Losing can be fun?

Started by
27 comments, last by Spoonbender 17 years, 9 months ago
From Wired I actually sort of agree with this. I guess one of the games I like most is Ultima 7. And while I do play it alot, I've had a lot more fun with cheat mode on and just causing utter chaos, completely destroying any chance of actually having a real shot at winning. What games are there that honestly promote fun in losing that you don't feel that bad? And honestly, how do you accomplish such a task?
Advertisement
Losing can be fun if you know you lost doing the correct thing, often happens in poker. You can easily take fun out of being beaten by someone as one-off, you know u'll kick his ass for the next 50 times.

Dave
Simcity. Most citied can survive a few natural disasters, to make it interesting you really have to pile em on.
There was this game on the Dreamcast called Mars Matrix a few years ago. Possibly the hardest shooting game I've played in my life. But it was so fun that I spent hours unlocking features so that I could just barely beat it with zero continues and 1 life left. More games need to be like that.
Trapping all of your sims in one room, with no doors and no way to cook, clean or relieve themselves.

Dave
I used to do the same in Lemmings 2 on the Amiga and again on GTA on the PC. In Lemmings I used to 'section' them off into 2 or three groups and spend ages making them have a mini war with each other. Better than the real game IMHO.

Same with GTA, I used to throw all the cheats on and just go cause mayhem. Thinking about it, I do the same in Destory All Humans! - if I'm sucking, I'll just go make a mess of anything I can.

It's MY game, I play how I want :)

Edit: Hell I even did it in the Sims, trapping them in rooms, letting their houses go to shit and just seeing what happens.
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Simcity. Most citied can survive a few natural disasters, to make it interesting you really have to pile em on.

Yeah, me too. I used to love building a massive city and then just wiping it out :D
Quote:Original post by Whackjack
There was this game on the Dreamcast called Mars Matrix a few years ago. Possibly the hardest shooting game I've played in my life. But it was so fun that I spent hours unlocking features so that I could just barely beat it with zero continues and 1 life left. More games need to be like that.

Never heard of it. <wink> I wonder why.
I received a NASCAR racing game in a pack of a bunch of other games for Mac OS, and, not caring for the race, decided to turn the car around and take on the other drivers head on.

Later, the same company produced an F-1 car racing game, and, well, F-1 cars are not built for smash-up derby.

Games that let you produce creative amounts of random chaos are the bestest.
I only get mad about losing in games if it's because of a flaw in the game. I mean, unless it's a funny flaw, and then I'm laughing. Even when I'm playing Burnout, and trying to win the US Circuit Racer Grand Prix for the hundredth time, and crash for the fiftieth time in the first eight seconds, I just get excited; not so much frustrated. That's especially true for me as the games get simpler and more addictive. It's totally cool if I screw up at Penguins in Space, and everybody loves Ramboing through some Halo levels.

As far as making a game that's fun no matter how you play... Just try to remove any other frustrating or annoying elements (glitches, annoying voice actors :P, awful cut scenes, bad controls), and you're well on your way. Past that, make sure that the gameplay itself is fun so that the playing - not just the winning - is part of the excitement. Or, make sure your death animations are hilarious :P

Quote:I received a NASCAR racing game in a pack of a bunch of other games for Mac OS, and, not caring for the race, decided to turn the car around and take on the other drivers head on.
I totally did that with one of the Motocross motorcycle games with friends. SO much fun.

[Edited by - Avatar God on July 17, 2006 5:39:06 PM]
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement