Buffer overrun or what?

Started by
1 comment, last by GCoda 17 years, 1 month ago
Hello. I am quite puzzled sometimes when using a large game engine which I have modded my self and after writing a new function it starts to behave oddly. And I cannot figure out the problem debugging through the new function calls as it appears to function correctly. So that leaves quite glueless why some of the strings in the game/engine become corrupted. Usually this could mean buffer over-run in somewhere. But how do you find out in situation like this where the first mistake occurs in the code not knowing anything about the type of the bug? Thanks any debugging tips are welcome. :) I'm using visual studio express 2005.
Jesus loves you!
Advertisement
More likely a dangling pointer. Look at the "corruption" and see what it is in bytes. Is it a float? Zero? The nature of the corruption can give you a clue.
Quote:Original post by Cowboy Coder
More likely a dangling pointer. Look at the "corruption" and see what it is in bytes. Is it a float? Zero? The nature of the corruption can give you a clue.

Dangling pointer huh, interesting, haven't heard that one before. Well the corruption appears in the output of the console's text so I can't think of where to start looking.
Jesus loves you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement