What games to play to get inspiration?

Started by
36 comments, last by Jaywalk 18 years, 2 months ago
Baldur's Gate has an interesting system. And Ultima 7 had some good music, much of which might be in the later games too.
Advertisement
Look into Michiru Yamane's work on the Castlevania series, specifically the Symphony of The Night soundtrack. I would also recommend to you the Curse of Darkness as well as the Lament of Innocence soundtracks, but the tracks found on them arent as orchestral as the ones in Symphony. You can get the Symphony soundtrack at the Castlevania Dungeon.
If you can find it and if you don't mind a PC game : Outcast by the now defunct Appeal (*). It featured one of the nicest soundtracks I've heard in a game. Apparently the official site has the MP3 : http://www.outcast-thegame.com/gallery/audio.htm

(*) Yves Grolet (the founder of Appeal and IIRC of Arts & Magic in the Amiga days) is now running Elsewhere Entertainment.

Hope this helps.
Good taste, krizo, I'd recommend Shenmue I&II and Fable.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If you can find it and if you don't mind a PC game : Outcast by the now defunct Appeal (*). It featured one of the nicest soundtracks I've heard in a game. Apparently the official site has the MP3 : http://www.outcast-thegame.com/gallery/audio.htm

(*) Yves Grolet (the founder of Appeal and IIRC of Arts & Magic in the Amiga days) is now running Elsewhere Entertainment.

Hope this helps.

Yes! I posted this earlier, but I'm glad someone else has played it. It's phenomenal! It's the first game soundtrack I listened to outside of the game...

Damn the sequel never got any momentum. There was a ton of concept art and some early screenshots and Moore, I believe started work on more scores to be tracked with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra (making a return from the original).

Anyway, you can check out the remnants over at www.outcastii.net. (Apparently a German team started making an unofficial sequel using the Gothic engine but the link to that doesn't work.)

Sigh.
i think anything from Black Isle is good. i dont think ive ever heard a bad soundtrack from them. they did fall-out 2, baldurs gate, icewind dale, and others. as for console systems, i really like the music from the legacy of kain/soul reaver series.
Quote:Original post by barakus
Look into Michiru Yamane's work on the Castlevania series, specifically the Symphony of The Night soundtrack.

I believe there were multiple composers for Symphony of the Night.

This is such a diverse compilation! So many different genres of music tapped, and all executed flawlessly. I would say this is probably my favorite musical achievement in all of videogamedom.

Its a work of art.

Armed And Dangerous had one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard in a game. The old Deus Ex had quite impressive music as well. Let us not forget the famous piece from the Legend Of Zelda series. And finally, play Chrono Trigger. For the music, but mainly for the game. Everyone has to play Chrono Trigger.

Maybe I will think of some others later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement