🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by
261 comments, last by Melvin18 14 years, 12 months ago
i will join in, i want to start C++ :)

contact me at tyjotr@aol.com
Thanks
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Also I think it should be mandatory that everyone use VC EE OR Dev-C++.

I vote for VC EE, simply because of the excellent debugger. Though I think it would be acceptable for students to use any compiler, provided they note which one they are using.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Heya All,

About Textbooks:

Here are the "textbooks" that I've narrowed it down to. I'm making another run to some bookstores this afternoon to make a final decision, unless anyone has other titles to propose:

• Beginning C++ Game Programming
  • C++ Primer Plus
  • Sams Teach Yourself C++ Programming in 21 days
  • C++ Without Fear
  • C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner
  • Schaum's Outline of Programming with C++
  • C++: A Beginner's Guide

About IDE's:

As for IDE, there will definitely be a standard for the workshop. It will most likely be Dev-C++ as it comes with many of the books, it has a small download size for those who don’t have the books but want to follow our discussions, and is relatively easy to get working.

I believe Visual Studio is the superior IDE, but its large download size and its VAST array of settings, etc...can sometimes make it overly complicated for the novice programmer.

About Tutors:

As for the tutors, once we get a forum of our very own, we will once again post a thread for people to 'apply' for tutorship. This will include posting a brief history, work experience, and education. People will be chosen from those who apply. Tutors will then be stickied in a thread called "C++ Workshop Tutor Bio's." The thread will be closed for general posting and will just serve as a place where people can go to learn a little something about those who are helping them and claim to be "experts." [smile]

People who are tutors are welcome to put something in their signature, but I don’t see GD.net adding new tags just for the C++ Workshop tutors - though if our little program proves successful, and it branches out into other languages or more advanced topics, it may yet be a possibility.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
I couldn't give any recommendation on books, but I'm sure any one of the above would be a good choice. I'm sure that anywhere the book(s) are lacking, the combined knowledge of the instructors will serve to iron things out.

As far as compilers, I think that Dev is *much* more beginner friendly. Easy to set up, somewhat more customizable, waaaaay smaller, and the devpaks are idiotproof. Although VC++ EE is a superior compiler. I think that if and when we get a new forum, we should post a giant "start here" sticky with recommendations/links/instructions/tips for compilers, books, online resources, course outline, and perhaps even an "Is programming right for you" article. That should hopefully sort all the applicants and get them ready and primed for the course.

Also, as I said, I would really love to teach, although I have little in the way of credentials. I'm only eighteen. I took one high school intro course, and other than that, I'm self taught. All I have to my name is a rather basic 2D videogame I wrote in allegro (slither.freewebpage.org) and I read TC++PL...that's about it. I hope that's enough to qualify me :\
______________________________Stranger things have happened...The Following Sentence is True. The Above Sentence is False.
Quote: Original post by Photonman
Also, as I said, I would really love to teach, although I have little in the way of credentials. I'm only eighteen. I took one high school intro course, and other than that, I'm self taught. All I have to my name is a rather basic 2D videogame I wrote in allegro (slither.freewebpage.org) and I read TC++PL...that's about it. I hope that's enough to qualify me :\

lol, Im in the same situation as you. Im 17, completely self taught, and all I have to show for myself is one noobish game (tetris clone).

One suggestion I have is that we do team projects, to make the whole thing a little more interactive and social. But I think we should hold off on team projects untill the students show that they're stickin in it. It sucks when your team members disappear on you.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
I'm interested in joining this as a student.
I was about to post some books as well from when I looked around. I will avoid posting them because many of them cross reference directly with your search so it is not necessary. You have a nice selection to choose from.
Quote: Original post by jwalsh
All,

I'll continue my research of good books tomorrow. At this point, I'm trying to stick with books in the range of about $25 USD. I know most people can't afford to spend much on programming books. Which is unfortunate. If I had my choice we'd use Deitel & Deitel's "C++ How To Program." It's an amazing book in my opinion....but it rings up at $99 USD. (ouch)

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot to even mention the name!

I've read a few books on C++, if I hadn't, there's no way I would even try to tutor. A certain book I've read seems fairly good, "Object-Oriented Programming in C++." First off, it teaches C++ in a complete OOP manner. It has a slow learning curve, and slowly puts ideas out. It doesn't get tons of details like some of the other books, but it WILL teach you C++ all the same. Best of all, at the end of each chapter, it PROVIDES a summary, review questions, and excersizes. In the middle of the chapters, there are plenty of code examples. Now, there's no reason we can't add to this, but it'd definately help us get started quicker with less work.

A link to Amazon.com with user reviews:

Linky.

Looking over the web, the top price is $50 ($49.99) and goes as low as $30. Just my two cents for now.

If not this, I throw my ballet in for Beginning C++ Game Programming.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
C++ Primer Plus

I suggest this book as the course manual.
It helped me the most out of a gazillion C++ books when I was wee programmer.

How far into C++ is the program going?
Daniel Millerhttp://formulaic.net
Moodle would be IDEAL for this. If you can get past it's look, it's far superior to the Game Institute in format, better than Blackboard, better than most LMSs out there.

But then, I've spent the past entire semester researching online learning. A forum is probably not the best way to go.

And lastly, our forums do support sub-forums.

---
Michael Tanczos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement