What Programming Language to Start With

Started by
4 comments, last by mntlinstituteflr 16 years, 11 months ago
I've been working for a while in a game development system called "Game Maker", which involves some level of actual code, but involves a lot which is built in. However, since I want to continue and improve at creating games (even if just as a hobby), I've been thinking of getting into something more "professional" (though I'm not sure if that'd be the best word for it). I don't have much experience at all in most programming languages. I've used Visual Basic for about two years, and am probably going to take a class on Java next year, so while I'm nowhere near professional, I'm not completely new to the concept of programming. So, what would be a good next step in game development from a program like Game Maker? The thing to keep in mind is that so far, this is just a hobby, so I'm doing it solo, meaning that I'm willing to invest time into learning something new, but if it's something that would realistically require a team to get any satisfactory results, it probably wouldn't be for me, or at least not yet. Thanks.
Advertisement
Visual Basic is a good option if you are familiar with it allready, Java would also work very well.

I strongy recomend avoiding VB6 and going for VB.Net if you want to use some version of VB though.

Python and C# are other often recomended languages but as you know some VB allready and are going to learn Java you really don't need to pick up any additional languages just yet.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Python comes highly recommended, it has a very nice library for working on games called PyGame. They are definitely worth a look.
Thanks. Honestly, I've been using Visual Basic mostly for applications and such, but I didn't really think to use it for game programming. I'll take a look at Python, too.
If your looking for doing it for a hobby I think C# might be good for you, check out the XNA framework(DirectX).
C++ might be rather difficult, however, I say its worth a shot atleast. Go for VB.NET is my best suggestion though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement