best buy

Started by
8 comments, last by SimonForsman 17 years, 6 months ago
When is the best time salewise to get a pc? I saw a plenty of good deals for back to school, unforunately I was broke at the time. So when do you guys suggest is the best time to get a new computer?
Advertisement
I've always been told that January and July were the times to go pc shopping, since that's when the price drops occur. I've never paid attention to whether that's true or not.
probably the best time to go is right after Christmas because prices really drop then. And I have also heard that after Thanksgiving is when prices go down on some things, but im not sure though.
those or the 'after thanksgiving sale' They have laptops for around 299USD here in arizona. I saw a fairly decent desktop for only 99USD and that included the monitor.
When I worked at Staples there were 2 times when things went on sale for crazy prices, first before the fiscal year ended, and second in April right as College/University Students got out of school.
If you're willing to put up with insane crowds, "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving) is the best sale day of the year. That's officially the first day of the Xmas shopping season, and retailers will make up several "door buster" deals that are loss-leaders to get folks into the store.

IIRC last year CompUSA and BB had $299 laptops.

If you wanna do it, though, you'll need to keep an eye on what's available. Oftentimes they'll only have 20 or 50 of those machines for that price, so you'll want to get in line in the wee hours of the morning.

Sometimes, though, it's not too bad. Shelly and I did some shopping last Black Friday. I went to Radio Shack and she went to Wal Mart. I got a Sirius radio with home & car kit free after rebates. Shelly got a Cabbage Patch doll for our daughter for $5. In neither case were the crowds a problem. In fact, Wal Mart still had a big mountain of their big door-buster deal (a pretty good size color TV for $88) when we left. We would've gotten one, but we already have a TV.

Anyway, if you wanna follow Black Friday, a good place to look is in the "Hot Deals" forum at fatwallet.com. In early November, the Black Friday thread will appear, and it'll be regularly updated with what deals will be available at which stores.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

thanks guys.
If you want something now and can do mail order, this is end of quarter for Dell Business. Not sure about Dell Home. I'd assume they are on the same fiscal quarter though.
the main thing is just to read the sale adds for 2-3 weeks in a row to get an idea for what a normal / sale price is ... so you don't see an "as advertised" price that is worse than the normal weekly sales. My main experience is with Best Buy / Circuit City who both put out weekly sale adds and the stuff on sale just simply alternates. Each week between 4-10 notebooks and 4-10 desktops will be on sale for real ($180-$350 off IF you count mail in rebates). The actual machines cycle and the standard hp, compaq, emachines, gateway machines will cycle through the sale process in various cycles between 3-6 weeks long - so you simply ait for 1 of the few models you really want to be the one on sale - usually less than a 4 week wait.
imo the best time to buy PC hardware is right after the release of a new generation of hardware.

CPU prices dropped dramatically after intel released the core 2 duo, (AMD especially dropped their prices by close to 50% for their high end stuff).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement