🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by
261 comments, last by Melvin18 14 years, 12 months ago
Thanks dbzprogrammer,

I remembered there was a book review section here on GD.net so I checked it out and added a few more titles to my list of books to do some more research on.

The Complete List:
  • Beginning C++ Game Programming
  • C++ Primer Plus
  • Sams Teach Yourself C++ Programming in 21 days
  • C++ Without Fear
  • C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner
  • Schaum's Outline of Programming with C++
  • C++: A Beginner's Guide
  • C++ Programming Fundamentals
  • Object Oriented Programming in C++
  • C++ From the Ground Up
  • C++ The Complete Reference
I will be taking another trip to the bookstores this evening to read over a few of the chapters of each of these books I can find. I'm kind of giving my own rating to the books based on a few things:
  • Price
  • Number of Chapters
  • Pages per chapter
  • Amazon rating
  • Amazon reviews
  • Does it have questions at the end of each chapter?
  • Does it have exercises at the end of each chapter?
  • Does it have a summary at the end of each chapter?
  • Is there a reasonable amount of example code?
  • Are the examples just excerpts or complete working programs?
  • Are the examples related to video games at all?
  • Does the example code have line numbers for easy reference?
  • Will the book make a useful reference in addition to a guide?
  • Does the book go deep enough into the material for my liking?
  • Does the book present the more difficult concepts in a reader-friendly fashion?
Once I have weighed each of the above books by these questions and more, I'll try to make an informed decision, so that all the students will have the best learning experience they can.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
What your are doing sounds like a great idea! I still do not know if I fall between a tutor or a young tadpole though. I'll just keep up with this thread to see what the plans are.
Quote: Original post by Michael Tanczos
Moodle would be IDEAL for this. If you can get past it's look, it's far superior to the Game Institute in format, better than Blackboard, better than most LMSs out there.

But then, I've spent the past entire semester researching online learning. A forum is probably not the best way to go.

And lastly, our forums do support sub-forums.

---
Michael Tanczos

That's cool. Thanks for posting that, Michael. I'd agree that a forum may not be the best format for this endeavor. Unfortunately, GDNet is where the people go that need help, and there's such a great community already here.

After chatting with a few of the other staff and moderators, I think the Workshop would work best like this:

Proposal

Chapter Threads: There will be a new forum created for the workshop. Each week a thread will be created that covers the current chapter. People can then post their questions and answers for the current chapter in that thread. People who come late to the workshop can read over the previous threads and continue to post their new questions.

The weekly chapter thread will be mirrored (and stickied) in "For Beginners." The first post of each weekly thread will be structured with a brief introduction to the workshop, and provide links back to the C++ Workshop Forum and the "Tutors" thread (See below), so that people can easily navigate to us from FB, and follow the conversation of the current week.

Stickied Tutors Thread: There will be a stickied thread for people to apply as a tutor, which will consist of posting a brief bio about themselves including education, some work history, and how long they've been programming. Tutors which are accepted will be indicated in the list at the top of the thread. Regardless of being accepted as a "tutor," people are encouraged to answer the questions of others. Being selected as a tutor simply means that readers should pay special attention to the responses given by those individuals.

Project Threads: Additionally, threads will be created for each of the "Projects of the Month," Where the first post outlines the details and requirements of the project. People can then use those threads to discuss the project, get design ideas, ask questions, and post their links to completed projects.

Let me know what you guys think of the idea in its current form?

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
I especially like the project idea, as it would be a great way for people to learn all aspects of development, from design to debugging. It would also be a great way to review multiple C++ concepts. =D
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
I think this format will work out amazingly good.
Sounds great! If this workshop/course works out as well as it was planned to be, maybe you can consider some future workshops on Beginning DirectX Programming. Just my 2 cents...
Quote: Original post by vrok137
Sounds great! If this workshop/course works out as well as it was planned to be, maybe you can consider some future workshops on Beginning DirectX Programming. Just my 2 cents...

I can definately see doing continuing workshops on more advanced topics and other programming languages.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
This sounds great, and I really think it will make learning easier and more fun. (Sounds like something an elementary teacher would say). But seriously, I'm psyched.
Yes, I am also looking forward to it[smile].
Quote: Original post by vrok137

Really,[wink][wow]. We will definitely learn something by such workshop/course[cool].
Sign me up :D

cwc.lemon@gmail.com

if i ask stupid questions or act stupid .. its usually cause im drunk or high sorry in advance

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement