Vehicle Driven By Mac OS X

Started by
21 comments, last by jRaskell 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
It's running OS X. So? Maybe the people who are heading up the project really like OS X. Regardless, it's a neat project and we should be arguing about that rather than "my operating system is better than yours omg".

I never meant to suggest that. Could well run it off a G4 powerbook. A G5 Powermac might be a bit much, what with the $3k price tag and the kilowatt power supply. I'm just questioning why you'd use a cluster of 3 mac minis. It doesn't make sense.

My wager is that's because they're small, and there are 12V car cigarette-lighter adaptors available for them already. I would probably have used a couple of SBC Linux boards but it's their money.

Not sure why they need three though. Probably just to look cool. Or they ordered a wad of them for one of the labs (to get a volume discount) and had a couple left over.
Advertisement
Perhaps 2 of the 3 Mac Minis are failsafes? Or performing discrete operations for other parts of the vehicle?
It's really only a matter of time before ALL vehicles are computer controlled. Eventually the whole idea of humans driving at all will be an amusing blurb in history. Doubt we'll see it happen in our lifetimes, and I'll be thankful if I don't, but there's no doubt in my mind that it will happen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement