Im helpless...

Started by
16 comments, last by CodeTitan 18 years, 3 months ago
yea I guess ill get some books and start reading them..I gotta follow thru..thx guyz!! ill look at that book/.
Advertisement
From what I've been told it's easier to understand c++ after you learn c and theres a great tutorial at coronado enterprises website. They have one for c++ as well.
Quote:Original post by Takaloy
programming is not too difficult. the difficult part is getting through the "initiation stage". After you've passed that stage you'll realise that programming is all about algorithms, regardless of the language. I think that's where it gets easy.

I suggest you get a tutor for first few months, once you break the brick wall you'll be on your way... easily.

on the side note, gargh!!! I still can't get passing function thru another function (into a tree) working.

you mean like function pointers??

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by wh0
From what I've been told it's easier to understand c++ after you learn c and theres a great tutorial at coronado enterprises website. They have one for c++ as well.

I've heard that too, but I've also heard you have to unlearn some C in order to fully grasp C++. It would be quicker and simpler if you just learn C++, in my opinion.
Still 2^10 :P
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:Original post by Takaloy
programming is not too difficult. the difficult part is getting through the "initiation stage". After you've passed that stage you'll realise that programming is all about algorithms, regardless of the language. I think that's where it gets easy.

I suggest you get a tutor for first few months, once you break the brick wall you'll be on your way... easily.

on the side note, gargh!!! I still can't get passing function thru another function (into a tree) working.

you mean like function pointers??

yea something like that.

assuming I have a proper tree working(which I think I do, a simple binary tree atm), I have a method that is outside the tree so I can pass in the tree (say the method is to printScreen() )

that's my brick wall atm :(
Quote:Original post by Jetto
yea I guess ill get some books and start reading them..I gotta follow thru..thx guyz!! ill look at that book/.

Which book? Python one or C++ one?

I suggest buying Beginning C++ Game Programming. Look up, there was a link somewhere in this post.

I personally started by buying this book and typing in every single example program the book had. That way I could experiment with the code, try some of my own, and learn.

I think you're trying to learn C++ without typing anything in and compiling. It won't work that way. The only way that works (IMHO - (I guess this is (i)n (m)y (h)onest (o)pinion)) is to work with the examples. It's hard to grasp something that you're not practicing with.

Nothing is TOO hard once you start. I thought C++ was confusing when I started it at 10 or 11 I think, but it wen't along smoothly after that. Especially when I thought that functions couldn't work on dev-cpp, but I figured it out [grin].

Just try and read - the only way to go.

Good luck.
I was programming in QBasic from the time I was like 7 to 13 (was the only thing I knew existed and I had easy access). When I tried to switch to C/C++ on my 14th birthday (my parents bought me the book and compiler), I simply couldn't. I tried following the book, but could only make it to like chapter 4 before I would get so confused that I was just typing in the programs and not grasping the concepts. That went on until I was nearly 18. One day, I woke up and I just... understood it. I mean, I don't get every single concept, but there have been some topics that I understood perfectly now that I don't think I could have understood a few years ago, and I know that I understand other things that I never understood.

I think that learning C/C++ isn't just a matter of intellect, it's also a matter of maturity. That's just what I think.

And, also, I've known some idiots that could write software as well, but they didn't use OOP concepts, they didn't write good software, and everything about their software was very very basic. In my opinion, while that makes them "programmers," it doesn't put them into the same class of programmer that nilkn speaks of.

Learning C/C++ is not difficult if you have the correct motivation. Just ask yourself if programming is something you really want to learn.

Sometimes, the waves of problems and the hours of confusion can be discouraging. This is why it is good to write projects with every new thing that you learn. Having a working program does wonders for the ego.

It is also extremely helpful to have a mentor of some sort. If you can't find one, then ask here. Keep trying to figure out stuff, and if you are confused, people at this forum will help you.

If you've lost your motivation, then nobody can help you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement