(With source) Yes friends I just wet myself. And I'm very thankful for it.

Started by
76 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by skyfire

dude, you underestimate old people. my best friend's grandfather barely knows how to use a computer and yet he knows how to download roms and how to play them on his computer.

ah but is it legal to download and play the roms? Nintendo makes it legal, simple(hopefully), convenient (grandma and grandpa can play on the big tv). hard to beat that, IMO.

I hope this (being able to play these nostalgic games)will encourage parents to play with their children again.

nah, they'll probably fight over whose turn it is to play [grin].
---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Advertisement
Maybe I'm missing something, but my first impression was that Nintendo want to make a service like the Xbox Arcade service, right? And everyone is up in arms because

A) They are charging for old games most people already paid for
B) They are rehashing old games and trying to say it’s a big new feature

What I think everyone might be forgetting is that these roms are probably not going to be straight ports like the ones you download and play on the PC (or even like the ones that were on the Snes or N64). What we might find is they have all been tweaked to interface with the Wand controller, which would make sense since I fail to see how any Snes games or N64 games would work with the 4 or 5 buttons the revolution controller has on it. So for example, Pilot Wings is now a case of pointing on the screen or tilting the wand in the direction you want to go, as opposed to wiggling a little stick on a n64 control pad.

That’s my impression of it. Of course, if this isn’t the case, how in the world are you supposed to play N64 games with the wand controller?
Quote:Original post by boolean
Maybe I'm missing something, but my first impression was that Nintendo want to make a service like the Xbox Arcade service, right? And everyone is up in arms because

What I think everyone might be forgetting is that these roms are probably not going to be straight ports like the ones you download and play on the PC (or even like the ones that were on the Snes or N64). What we might find is they have all been tweaked to interface with the Wand controller, which would make sense since I fail to see how any Snes games or N64 games would work with the 4 or 5 buttons the revolution controller has on it. So for example, Pilot Wings is now a case of pointing on the screen or tilting the wand in the direction you want to go, as opposed to wiggling a little stick on a n64 control pad.

That’s my impression of it. Of course, if this isn’t the case, how in the world are you supposed to play N64 games with the wand controller?

Don't forget the nunchaku attachment and the fact that you can plug the controller in a "Revolutioned" Wavebird Controller.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by boolean

Actually, I doubt we will be seeing the wand control in most of the emulated games. It can clearly work for NES games, but for anything else it seems to be lacking. Notice that the console has GC controller ports so that you can use your old controllers with those games.

It is speculated that attachments will be released for the older consoles. The wands have the port on the bottom where the nunchaku(spl?) plugs in. Since all of the active electronics are in the wand you can get away with pretty cheap shells that resemble the old controllers.

It will be interesting to see if this cheaper expansion method will allow/cause mor eproliferation of custom controls like the bongos.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Quote:Original post by intrest86
Quote:Original post by skyfire
i don't see why everyone is impressed by the nintendo revolution's emulation feature. did you know that it's possible to play all of the roms that the revolution can play on your xbox or ps2 with little or no modification? it's also possible to play every nes game on your gba with nothing more than a $50 flash card. face it, nintendo has missed the train. the emulation feature is old news and i'll be supprised if this feature sells well.

No offense, but you are thinking like a techie. WE all know how to handle all of this technology and emulate X, Y, and Z. But Nintendo makes it as clear as possible that they are targeting more than just hardcore players.

Think of all the people that used to play NES and SNES, but stopped because games/controls got too complicated. They aren't hardcore gamers, but they are gamers. This makes it as easy as it can be for them and is completely.

Nintendo's entire goal is to make it so that your mom and dad will play too. Bringing back old games that they remember could be a good move for them.

Exactly. I have the knowledge to download and play ROMs on a PC, emulate it on an Xbox, use flashcards on a GBA, etc. But a lot of people don't. And even though I know how to do all this, I hardly ever do, because much of it is just a hassle. I am principly a PC gamer and the only reason I would buy a console is for the "just works", simple gaming experience.

I play consoles so I don't have to deal with messing with hardware settings, downloading patches, drivers, hacks, fixes, fighting incompatibilities, keeping track of files, etc. I pay the premium for a dedicated gaming machine so that someone else takes care of all this for me and just lets me play games. Then there's the convenience of your own couch and TV, as well. People keep saying anyone can plug their computer into their TV, but how often is this actually practical? Sure isn't for me.

If Nintendo really does deliver the "best of" the console scene circa 1989-1995 in a simple, neat package, it is adding real value to the system.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Don't forget the nunchaku attachment

Really? Or are you jesting? If not, cool! Yet *another* innovative way for me to twat myself in the face!

All things taken into consideration personally I think Ninty are onto a winner , but then I've been a fanboy for donkeys years so maybe I'm a little biased. As has already been said the key thing about emulation is that rom ownership is a grey area at best, this way it's all good baby. Revolution Live! here I come.

PS - yes, if it runs Zelda then that's all I care about. But just look at those Twilight Princess screenies.. (I have a hunch this'll get delayed until the Rev. anyway)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Quote:Original post by DrewGreen
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Don't forget the nunchaku attachment

Really? Or are you jesting? If not, cool! Yet *another* innovative way for me to twat myself in the face!

All things taken into consideration personally I think Ninty are onto a winner , but then I've been a fanboy for donkeys years so maybe I'm a little biased. As has already been said the key thing about emulation is that rom ownership is a grey area at best, this way it's all good baby. Revolution Live! here I come.

PS - yes, if it runs Zelda then that's all I care about. But just look at those Twilight Princess screenies.. (I have a hunch this'll get delayed until the Rev. anyway)

Click here for a picture of the "nunchaku".

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Ah, I see :) Got my hopes up there, but an actual digital nunchaku would be awesome - beat 'em ups on a whole new level - real pain included.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement