlerism (after Octavia E. Butler''s _Xenogenesis_) where you slowly turn into whoever you''re standing next to, telepathic cats, tranquilizer darts, all that good stuff.

(All my ideas are free if anyone wants them.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hmm. Let me grab my most recent notebook....

The idea of an RPG where the characters are stellar bodies in a nebula was mine (posted as AP). The planets form the players inventory.

An RPG style game where the player makes a party of entertainers travelling in the some sort of nightmarish Greek underworld.

Skill based, instead of combat the player has to perform for (awe/impress) the inhabitants, usually for coin. Characters grow from being street performers up to a small scale travelling circus. Skills advanced through practice and quests (''Fetch me a new hand and I''ll teach you how to juggle chainsaws''). Rather silly game.

At the end the players are commanded to perform for Pluto, who might allow them to return to life (he always did have a thing for fine entertainment).

A small adventure game taking place at a formal ball. The player is an assassin sent to kill off an important person.

Part I the player must successfully (stealthily) kill the target. Any unusual behavior will tend to be noticed by the other part-goers who wander around.

In part II the computer NPC cops start logically weeding out suspects, while the player must pin the crime on someone else by planting evidence or whatnot. Anything noticed by the other NPCs in part I may be brought up. Player is free to confuse the memories / logic of others.

Those are the most recent, anyway.
Spoonter Race: You play a little spermie who can build
relationships & form alliances with your billions of brothers
with a genuine real life economic system and dynamic world
modification. Then you get spoontered out all over the place.

or maybe it''s called "Sim Spoonter"

*OR*

Think Hogan''s Heroes, think Great Escape, think... ANT FARM!
You play Alfonz Derone, the heroic leader of the ant resistance.
You lead your troops on raids out of the ant colony and spoil
peoples picnics

*OR*

You are the grand master of controlling the minds of fleas. You
send them out on missions and you get points for crippling dogs.

*OR*

You play a street kid who does grafitti to mark his territory,
and fights for women''s right to vote.

*OR*

You play a politician who has to get as many tax-dollar
funded benefits as possible, and you win the game when they
build a statue in your honor.

*OR*

you play an inanimate object, such as a toaster, and when
"humans" press you, you have to respond appropriatly or they
will suspect that you are an alien an destroy you.

*OR*

you play an NPC in a fully dynamic world with no storyline that
has become so haphazard and random that you can''t tell what you
are supposed to even be doing and you go crazy, slaying "players"
who try to weedle important information out of you (or build
relationships with you for that matter).

*OR*

you use your skills in hospitality to serve up fries at McDonalds
restaurants all over the world. When you have done six years
service at five locations, then you are awarded with the position
of "Assistant Manager" and you get to be laughed at by all your
"friends" who have real jobs.

*OR*

You play an indie game developer who actually realises that
before you can go around making up game ideas, that you should
get a job making games for somebody else and learn how the
process works.

*OR*

you have to throw turds at nerds to score points
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
- I like the McDonald''s one. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
Aren´t you the least bit afraid of what will happen to you if you do something that´s "new and original and has never been done before"? Ask yourself why this has never been done before. Ask yourself who would play this. Would you want to play this?

Old ideas are not bad. THe best ones have been around for over a thousand years, so don´t feel bad if you re-use them. Just try to make it a little bit better.
Because, from my experience, when a team tries to make the "best game ever" they put in all their original and great ideas forgetting that ultimately they want to make a game. Playable. FUn.

If you do something that is just as good as the next game (ie. if your starcraft clone is every bit as good as the original) and add one or two things of your own to make it better or mend some flaws you have done a wonderful job.
Too many games have choked on their own good ideas (stylish-but-lousy interface, great surrealistic-but-confusing storyline, whacky-never-been-done-before concept....).

-Pessimist is just a word that Optimists use for Realists

-A Pessimist is an Optimist with experience
The McD idea is good, but you''d have licensing issues. I prefer the toaster one.
What about a game where you, you know, blow stuff up...

''Smile, things could get worse.''
So I smiled, and they did.

sharewaregames.20m.com

Spazboy: LOL. They are all fantastic

Youve even inspired me....

You play a cat. You get points for curling up and going to sleep (bonus points for sleeping in strange places like boots or washing machines etc, and for going to sleep in uncomfortable positions). However, lots of people are trying to distract you with bits of string etc, only by ignoring them and generally being superior can you get a top score.....

OR

You play a wildlife researcher, and your job is to befreind a family of apes. This is acheived by picking nits out of their hair. The nits jump about though, so you need hand - eye coordination and quick reflexes to win - if you poke the apes in the eyes they turn round and lamp you.

OR

A 'Drink 'em up - You play a lager lout on a mission. The aim of the game is to get pissed and fall into a ditch, in the meantime you get points for anti social behaviour like projectile vomiting and putting traffic cones on top of peoples cars. Get picked up by the police and its game over

OR

Musical Chairs. Since it has now been deemed by some stupid committee to be too dangerous for kids at school, it would be the perfect subject for a computer game. Plenty of multiplayer potential too....

OR

PC Strikes back: You and your PC swap roles - you play the OS and the PC simulates being a user. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to annoy the user by making it impossible for him to do anything without crashing, hanging or losing data, meanwhile he installs patches which limit your power. If you can piss him off enough, he will give in and install linux instead..

OR

Old-Timer Ascension You play an OAP. You must embark on a perilous quest to collect your pension. The only weapons at your disposal are: a handbag, walking stick, a bus pass, and the ability to criticise the 'youth of today'.

OR

Duffy The Umpire Slayer: You play a cricketer with a psycopathic hatred of umpires. You must slay all the umpires you find, by beating them to submission with a cricket bat and driving a stump through their heart...

Edited by - Sandman on December 5, 2000 12:20:40 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement