Multiple types of ammo for different weapons.

Started by
14 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 17 years, 7 months ago
Just changing magazines is perfectly acceptable to me for automatic weapons. The F2000 used in Splinter Cell fires the custom ammo out of a single-shot underslung 40mm grenade launcher, so Sam's loading those rounds individually into the chamber as you use them, while the main rifle barrel is fed from a magazine of 5.56mm ammo.

But remember, if you swap magazines, the first round you fire will be a relic from the previous mag, unless you manually cycle the action to eject it. So if you're using armor piercing ammo, switch to a stun ammo mag and shoot a guy in the head, that first round will still be AP, and you'll kill him.

Manually loading your magazines could be cool. You could set up an EM magazine with an explosive round every third cartridge, so a burst of three will be two shield-neutralizing EM pulses, then a skull-busting explosive shot.
Advertisement
Thanks for the comments, I think I have an idea on how I am going to do it. Certain weapons you reload manually, each shot at a time, which goes in as a queue, and other weapons (automatic weapons) you load in a magazine all at once(I am going to allow you to mix different ammos together for this if you have the skills for it.

I actually do have EM projectiles (and energy weapons with the same kind of effect), but I was mostly planning for them to be effective against cybernetic targets, but them also effecting energy shields (I have them too) is a neat idea.

I also have a psionics system, but I think I have it completely worked out.
The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
But remember, if you swap magazines, the first round you fire will be a relic from the previous mag, unless you manually cycle the action to eject it. So if you're using armor piercing ammo, switch to a stun ammo mag and shoot a guy in the head, that first round will still be AP, and you'll kill him.

That bit should probably be abstracted away as part of the whole reloading/ammo switching command. You don't want things to become too tedious for the player: know whether you want your game to play like a FPS or a "special ops" game. Having some rounds come in magazines and some having to be loaded one by one is about where I would draw the line as far as complexity and realism goes. Having the gun fire the wrong kind of round just because I forgot to hit a key to eject the last one, leading be to kill a NPC rather than stun him would only aggravate me and cause me to reload the last game save.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
fwiw, here's my system

As the player you can fire your weapon, throw grenades and configure your weapon, you can do other stuff but theese are the relevant actions.

The principle is that you can fire your weapon with [fire] and throw grenades with [grenade]. If your weaon is equiped with a grenade launcher or something simmilar it is used instead.
If you hold [configure] a tree like display is showed where you can select ammo type, if you want a grenade launcher, silencer, bayonett, scope(and magnification), changing the stock(closed open) and/or to some extent changing the fire modes. (yes this looks alot like the way farcry2 handles weapon configurations)
The changing of the looks of the weapon isn't just a gimmick. It changes the way the weapon works. The stock, the scope for example inreases the accuracy on some distances and reduce it at others, while the bayonett decreases the accuracy but grants you lethal close-combat attacks.

As for what the hero does when the player changes ammo, the same ideas from reloading is applied on changing ammo. I try to go realistic as far as possible, but not too realistic to stop(or hinder) gameplay.
So... for relaoding you pick up clips and reload with clips. Reloading your weapon makes you throw away thoose bullets you havent fired. Switching clip is a s easy as switching clips. I might throw in a cocking manouver so the player can feel cool :)
Chanmbered bullets doesn't exist in this game, or to be more exact the cambered bullet somehow magically goes with the clip you are using.

hth
Haven't really read all the posts, but one interesting thing I read about in wikipedia are rifle grenades.

Basically, you have a grenade that is fixed to the end of a rifle barrel and when the rifle is fired, the bullet is caught in a bullet-trap on the grenade and the grenade is launched. Its not quite as long-range as a dedicated grenade launcher but its convenient because anyone with a rifle and some of these can use heavy firepower you can't get from a bullet.

Depending on the grenade, it can be detonated either by a fuse or detonate on impact. In a futuristic setting, you could set up all sorts of triggers like have them remote detonated or wait until something gets near them when they drop.

Anyway, the thing with present day rifle grenades is the user can keep using the bullets in his gun as normal but if he suddenly needs to use heavy firepower, he can quickly fix one of these onto his rifle, aim, fire it and then get back to shooting as normal.

You could pretty much have an unlimited number of different rifle grenades:

EMP grenades, gas grenades, fragmentation grenades, homing becons...

have some different properies:

stick to surfaces, explode on impact, explode via remote control, explode at the apex of flight when shot in an arc, sprout legs after falling to the ground and then head for the nearest moving object...

Then when someone want to use one, they just select it from a list or bag or something, stick it to their rifle and fire. It would just be a one-shot deal.

Anyway, thats one idea. the wikipedia article is here
Quote:Original post by Platinum314
Certain weapons you reload manually, each shot at a time, which goes in as a queue, and other weapons (automatic weapons) you load in a magazine all at once(I am going to allow you to mix different ammos together for this if you have the skills for it.

It might take a little skill to swap shotgun shells, as Iron Chef Carnage described, to change magazines, to turn a switch etc. quickly and in the heat of battle, but certainly not to prepare a magazine with an arbitrary sequence of cartridges beforehand. The limiting factor for these tricks should be the availability of specialty ammo and extra magazines.

If you want skills there is the related specialty of building, reloading and modifying cartridges; the character could recycle used cases, load more or less gunpowder according to his needs, make strange things not found on the market like silver or blessed bullets, and less realistically build fancy high-tech ammo on his own.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement