How different is DX10 vs DX9?

Started by
24 comments, last by Monder 18 years ago
About the closest thing I can find is

D3DXMatrixRotationAxis() where you setup a D3DXVECTOR structure to tell it where you want to rotate but what about tranforms?
Thanks

edit
ok this should work
D3DXMatrixTranslation() :) what would be nice is a really good book that covers all DX9 and its features... Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
1. What is XNA? I am assuming this is for xbox360? So DX will stay on PC.
XNA is a fairly big new initiative and set of technologies - Microsoft.com/xna. Also have a read of this recent thread.

2. How do I translate a object on the screen to move it around in DX? I see so far there arent' functions to do this Translate(x,y,z) which is nice, but I don't see this on DX...
You'll need to use matrix transformations for this, it might not be immediately obvious but it is a very powerful and flexible technique. If you want further discussion on this sort of thing I'd recommend you start a new thread to get it the attention it deserves. Although I'd also suggest you read through the "programming guide" and the tutorials in the SDK first [wink]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Ok I looked at the XNA site, and seems like a good idea, but I could care less about coding for the xbox360. But what I don't see is what languages will XNA be in? C++ or C#? Any ideas on that. Thanks
But what I don't see is what languages will XNA be in? C++ or C#? Any ideas on that.
There is no answer to your question for just "XNA". "XNA Framework" (part of the bigger picture) is .NET/Managed code only - so C#, VB.Net etc... I don't know about MC++, but I suppose that would be possible. Other components such as "XNA Build" cover more than programming assets/tools, so it's a moot point there. "XNA Studio" is just a general tool from what I've seen - so again, not so specific to a language.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hmm so as of now I may have to learn C# instead down the road? Also one quick question how do I reset the identity matrix? If I translate an object to xyz and want to start over again I should need to reset the identity matrix, and I am not sure if DX has these but some kind of pop/push matrix functions to remember the currect matrix and allow me to work somwhere else for a bit... Thanks this will be the last question for awhile. :)
Well AFAIK C# will be usable on the XBox 360 (or rather .net will be) so C# may gain popularity as a language for game development, but unmanaged code (i.e. C++) isn't going to stop being used in gamedev any time soon. Anyway if you know C++ picking up C# should be easy.

As for how to reset the identity matrix, you appear to be getting your terms confused as an identity matrix is a certain type of matrix that if you multiply any matrix by you get the matrix that you multiplied by it (i.e. if I is the identity matrix and A is any arbitrary matrix AI = A and IA = A).

You are correct that D3D has no matrix stack though IIRC D3DX does.

As to your question I would guess you instead intend to ask how can I set the model matrix to the identity? In which case the answer is to use the IDirect3DDevice9::SetTransform function passing in D3DTS_WORLD as the matrix type (first argument) and passing an identity matrix in as the second argument (you can generate this using D3DX, specifically the D3DXMATRIXIdentity function).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement