(With source) Yes friends I just wet myself. And I'm very thankful for it.

Started by
76 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years, 1 month ago
I have a number of issues with this:

1. Nintendo is using this to sidestep the most important issue: what will new games look like and how will they play?

2. Is this Revolutionary concepts of this console going to be that it is the first console to completely eschue new content?

3. We also see Nintendo completely avoiding new IP. Nintendo doesn't have a creative bone in the company anymore, all they know how to do is rehash their own library of games.

4. The vast majority of the gaming market won't care about this. Hardcore gamers are the only ones that will care, and they represent a very small minority.

5. If you are a hardcore gamer, then you already own these games, or you have no objection about downloading them illegally.

6. I already own many of these games. I highly doubt they will create a ROM dumping utility as it would probably be easy to spoof with a spliced cable to a PC. You *will* be paying for games you already own.

7. I already paid for these games a second time when I bought them for my GBA.

• I already paid twice for old hardware when I bought a GBA SP.

• PC Emulation for these consoles is superb, and most modern TVs and pc graphics cards have S-Video connectors. A ROM dumper is cheap, and a good portion of the NES games are in the public domain. Throw in a few general purpose game pads (or the original console gamepads with USB adapters), and you're pretty much set. Load it all onto a laptop if you want to be in your living room. Any $300 or less used laptop you find on eBay will be more than sufficient.

• Old games aren't that much fun anymore. Have you played Streets of Rage lately, even with the original hardware? The controls are sluggish, the framerate is low, the gameplay is highly repetitive, and the bosses are cheap. The truth of the matter is that the game industry has learned a lot about making highly entertaining games in the last 20 years.

• Gametap

• This is a continuation of the morphology of the console into a PC.

• At first, I was really excited about this news. Now that I think about it, it feels rather insulting. In light of the DS Lite (after Nintendo said it would not repacke the DS like it did with the GBA), this is another example of Nintendo repackaging old content and passing it off as "a good bit of nostalgia".

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
    Quote:Original post by capn_midnight

1. Nintendo is using this to sidestep the most important issue: what will new games look like and how will they play?

Well, with the gyroscopic controller, at least they are trying SOMETHING. I might not agree it's the best idea in the world, but it sure is more innovative than anything Sony or MS is trying to pull when it comes to gameplay and interfaces.

• Is this Revolutionary concepts of this console going to be that it is the first console to completely eschue new content?

• There WILL be new games coming out. What leads you to believe there will be less content because you can play old games ?

• We also see Nintendo completely avoiding new IP. Nintendo doesn't have a creative bone in the company anymore, all they know how to do is rehash their own library of games.

• Nintendo has never been about storytelling. I don't care why the hell they're racing and it could have been Ron Jeremy instead of Mario for all I care. Mario Kart was still a lot of fun. And they Have been quite innovative. That tam-tam game for the Gamecube was actually a lot of fun. Yes, it rehashes Donkey Kong, but who cares ?

• The vast majority of the gaming market won't care about this. Hardcore gamers are the only ones that will care, and they represent a very small minority.

• Agreed, this is Nintendo's flaw. But they seem to have given up on mass market appeal in the US in favor of pleasing the hardcore in Japan. Might not have has much growth potential, but there's still a sizeable market.

• If you are a hardcore gamer, then you already own these games, or you have no objection about downloading them illegally.

• Hmm. I might not be THAT hardcore, but why the hell would being hardcore push me to download them illegaly ?

• I already own many of these games. I highly doubt they will create a ROM dumping utility as it would probably be easy to spoof with a spliced cable to a PC. You *will* be paying for games you already own.

• Agreed. But all in all, if I can have a legit version of all the Mario games for 50$ tightly integrated on one console, I'll fork the 50$ without a blink.

• I already paid for these games a second time when I bought them for my GBA.

• Sucks to be you.

• Life's not fair.

• PC Emulation for these consoles is superb, and most modern TVs and pc graphics cards have S-Video connectors. A ROM dumper is cheap, and a good portion of the NES games are in the public domain. Throw in a few general purpose game pads (or the original console gamepads with USB adapters), and you're pretty much set. Load it all onto a laptop if you want to be in your living room. Any $300 or less used laptop you find on eBay will be more than sufficient.

• Yes, and if we are to believe the rumors, the revolution will be priced around 200$ and work much more flawlessly. Why would I buy the 300$ laptop ?

• Old games aren't that much fun anymore. Have you played Streets of Rage lately, even with the original hardware? The controls are sluggish, the framerate is low, the gameplay is highly repetitive, and the bosses are cheap. The truth of the matter is that the game industry has learned a lot about making highly entertaining games in the last 20 years.

• In mostly violent and sport games yes. Multiplayer is a huge plus too. In platformers and quick and dirty puzzle/action ? I honestly don't think so

• You guys seem to see this as THE big thing on the revolution. Other seem to believe it's the controller. I'm willing to add the price tag. I think that, like the Gamecube, the Revolution will be the underdog for mainstream. I still tought the Gamecube was a great console. And I believe the Revolution will have something to offer too.
    >
  • I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
    Quote:Original post by capn_midnight

I'm not quite sure where it is all originating, but I don't think Nintendo is sidestepping as much as it would seem. I think most of that feeling comes from the prospective consumers that are raving about the play-old-games factor (which I find nothing wrong with). You could be right though.

Quote:
  • Is this Revolutionary concepts of this console going to be that it is the first console to completely eschue new content?

• Don't be absurd. Just because they are providing old content doesn't mean they aren't going to provide any new content.

I think you just read too much into the term 'revolutionary'. 'Revolutionary' products come out twice a week. At least this one has something to set it apart from its competitors. Of course, whether or not that thing gives you incentive to buy it is another issue entirely.

Quote:
  • We also see Nintendo completely avoiding new IP. Nintendo doesn't have a creative bone in the company anymore, all they know how to do is rehash their own library of games.

• I think you're being a little narrow-sighted here. Maybe they use the same 12 (or so) characters in all of their games, but that doesn't mean they aren't being creative in other ways. Sure, they aren't re-defining game play or anything, but they're still creative. For example, they took the basics of a soccer game, threw in some power-ups, obstacles, and action clips, and made a new don't-take-this-too-seriously-play-with-your-friends game. That sort of creativity isn't the ground-breaking kind, but it isn't trying to be, and it is still legitimate.

Quote:
  • The vast majority of the gaming market won't care about this. Hardcore gamers are the only ones that will care, and they represent a very small minority.

• Maybe that's their target audience (at least with the play-old-games feature). I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Quote:
  • If you are a hardcore gamer, then you already own these games, or you have no objection about downloading them illegally.

• Eh, be careful about defining groups of people in such a way. That obviously does not apply to every hardcore gamer. I know you're smart enough not to make that kind of generalization. Or maybe you define 'hardcore gamer' differently than me. Even if that were the case, it conflicts with your previous point about targeting hardcore gamers, many of whom, from posts in this and previous discussions, are obviously willing to buy the system.

Quote:
  • I already own many of these games. I highly doubt they will create a ROM dumping utility as it would probably be easy to spoof with a spliced cable to a PC. You *will* be paying for games you already own.

• I think you are right.

Quote:
  • I already paid for these games a second time when I bought them for my GBA.

• You are partly justified here, but I don't think there were Genesis games and TurboGrafx games for those handhelds, which was the original topic of this thread. Not only that, but playing those games on a handheld is much different than playing them on a console hooked up to a T.V. Your frustration is understandable though.

Quote:

• I think there are a number of people whom find the whole ROM process a hassle, myself included. I suspect downloading and playing games on the Revolution will be far less involved. You are also ignoring the fact that the Revolution has appealing characteristics that a computer doesn't have, such as portability* and the ability to play Revolution games (it's still valid, I think, to want to be able to play both games on the same system).

* I know you mentioned a laptop, but I don't think many people are going to buy a cheap laptop rather than a Revolution just so they can play old games. This is again part of the hastle-factor.

Quote:

• I tend to agree with you on this subject, but I know many people whom are totally content playing old games.

Quote:
  • Gametap

• Isn't that a monthly-subscription system? That's what really puts me off about it. I think most people whom want to play old games just have a select few old games they want to play, and paying monthly for them just doesn't seem worth it. If they offer a setup for buying single games, feel free to correct me.

Quote:
  • This is a continuation of the morphology of the console into a PC.

• I disagree. Just because a PC can do it doesn't mean it is a trait inherent to PCs. PCs are just an easy medium to accomplish the resurrection of old games on, especially considering the fact that most of these resurrections are made by indie programmers. I think it was just taking a good idea that happened to be executed on a PC and putting it into a more accessible place.

Quote:
    At first, I was really excited about this news. Now that I think about it, it feels rather insulting. In light of the DS Lite (after Nintendo said it would not repacke the DS like it did with the GBA), this is another example of Nintendo repackaging old content and passing it off as "a good bit of nostalgia".

If you feel insulted, you may be taking it too personally.

I don't think the DS Lite is an example of "passing it off as a good bit of nostalgia." I thought it made people mad because they felt like they were ripped off when they bought the original DS, or because they see it as a better product and know they want to buy, even though they already own a DS. Your example becomes even further separated with the fact that Nintendo hasn't really done this before - it's not just a few old games, it's a huge collection of old games immediately available through download.

I think I understand your viewpoint, but I think some of it is based on loose foundations, or presented improperly.
    Quote:Original post by extralongpants
    I think there are a number of people whom find the whole ROM process a hassle, myself included.

With the 3 second google search you can find every Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, Colecovision, Gameboy Color, Genesis, Game Gear, Microsoft MSX1, Microsoft MSX2, Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, SNES USA rom on one freaking page with each system in one neat zip file.

The only roms that are a hassle to find are PSX (because they're huge) and GBA (which you can easily buy and shouldn't be DLing them anyway).

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
    I think there are a number of people whom find the whole ROM process a hassle, myself included.

With the 3 second google search you can find every Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, Colecovision, Gameboy Color, Genesis, Game Gear, Microsoft MSX1, Microsoft MSX2, Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, SNES USA rom on one freaking page with each system in one neat zip file.

The only roms that are a hassle to find are PSX (because they're huge) and GBA (which you can easily buy and shouldn't be DLing them anyway).

3 seconds is a definite exaggeration. Also, that must be one huge page - I think your point would be better made without being so sensationalist.

I've played ROMs before. I'm aware of the process. I still find it a hassle. Finding a good emulator along with a glitch-free ROM is not a 3 second task. Switching between games on different platforms is also a hassle (compared to what Nintendo will most likely implement).

What I was getting at is that Nintendo will likely make this a very simple anyone-can-do-it thing, much like Apple did with its iPod.

I know you can do it now, but I also know there's an easier way. Nintendo is in a position to provide that.

3 seconds is a definite exaggeration. Also, that must be one huge page - I think your point would be better made without being so sensationalist.

I've played ROMs before. I'm aware of the process. I still find it a hassle. Finding a good emulator along with a glitch-free ROM is not a 3 second task. Switching between games on different platforms is also a hassle (compared to what Nintendo will most likely implement).

What I was getting at is that Nintendo will likely make this a very simple anyone-can-do-it thing, much like Apple did with its iPod.

I know you can do it now, but I also know there's an easier way. Nintendo is in a position to provide that.

It's not an exagerration, it's the first result. Everything is on one small page. It's just a list of zip files that contain the entire USA/World set of roms. I'd link to it to prove it but I'm not in the mood to get banned. For emulators themselves, just go to zophar.net and pick one.

The emulation feature is meaningless considering I can already I am not about to shell out $150 - $200 for something that my PC can already do better for free.

The emulation feature is meaningless considering I can already I am not about to shell out $150 - $200 for something that my PC can already do better for free.

Yes, but you're not paying $150 - $200 for a 6-in-one emulator, you're paying $150 - $200 to buy a new console that will play the new Revolution games (with an innovative controller), DVDs, AND games from 6 older consoles. You could by an XBox 360 instead for $400...
    It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
    Quote:Original post by Frequency

Yes, but you're not paying $150 - $200 for a 6-in-one emulator, you're paying $150 - $200 to buy a new console that will play the new Revolution games (with an innovative controller), DVDs, AND games from 6 older consoles. You could by an XBox 360 instead for $400...

I said the emulation feature is meaningless, not the whole console.

It's not an exagerration, it's the first result. Everything is on one small page. It's just a list of zip files that contain the entire USA/World set of roms. . For emulators themselves, just go to zophar.net and pick one.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that a page like that actually existed. My appologies.

Quote:I'd link to it to prove it but I'm not in the mood to get banned

The legality issue is another arguement in favor of the Revolution, I suppose (which is why I stopped the whole ROM thing in the first place).

Quote:

Eh, I guess if that were the only reason to buy a Revolution, that would be understandable, but there are other reasons as well. Although I guess it's only a matter of time before there is a revolution emulator [lol]. That's a strange concept - would the Revolution emulator also emulate the Revolution's emulator? [lol].

[EDIT] - Doh, just saw that you said "the emulation feature is meaningless..." and I applied it to the whole system. Still, I argue that they will make the interface for playing/getting ROMs much more friendly, which would be a cool thing, in my opinion.
    For me, being able to play all those old games is a reasonable plus to buying the Revolution. I was pretty late to the console gaming party and missed out on a whole bunch of classic games. However, exactly how much of a plus this is will depend on the unanswered questions:
    • How much will the games cost?
    • How easy will they be to get?
    • Will they extend this service to Australia?

Of course, I'm probably going to pick up a Revolution anyway to play the new Nintendo titles and try out the new controller, so I'm not sure if I need any extra inducement!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement