Mouse issues on ubuntu Hoary.

Started by
5 comments, last by jumpjumpjump 18 years, 8 months ago
I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.0.4 and on first boot, my mouse doesn't work. During login at gdm, all is fine. The mouse will move around, but then back to a spot near where the mouse moved from. This pretty much makes it impossible to use my mouse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Perhaps the mouse is not correctly configured? In xorg.conf you have the section InputDevice. Under the mouse options there you have Option "Protocol". Mine is set to IMPS/2, which should work with most mouses.

But what do you mean with "all is fine" during login. Does the mouse work before logging in? If that is the case, then the protocol should be correct. You could use 'dmesg' and 'tail /var/log/messages' and see if you find anything suspect from those commands.

Edit: Just remembered that I had the same problem once, but that was a long time ago. Can't remember what I did about it, but I think it was that the protocol wasn't right.
IMPS/2 didn't fix it. :/ I'm using a logitech cordless desktop(keyboard and mouse) and the keyboard works fine...
I remember having those same problems with Slackware when I first started using Linux years ago. The solution to the problem was simply finding the correct driver to use. It's strange that ImPS/2 isn't working for you, though. Try a few of the other ones.

Alternatively, your device may be wrong. Usually in Debian, it's /dev/input/mice, but occassionally this doesn't work. Try, for example, /dev/psaux.

Could you maybe link to your xorg.conf so that we could take a look?
Well here is my working xorg section for the mouse from SuSE, which didn't do anything with ubuntu.

I tried it on ubuntu with no luck at all.
Quote:
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "Mouse[1]"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Name" "ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse"
Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

The default one it was using is:

Quote:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Options "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Do you have a second pointer device plugged in? First few times I was trying to use the live CD of Ubuntu I forgot I had a drawing tablet plugged in, so I could sort of move the mouse pointer away from the top (right I think) corner, but it would quickly go back.

Unplugged my graphire, and it worked great.

Side note here, turns out there is a VERY short time during a boot that my computer will allow you to open the drive a Live CD is in,... Before that second, it is locked or something while the computer reads, and after it starts reading it would lock the drive shut so you couldn't remove the live CD,... that took a lot of time before I managed to get that disk out,...
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
That's funny, I just solved this issue last night, and sure enough, my wacom drawing tablet was plugged in. Thanks for the help though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement