Gamemaker or C?

Started by
72 comments, last by MadDog72 17 years, 12 months ago
Thank you all for your replies. I haven't given up, not in the least. I just have a tendency to get caught up in my daily activities. I usually have very little time to take care of everything.

I read the replies and got some good info from them (and a few good laughs). In regard to some of the advise, I think I WILL hold off on OpenGL and SDL until I'm more proficient with programming. Regarding my choice of complilers, I think I'm going to go with C/C++. My decision is based on the fact that I currenly posses to two C-based books: one, on programming games in C and another on programming windows-based programs in C++. Both books I picked up from a free bookstore and both books provide a good amount of info for programming. Basically, I have the tools I need to begin right in from of me (or should I say in my closet). I will return to Game Maker from time to time to toy around with it because drag and drop is just too good to turn up.

I will most surely delve into Python. I've never heard of it. If it is indeed an industry standard, then I'd love to learn more about it. I say industry because I like using what the pros do. For instance, I use no other image editing programme outside photoshop. There's a reason why the pros use this programme. Anyway, I'll look more into Python. Because I have very limited access to the web, I'll have to print out whatever info into a manual format.

I actually started writing a C++ programme showing how to create a window in windows. I followed the coding to the letter and still got some error message. And for the life of me I couldn't understand why. So, I can see where learning a language from scratch can be daunting if you don't understand the concept of the language--the who, why, when, and where's. Because I'm constantly busy, I have this really bad habit of sitting at the computer to learn a new something and expecting things to go right first time. I know, I know....

But, game making is something I wish to learn and invest my time in. I have a vision of a 3D game project and I need to take the steps to see it to fruition. 'A thousand mile journey always begins with one step' sort of thing.

Thanks again for all the replies!! You all have made heathen very happy and inspired.!!
Advertisement
Quote:
So, my goal now is to start with 2D games, just to get me feet wet and learn (and understand) the programming behind game making

Just want to say, this is a good plan of attack.
Good for you Onan (Anon?)- follow your nose and you'll get there...

It's reassuring to see that language debates still inspire the irrational passions that they always have! I’ve been lucky enough to write games in a complete range of languages from 68000 assembly and C++ (in a commercial capacity) and Blitz Basic, Game Maker and Stagecast (in a research / teaching capacity). In my opinion there is no doubt that the ‘best’ language depends on the user, their experience and the time and patience they have to devote to learning a language. C++ is undoubtedly the language to aim for if you have career aspirations in the ‘mainstream’ gaming industry, but that doesn’t mean C++ programmers should feel superior. Using a professional tool, doesn’t make you a professional ;) Personally I would have more respect for a programmer that makes a great game that pushes the boundaries of a system like Game Maker, than one that makes an uninspired (and more often unfinished) game in C++.

All the best,
Jake
www.gamelearning.net
Quote:Original post by onanI actually started writing a C++ programme showing how to create a window in windows. I followed the coding to the letter and still got some error message. And for the life of me I couldn't understand why. So, I can see where learning a language from scratch can be daunting if you don't understand the concept of the language--the who, why, when, and where's. Because I'm constantly busy, I have this really bad habit of sitting at the computer to learn a new something and expecting things to go right first time. I know, I know....

The Windows API is a horrible mess. When I tried to write a program using it, I was discouraged too. Even a simple program is very long and there are so many places things can go wrong. GLUT (part of OpenGL) and SDL both provide much better ways of creating windows. I'd suggest you look into one of these when you are ready to do windows and graphics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement