Losing can be fun?

Started by
27 comments, last by Spoonbender 17 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Dave
Trapping all of your sims in one room, with no doors and no way to cook, clean or relieve themselves.

Dave

I somehow read this as {cook,clean,relieve}\ themselves.. Haha, cook themselves.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Advertisement
Anyone who's played Halo co-op with me knows that I have a strict tradition to stop at a certain spot in one of the first levels and drive the Warthog straight off a cliff that happens to have a really nice view of a waterfall. Also, explosions make it better.

And I think if I had counted, I wouldn't be surprised if I've spent more time driving against the traffic than with it in racing games of any kind.
Quote:Original post by Whackjack
There was this game on the Dreamcast called Mars Matrix a few years ago. Possibly the hardest shooting game I've played in my life. But it was so fun that I spent hours unlocking features so that I could just barely beat it with zero continues and 1 life left. More games need to be like that.

I could never get into Mars Matrix... it seemed to me like one of those shooters where sometimes you just couldn't avoid getting hit no matter how good you are, and that's unfair. I'm a huge fan of Ikaruga, another super-hard shooter but with much more finesse to it.

I like doing the losing-as-fun thing with GTA, causing crazed mayhem (no codes, no tank) and seeing how long I can live before I get killed/arrested. Of course, in San Andreas I got so sick of CJ's whiny wannabe personality that after one especially crappy cutscene I just pointed a rocket launcher at the ground and blew him up. [lol]

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

I forgot about GTA. I remember on top of a building with a sniper rifle and seeing how long I could stay alive killing as many people as possible.
Quote:from article...
It's only fun to fail if the game is fair -- and you had every chance of success.

I don't mind losing at games if I had a fair chance and messed it up.

A few days ago on a closed beta RTS I was playing a 2v2 match and my ally left very early into the game. It was up to me to take and hold 5 control points for a victory (points/time runs out for enemy), no way I could defeat 2 other experienced players especially when their late game units are much better than mine (based my tech tree choice on my ally going as something else and couldn't change it).

Now what happened was I held 4 of the 5 control points for about 10 minutes but the enemy wasn't losing any points...

Eventually they overpower me and take another control point, so its 2/5 for them and 3/5 for me but I start losing points for controlling more...

It totally sucked to loose that game, damn Beta bugs.

When considering an unfair advantage: my wife and I play Age of Mythology as a team of 2 vs a PC team of 2 about twice a week. We've gotten good enough that Hard was pretty easy, so we decided to move on to Titan mode.

Halfway through the match, we discovered that Titan mode is hard mode but they give the enemy a 100% handicap (this means they get resources twice as fast as we do, leading to an army that we can't possibly match). It's a cop-out, they didn't write a better AI, they just made it cheat.

If anybody has beaten the AI on Titan mode, I applaud you.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote:Original post by pi_equals_3
Anyone who's played Halo co-op with me knows that I have a strict tradition to stop at a certain spot in one of the first levels and drive the Warthog straight off a cliff that happens to have a really nice view of a waterfall. Also, explosions make it better.
[lol]

Remember the fun with the Master Chief pyramids?

We played multiplayer once with about sixteen people on Blood Gulch. All but one person jumped on top of each other to make a pyramid on one of the bases. The other guy jumped in a ghost and parked on a hill. We shot off ~15 rockets under the ghost and launched it way up into the air. It ended up falling straight down at the pyramid - I think it got shot on the way down, but it might still have landed on a couple of people... Quite fun... [smile]

Quote:If anybody has beaten the AI on Titan mode, I applaud you.
Well, I still don't believe it's possible to beat FarCry on realistic, either. Although, they didn't need better AI in an FPS, so they just got uber good.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
In Smash brothers for the N64, I enjoy during the second bonus round just beating the hell out of the first enemy that gets in your way. They're not meant to take serious hits, so when you put them in an environment that they can't leave the arena, they go flying.

In any spiderman game, I enjoy climbing to the top of the highest building and gloriously falling to my death on the cold sweet pavement.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Dragon's Lair - Time Warp (on a coined arcade machine).

I had fun losing in that game until I beated it.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I always liked making Lara dive down to a concrete floor in Tomb Raider.

Eleventy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement