Where do i learn C# /C++

Started by
7 comments, last by JWalsh 17 years, 10 months ago
I wanna learn C#/C++ and i want to know where i can learn it. I rather videos than reading and i like it free. does anyone know where i can get free C#/C++ learning videos. thanks
Advertisement
I can not confirm whether or not the videos are any good (I've seen level editor video tutorials, but those are obviously not comparible to programming ones), but 3DBuzz has video tutorials on C++ and the like. They encourage you to interact with the community, and subsequently, in order to view all of the available videos, you have to obtain a certain level of activity on the site. However, you will at least have access to a handful right after you join.

Do you want to learn C++ or C#? They are two different languages!
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Microsoft has some fairly good C# videos. I can’t remember where I found them though. I think it’s the same place where you download Visual C# 2005.
They're different languages, and you'll need different resources for each - I'd advise picking one of them (at least for now) and getting started with it.

Visual C# - Easy to Learn has some good video tutorials for beginners.

Visual C++ - Easy to Learn also lists some video tutorials, but I have no idea if they're any good or not. You could also try the (written) tutorials at www.cprogramming.com.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I would say wanna write a footie game and maybe write some 3d engines that mostly i wanna write games and some software and for me now it dont matter the platform.
I would wanna learn both like C++ first then when i'm familiar learn C#.
Its your choice, but as advice its slightly pointless to learn both, especially learning one just to learn the other.

As they are so similar in syntax, you will find it harder to learn C++ and then C# than just learning one, as when you learn your second language you have to "unlearn" the other one.

JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples
I wanna choose but i dont know what to pick. I work extensively in windows and i wanna code games and maybe game engines so which would u guys recommend.
It's not even CLOSE to pointless to learn both C++ and C#.

The more you know the more competitive you are in the workplace, and the more skilled you become. As well, learning additional programming languages is like learning additional "natural" languages. Sometimes there are concepts and ideas which cannot be adequately expressed in one language, but can be done so quite easily in a different language. A skilled programmer recognizes the different benefits of each languages and chooses to use the most appropriate for the task at hand.

As C# and C++ are similar in syntax, there is an easy transition from one to the other, so there's little excuse for NOT learning both. As for which to learn first, that's merely preference. I learned C++ first, as did most developers on this forum, but that doesn't make it the "best" way or the "easiest" way to do so. Many will claim that C++ is more difficult than C# to learn, but cant really specify why that may be true.

In my personal opinion, they are both powerful languages, and you'd do well to learn either. C++ has been around longer and thus has established itself as the more dominant language, but C# is gaining popularity quickly. I have no advice as to which to learn first, do some research about the uses of each language on the Internet, and then make the decision for yourself.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement