Oluseyi

Started by
22 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 6 months ago
Workshop participation thread for Oluseyi
Advertisement
Post a picture of your work, hand drawn. Then talk a bit about your knowledge of art, and or your ignorance about it, so that people know where others are starting.

You can view some of my work here on GameDev. I've progressed a bit since the last image, but I haven't uploaded anything new in a while.

I have little formal education in the fine arts. I have a degree that is built on what is called Visual Culture, so I can read images as texts. I've taken enough art history and literature classes and studied art and culture on my own enough to understand a lot about the sociocultural significant and impact of art. I also understand the fine arts as a communications medium.

As far as drawing, I taught myself to "draw" when I was eight or nine. I say "draw" because I now believe that I could draw before that, but I acquired a formal knowledge of the principles of "realistic drawing" at that time - perspective, foreshortening, occlusion, light and shadow. I learned by tracing Roy of the Rovers comics. I've been away from drawing for several years - nothing more than the occasional doodle until about three months ago, when I decided I wanted to get serious about drawing and animation again (I did animation as a kid, using Microsoft Show Partner for simple "animatics" type work, and later using utilities I wrote in C for DOS).
Assignment 10/29, Part 1

I punched up the contrast with the levels dialog, since the emphasis here is on line and not rendering.

[Edit: Moving files around on the server so everything for the workshop is in a single folder hierarchy.]

[Edited by - Oluseyi on October 31, 2006 12:44:43 AM]
<unsolicited instruction>
When I studied under my art tutor, he always told me to be more confident in my pencil strokes. A single, solid line, even if it is somewhat off, looks many orders times better than a line that has been rehashed several times. It's something I still struggle with today, until I started developing a style specifically around it (speed sketching).

You have a couple such confident lines, in the cap of the chapstick, in the pencil sharpener. But the background (platter?) is basically a perfect example of the worst that can happen in this regard.

Your proportions seem about right. Only you will know if you have the relative orientation correct. I actually like the pencil sharpener, it's fairly detailed.
</unsolicited instruction>

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

While the tray is slightly sloppy, the items on it are well done. You have the sketching style down well.

Unfortunatly, I dont agree with the capt'n about sketching style. To each his own I guess, but for the time being a bit more classical training would probably be best. The idea is that bold lines come after the shape is defined.

Good job Oluseyi, but I was really looking foreward to the magazine cover.
Quote:Original post by slowpid
Good job Oluseyi, but I was really looking foreward to the magazine cover.

When you originally posted the assignment, you didn't indicate that we were to do one or the other. I'll be uploading the magazine cover tonight. I was too tired to nail an acceptable image last night.
yeah, I know it was all kind of confusing looking back.

I wanted to see everyone do both, I will write up a more professional looking FAQ at work tommorrow, but basically I want everyone to do a 'exercise', which should be quick but teaches a skill, and then a larger scale, more difficult piece that they can work on until the next assignment.

I will get this straightened out before I go on with the class, like I said, tommorrow.

I like the reflection. So is it a general rule of thumb to make the reflection slightly lighter and less detailed, when the drawing is in black and white?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

yes and no. It depends on the angle and amount of light in the room.
Assignment 10/29, Part 2

I'm doing a whole bunch for the "magazine" cover. Here's a rendition of the movie poster for the 1942 film noir, This Gun for Hire, work-in-progress:

And here's the actual poster:

It started out as a simple sketch, then I outlined the shadow areas and did some simple hatching. Then I figured that rendering hair is really a hatching job, so I gave it a shot... Looking at them side by side, I see that my drawing is slightly skewed. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the way it's shaping up. I'll keep working on it.

Meanwhile, I have a few more covers to get to.

[Edit: Moving files around on the server so everything for the workshop is in a single folder hierarchy.]

[Edited by - Oluseyi on October 31, 2006 12:45:57 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement