Visual Studio 2005 Questions (answers appreciated!)

Started by
3 comments, last by Klohunt 18 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I am Kyle and I am very new to C++ programming. However, I have already purchased a copy of Visual Studio 2005 because I feel it is time to learn .NET, and I've also purchased some books (Visual C++ .NET How to Program , Beginning game programming in C++). I have some basic questions that I just couldnt find the answers to on MSDN. First off, I am under the impression that Visual C++ 2005 can be used to create applications that are not meant for the .NET platform? Such as normal C++ code (unmanaged I believe it is called?). Is it necessary to switch from unmanaged mode to managed mode or will the compiler know what code is managed and what isnt? Is Visual C++ 2005 .NET used to make games(or will it be)? Lastly, can you recommend any reading on Visual C++ 2005, considering the fact that no books are available yet? Thank you very much for any replies!
Kyle Louis HuntStudent
Advertisement
Any of the Visual Studio.NET versions can do both managed and unmanaged C++. You choose which one you'll be using when you create a new project. If you select somthing that says (.NET) in th name, youre using the managed C++. If you choose one that says "Win32 project" or something like that, youre not using .net and it is unmanaged (normal C++).

Visual Studio is just a tool. C++ is used for making games, while VS.net is used to make programming easier.

Good luck with your programming...just take it one step at a time and you'll be an elite programming god before you know it.

Happy Coding!
Welcome to C++ and GameDev Kyle!

Quote:First off, I am under the impression that Visual C++ 2005 can be used to create applications that are not meant for the .NET platform? Such as normal C++ code (unmanaged I believe it is called?).
Yes you can code in unmanaged code in MSVS 2005 just the same as you'd code in managed code.

Quote:Is it necessary to switch from unmanaged mode to managed mode or will the compiler know what code is managed and what isnt?
I'm not certain but I think that you can select this when you select the project type.

Quote:Is Visual C++ 2005 .NET used to make games(or will it be)?
At the moment 2003 is still the industry standard. Aslong as Microsoft address the problems found then I see no reason why it won't be used for major game development in say the next 2/3 years.

Quote:Lastly, can you recommend any reading on Visual C++ 2005, considering the fact that no books are available yet?
You can purchase lessons on MSVS 2005 for $99 here.

Best of luck Kyle.
Yes: you can turn off the "generate managed code" checkbox, and you'll generate plain Win32 applications. I think there are also Win32 project wizards to set up such projects.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thank you very much for your helpful replies! Things are all clear now. I see I have found the right forums :D

I will look into those lessons ASAP.
Kyle Louis HuntStudent

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement