C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by
261 comments, last by Melvin18 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by CondorMan
So, if and when it comes to it, I'll make sure that the correct libraries are packaged with the .exe as I won't have control over what's on the other PC.

On my machine and with VS8 Standard, the redistributable DLLs have been placed in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\redist. I suspect VC8 Express does something similar. Double-check the redist.txt file in the root of your VC8E distribution.

For more details, see this article on MSDN, and more specifically this article for VC8E projects. Or you could use a program such as NSIS, MSI...

Deployment is beyond the scope of this workshop.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
I was able to find Sam teaches your self C++ in 24 hours version 4 august 2004, but I wasn't able to find 21 days, whats the major differences can I still do the workshop?
Delsana,

As you probably noticed, "Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours" is not the same book as "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days", nor is it a previous edition of the book. The structure of the book will be different as there are more lessons, though each lesson goes into less detail.

As to whether "it'll work"....that'll be up to you to decide. You're welcome to read your book and try and follow along with our discussions. If you find you're able to follow along and everything is making sense, then the book will work just fine. If that's not the case, then you might need to get the official textbook.

Many people have pointed out that there's the 2nd Edition of the book online, but I don’t encourage reading it as it has many errors and is based upon a previous C++ Standard, so it might just confuse you more than anything.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Um.....Thank you I've learned C++ ,but not very well ,I wish I can learn more here
I must say this is a great idea. I've recently joined the forum and this is just the sort of thing that i was looking for. I've sent off for the book so once i've gone through the first few chapters i'll proboly give some of the projects ago.

:)
Hi there,

I noticed this forum a couple of days ago and decided to get the book so i could go through the workshop, its an excelent idea, i just need to catch up now :)

since im quite behind, if i have any questions while i catch up can i still post in the specified weekly forums?

Again such a great idea this will help me stay motivated while learning such a vast and diffcult language.

Thanks
Yes you may post a question in the associated thread. However, I strongly urge that you read all of the responses first in case someone already had your question. Also, be patient as the enthusiasm for this workshop isn't quite as high as it was when it started. Some people, like me, will be checking it now and then to see if they may help.

Hope this helps!

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Well hopefully this workshop picks up steam and finishes. But I would suggest to anyone learning C++ and wanting to make games to use this workshop and afterwards pick up "Data Structures for Game Programmers". An excellent combination!

In the meanwhile, don't give up and for those of you who participated in the workshop from the beginning, please continue to particpate to the very end! [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
It sounds like a great idea. Most likely for it to be somewhat coherent and organized the Staff are gonna have to give you your own forum. The Lounge won't cut it, I'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure if Lazy Foo isn't too busy that he might be interested.

Indeed.
Is there any onli edition for Teach Youself C++ In 21 Days ?

I look forward to have another kind of workshop from Gamdev.Net especially in

Data Structures

The Standard Template Library

DirectX

OpenGL

Mathematics for Computer Graphics (Linear Algebra)

Video game Physics

Windows Programming (Win32 API or .NET)

Shader programming (Pixel/vertex)

Skeletal Animation and Modeling

Procedural Texturing and materials

Network programming

Programming languages and translators

C++/CLR and the .NET Framework Library

Thanks for your help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement