Torque Engine Questions

Started by
13 comments, last by GDKnight 18 years, 4 months ago
Do you know a good tutorial of torque script?
Advertisement
GarageGames has plenty resources about the torque engine, including torquescript.

My experiences with Torque is that it is quit powerfull and has a large community supporting it. On the other side, I would recommend to at least use the Torque Shader Engine, as that one contains support for more modern hardware and programmable hardware. Plus spend a lot of time understanding what really happens.

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

Well, the few times I tried to get into the code I got frustrated because no matter from which point you see it, its someone elses code, nothing frustrates me more than having to learn and understand pre-existing code,

Honestly I dont' understand what you mean.
Generally speaking I agree that having to learn pre-existing code is a frustrating experience but what have it to do with script languages or even with game engines?
The main issue with script languages and game engines is the lack of flexibility, that's it, in my opinion.
Even though I think that it is more an emotional rather than a rational issue , no doubt that C++ is more flexible than Torque language

However generally speaking Torque is a mess, in my opinion, there are much better engines here around

Quote:Original post by AlbertoT
Well, the few times I tried to get into the code I got frustrated because no matter from which point you see it, its someone elses code, nothing frustrates me more than having to learn and understand pre-existing code,

Honestly I dont' understand what you mean.
Generally speaking I agree that having to learn pre-existing code is a frustrating experience but what have it to do with script languages or even with game engines?
The main issue with script languages and game engines is the lack of flexibility, that's it, in my opinion.
Even though I think that it is more an emotional rather than a rational issue , no doubt that C++ is more flexible than Torque language

However generally speaking Torque is a mess, in my opinion, there are much better engines here around

I thought this thread was dead, anyway,

I was talking about the Torque C++ core engine code, not the scripts (you do know you get the full C++ code right?), in that regard, I find the Quake 3 source to be much more readable than Torque's.
I have been looking at the torque engine quite frequently lately. It looks pretty promising, I would recommend it but I have never really used it. The scripting language really is not that big of a deal you get the source code with the engine too, so you can basically mod it all you want.

Not to mention the scripting language seems quite powerful, my bet is you will begin to like it if you use it. Much similar to the way Kwizatz said any existing code can be annoying at first but once you understand the concept it is probably great.

If your really skeptical of what type engines are out there I suggest searching around on DevMaster.net. It gives you a good comparison of how torque compares to some of the other engines out there; especially if you read through the users comments. Many of the comments on the torque engine, specifically the bad ones, really make me wonder. Perhaps many of the people who purchased might of not been prepared or ready to program a game, possibly they bought it because tribes used it (something to consider when reading).
- GDKnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement