VC++ 2003/2005 Step Into - F11

Started by
1 comment, last by Grain 17 years, 7 months ago
Is there some way to make make VC++( I have both 2003 pro and 2005 express) not step into code that isn't mine. Like code that part of the STL or an API. I only want it to step into code thats actually in my project. For example I have this function, which recursively searches a directory for files with an .act extension.

std::list<std::string> ActorFactory::GetActFileList(std::string pathStr)
{
    std::list<std::string> FileList;
    path Path(pathStr);
    if( exists(Path) )
    {
        directory_iterator endItr;
        for(directory_iterator I(Path); I != endItr; I++)
        {
            if(is_directory(*I)) 
                FileList.merge( GetActFileList(I->string())); 
            else if(IsFileExt(*I, ".act"))
                FileList.push_back(I->string());
        }
    }
    return FileList;
}

On the line that says: FileList.merge( GetActFileList(I->string())); If I press F11 it will step into the STL twice, once for string and again for list, into boost twice for path.string() and to dereference the directory iterator and also in to my function. Of those I am only interested in my function. If I hit F10 it just skips all of it. Oh I know I could just set a break point at the top of GetActFileList. But that's not the point. This is just one example. These kinds of things are all over the place. Any time I interact with the STL or another API like boost.
Advertisement
At least in Visual Studio 2005, you can rightclick on the current line and pick 'Step Into Specific', which will open a menu showing what entities on that line you can step into.

To make it is hell. To fail is divine.

Quote:Original post by Zao
At least in Visual Studio 2005, you can rightclick on the current line and pick 'Step Into Specific', which will open a menu showing what entities on that line you can step into.
Ah, I did not know that. Apparently it works in 2003 as well. Though its still a bit more awkward than just taping F11.

Interestingly enough when I do hit Step Into Specific it only brings up my functions as possible choices, and ignors the STL and boost stuff. Which is exactly what I'd like a F11 to do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement