Can I make a game with no programming?

Started by
54 comments, last by Blad3 18 years, 7 months ago
With a few months of c++ experience, I have to agree that the hardest part of programming is discipline. But programming is not the same as creating games. It all depends on what you want to do.
First and foremost, it's a whole different story I think if you want to be in the industry.
But actually what I find the hardest now is thinking about a fun gameplay. I sure have enjoyed many games so much that are almost within my skills. Like those old arcade games and I'm sure there are alot of fun games on cell phones now. (I don't own one). It strikes me that I had more fun and playing hours with some really small puzzle bobble game than DOOM 3. Maybe it's just me, but when you let go of AAA titles with insane graphics and LAN, creating a fun gameplay like that can IMHO be a lot harder than programming.
Advertisement
Yup, I know what you're saying. You know, before I accidentally went to a website for programming and I read about this 'thing' called C++, I thought I can make the perfect platformer for 2 players over the internet, too. Though that never happened. I tried RPG Maker, Game Maker, everything. Its all restricted. And thats when I fell into this website talking about C++. Now, given its wierd name, I thought it was something simple and stupid. But I had the guts and downloaded this so-called 'compiler'. Now, then I had no idea what I had to do with this 'compiler', so I download a new 'compiler' dev-cpp. I had no idea that dev-cpp was an IDE, but not a compiler. And then I tried some C++ on cprogramming.com. And.... it worked! Later on, I learned that C++ is the game industry standard, so I tried some more. After weeks of study, I actually managed to write this:
#include <iostream>#include <cstdlib>#include <cctime>using namespace std;int main(){    cout<<"Welcome to guess my number!\n\n";    srand(time(0));    int myNumber = rand() % 15 + 1;    int theGuess = 20;    do    {        cout<<"Your guess: ";        cin>>theGuess;        cin.ignore();        if (theGuess < myNumber)            cout<<"\nGo higher!\n";        if (theGuess > myNumber)            cout<<"\nGo lover!\n";    } while (theGuess != myNumber); // wow, did we put a semi-colon on this?                                    // i never used a do loop, so I kinda forgot    cout<<"\nYou guessed it!\n";    cin.get();    return 0;}

My point is, that you're not going be writing anything big, unless you program it. I suggest C++. And my second point is, that you're not going to write anything big in the beginning. Most a guessing-game by 2 weeks or so... A ping pong game with graphics? Maybe a 1/2 year to a year. A platformer with lan? Maybe 4+ years?

-DBZ-

Edit: All those years, given you're not working on a 50 people team ;).

Edit2: What I mean is, that rpg maker, game maker, and mostly any other 'maker' is restricted. It allows you to do what is already built it. With programming, you expand your game any way you want.

[Edited by - dudedbz1 on October 10, 2005 11:46:39 AM]
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Oluyesi:

Oluseyi.

OT: How is your name pronounced?

On topic:
Most designer probably do programming at one point in their career. Chris Crawford at least has programmed many games on his own, and still codes for his Interactive Fiction project.
By the way, you can save yourself some time and work by getting a good game lib, I have just found HGE It is really nice and might save you a couple of pains. The only thing is that it would require the game to be freeware or that you pay them somehow, it also adds a logo on startup but if you add your own logo after that it would just look like those playstation games
------ XYE - A new edition of the classic Kye
I thought the topic was "can I make a game with no programming?"? If you tell the guy to "learn a C-based language" your not answering his original question. I agree with anyone who says that if you want to work in the video game industry you will have to master a programming language. But if you actually reviewed what FordPrefect226 wrote then you would know better.

The answer is yes you can make a mario game with no programming the game tools Game Maker & Multimedia Fusion are excellent 2d game making tools. They will require a small project like a pong clone before you will know how you can make a mario clone. Here are some links.

http://gamemaker.nl/ Game maker (free standard version 15$ for full version)
http://www.game-editor.com/ Game-editor (you must purchase it for full version)
www.clickteam.com/English/ Click products include game factory & Multimedia Fusion
www.rpgmakerxp.com Rpgmaker a easy to use rpg game tool

If you enjoy making games with these tools I suggest you look for a good game programming book on amazon.com.
You fight like a cow
Well, you could whip out some paper and a pencil, draw a board with those, and create rules. Then get your friends to play with you. No programming needed!
Quote:Original post by Zeraan
Well, you could whip out some paper and a pencil, draw a board with those, and create rules. Then get your friends to play with you. No programming needed!

Don't forget that legos can be used for a 3D experience [lol]

Seriously though, your best bet is to learn the basics of a programming language, and practice it. Which language is hard to answer, since person A might like language L, while person B hates everything about language L and says language S is much better. It's true some languages are better than some in some areas, but you might want to test out a couple languages, and make a few simple programs (prompt user for name and a number, and display that name and number), and see which you feel more comfortable with.
Still, you could just stick with what others have suggested, and go with gamemaker. If anything, starting with that might help you become more comfortable with programming. I had started out with a point-and-click game maker, and managed to learn the basics of programming b/c of it.
TRY...
Multimedia fusion

www.clickteam.com

Artists. Producers. Managers. Loads of designers. Some of them know a little bit about programming, some of them know a lot about languages that are no longer popular.

Name one game designer, who work's for a commerical company, that doesn't know C++, if you can I'll eat my C++ tutorial. :)

Point being that they had to know at least something like art before they got into design, and as you say work very hard at it.

Quote:Original post by Blad3

Artists. Producers. Managers. Loads of designers. Some of them know a little bit about programming, some of them know a lot about languages that are no longer popular.

Name one game designer, who work's for a commerical company, that doesn't know C++, if you can I'll eat my C++ tutorial. :)

Miyamoto big enough for you?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement