Do you believe in god?

Started by
2,115 comments, last by Zmurf 16 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by nilkn
Many different topics have been discussed in these 85 pages, some of them barely related to question of whether God exists (for example, the evolution of color vision). Also, many questions and topics keep getting repeated, mainly because they don't get an adequate response the first time. Frankly, this thread is just one massive amalgam of tangentially related topics all sown together by the tenuous thread of whether God exists.

Oh... in that case...

What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?

And don't link to the Google calc. =D
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by agi_shi
Many different topics have been discussed in these 85 pages, some of them barely related to question of whether God exists (for example, the evolution of color vision). Also, many questions and topics keep getting repeated, mainly because they don't get an adequate response the first time. Frankly, this thread is just one massive amalgam of tangentially related topics all sown together by the tenuous thread of whether God exists.

Oh... in that case...

And don't link to the Google calc.

Define answer, life, the universe, and everything. :D

Oh... in that case...

DUH
Quote:Original post by cwhite

Oh... in that case...

DUH

Please show your working.
#include <iostream>#include <climits>//this is what we want to compute. leave blank for now...#define answer//define directions:#define to <-#define from ->//life means things are not dead#define life ~0xdead//there is just one universe#define universe 1//everything to the max, short or long doesn't matter#define everything SHRT_MAX | LONG_MAXint main() {    std::cout<<(//NOT 42! actually think about it first please...        ~42//here comes the big question:	        answer to life, universe & everything?//some bits for the computer to use for the calculation:        +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1        +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1        +1+1+1+1:0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0        +0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0        +0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0    );}
___________________________Buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp!
I'm only resurrecting this thread because I found this awesome 30 minute video by Richard Dawkins: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/113

Here is the summary the website gives for the video:
---
The session was titled "The Design of Life," and the TED audience was probably expecting remarks about evolution's role in our history from biologist Richard Dawkins. Instead, he launched into a full-on appeal for atheists to make public their beliefs and to aggressively fight the incursion of religion into politics and education. Scientists and intellectuals hold very different beliefs about God from the American public, he says, yet they are cowed by the overall political environment. Dawkins' scornful tone drew strongly mixed reactions from the audience; some stood and applauded his courage. Others wondered whether his strident approach could do more harm than good. Dawkins went on to publish The God Delusion and become perhaps the world's best-known atheist.
---

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I think it's something theists and atheists should both watch, if only to be familiar with theistic arguments.
Quote:But I guess the rather disrespectful picture posted above already gave you a clue.

My God has a sense of humor.

Quote:Argument Eta against Prop. Zeta: The scientific method is not capable of determining truth because observational methods are flawed.

Should be determining fact not truth. Philosophy deals with truth, science deals with fact.

Why are people arguing on this issue? God gave us all free will so we can believe what we'd like.
If it's possible for us to conceive it, than it must be possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement