OpenGl or DirectX?

Started by
27 comments, last by NegativeGeForce 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by CTar
One thing which you want to take into consideration is that there could come some problems with OpenGL on Vista, noone can really answer how bad it will be, but more understanding is that OpenGL will be locked at some version and when using that version in windowed mode you will either have to switch to another skin or let the calls be translated to D3D calls.
Actually we can say how bad it will be, because the rumors were debunked a while ago. There will be no problems with OpenGL on Vista.

Wow, that's very nice. All those rumors were making me really scared.
Advertisement
thank you all for your replies
sorry it has taken my so long to check back
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
What sort of projects do you want to work on? Purely games, (scientific) visualisation, general graphics?

Is it for your own personal amusement, or do you want to (eventually) sell any games you make?

Which of MS Windows, Linux or MacOS your "home" Operating System?

Ok jeffers here's the answers to your questions:
I want to make games
I hope to some day make an online game with a business model simialar to MapleStory and GunBound (free to download and play and players can pay me real money for ingame money)
And my home system is Windows
I suppose it's quite unfortunate, then, that the vast majority of the game industry does not agree with you.

As if the Windows PC + Xbox are the only (or even the largest combined) platforms to make games on.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
I suppose it's quite unfortunate, then, that the vast majority of the game industry does not agree with you.

As if the Windows PC + Xbox are the only (or even the largest combined) platforms to make games on.

Neither PS2 nor Gamecube (the other two significant platforms) use either OpenGL or Direct3D; as a consequence they are utterly irrelevant to this discussion. There's something to be said for OpenGL|ES if you're in that arena, but again your choice is generally dictated by the device. So, as far as this discussion is concerned, PC is the only platform to make games on.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
So, as far as this discussion is concerned, PC is the only platform to make games on.
Maybe I'm missing the context, but are you saying it's not worth developing games for any other (non-console) platform other than the Windows PC?
There is no reason not to learn both. As long as you know the theory(Know what vertex buffers are, know what matricies and vectors are for etc.) you can learn either API relatively easy.

For people saying OpenGL is easier they are probally saying that because of it's intermediate mode which isn't going to be used on any real game.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by jyk
So, as far as this discussion is concerned, PC is the only platform to make games on.
Maybe I'm missing the context, but are you saying it's not worth developing games for any other (non-console) platform other than the Windows PC?
No, I'm saying that it's perfectly obvious that this is not a choice you have on any platform other than Windows PC, so bringing it up in this discussion is a waste of time.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
No, I'm saying that it's perfectly obvious that this is not a choice you have on any platform other than Windows PC, so bringing it up in this discussion is a waste of time.
Ah, I see.
Alot of professionals would probably call me a beginner game programmer, and I have to say learning OpenGL with NeHe's tutorials was very easy to get started. DirectX is a bit more involving, but you can always learn it later on wich I plan to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement