Can I learn C?

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 2 months ago
I see everyday, C++ is the industrial standard and stuff like that.. but, I still see C used ALOT these days.. so im wondering if its okay if I learn C instead of C++? I know C++ is a superset... but yeah, i want to learn c because of its ease of pointer usage, speed, etc. Is that okay? Thank you!
Advertisement
Definately, go ahead! Good luck!

I recently began re-coding my game in pure C instead of C++, and it's worked well for me.
Sure, C is an excellent language and it'll give you an appreciation for the little things in computer programming, like strings being slow. Go for it.
Quote:Original post by DynaEmu
...i want to learn c because of its ease of pointer usage, speed, etc.
Hehe...'ease of pointer usage', huh? You may have a bit of a wake-up call ahead of you if you expect working directly with pointers will make things easier :-)

Also, make sure you do some research and get some opinions from experienced programmers if you're thinking about going with C because it's 'faster' than C++.
Quote:
I see everyday, C++ is the industrial standard and stuff like that.. but, I still see C used ALOT these days.. so im wondering if its okay if I learn C instead of C++?

I know C++ is a superset... but yeah, i want to learn c because of its ease of pointer usage, speed, etc.

If you find C++ overwhelming you could choose C#. C is ok too but when it comes to practical things my opinion is you would achive things faster with a language like C# or VB.Net. I'm rather new to C# but I'm quite impressed already, the other week I was able to make a fairly complex windows application in mater of days. So C# is definitely an option to think at.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Quote:but, I still see C used ALOT these days.. so im wondering if its okay if I learn C instead of C++?

The first language you learn is not the one and only language you learn so if you want to learn C first then do so. You may want to learn C++ at some point in the future though.

Quote:i want to learn c because of its ease of pointer usage, speed, etc.

Pointers are pretty easy to use in both C and C++. As for speed there's no difference between C and C++ really, sure stuff like RTTI may give you a speed hit but if you wanted to do the same thing in C you'd have to clone the functionality and get the same speed hit (or even a greater one) anyway.
I guess the short answer is yes... simple.
Every good programmer knows at least 4 or 5 languages, the best is you learn c/c++/c# and start with c.
You can do anything with c but c++ has some nice features and a c++ program is more readable than a c program. c# is not as fast as c but the .net framework makes programming really easy.
Thanks everyone! I decided to go C for now, maybe in the future ill go for C++.
Quote:
i want to learn c because of its ease of pointer usage, speed, etc.

C isn't really faster than C++. And anyway, talking about the "speed" of a language doesn't make sense in the first place.
As for ease of pointer usage, I'm not sure what you mean. Sure, it's easy to get access to pointers in C, but easy to use? Not really.
In any case, that's exactly the same for C and C++.

So honestly, I don't see much point. It's not easier to learn, and it's not "better" in any way.

But sure, there's never any harm in learning new languages. And hey, if you wanna learn C, go for it. Just don't expect it to be easier or faster than C++.

And finally, don't treat the choice of language as some kind of career decision.
Picking up new languages is easy once you get the hang of programming. As such, there's never any harm in learning a new language. No matter how useless it might be, it's not something that's going to inhibit you for the rest of your life.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement