How to develop a game

Started by
17 comments, last by hughiecoles 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
ok, so the next question would be, is there a "better" alternative? i mean java is kind of restrictive, so what would the best alternative to C++ be?

Where are you getting the idea that Java is restrictive?
Advertisement
ok, so the next question would be, is there a "better" alternative? i mean java is kind of restrictive, so what would the best alternative to C++ be?

I avoid the word "best" like the plague. There is no generalized "best", only a series of possible tradeoffs (the whole X Y or Z, pick 2 question). My usual recommendations are either C# or Python. It doesn't matter which, pick one and stick with it.

C# has:
- XNA, for a relatively quick start with game development
- Been proven to be quite viable for games: Arena Wars was coded entirely in it.
- Can interface with C or C++ code if you really need to

Python has:
- Pygame, for a relatively quick start with game development
- Been proven to be quite viable in games: Both EVE Online and Civilization 4 use it extensively.
- Can interface with C or c++ code if you really need to (see Boost.Python)
Quote:Original post by Ezzaral

Isn't Java required to be run in a java console? isn't it mostly used for online games and stuff of that sort?
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried

Isn't Java required to be run in a java console? isn't it mostly used for online games and stuff of that sort?

Java can do what C# can do. So if Java is restrictive then so is C#. So to answer your question, you can make games just fine with Java and it's not restrictive. It's just Java.

If you just want to make games, then my suggestion to you is Game Maker or Python + PyGame. You can [google] for both.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

If I were to start creating a new game, I'd probably go with one of these :)

Python : PyGame
C# : XNA
Java : jMonkeyEngine
I think the reason I use C++ more than anything else is because there are WAY, WAY more resources on game programming using C++, especially when talking about advanced topics, than any other language. If I could find all the information that I know about C++ game programming in other languages, not to mention libraries for each of them, I'd have swapped to those languages ages ago. I'm a big fan of Java but I just can't imagine swapping away from C++ at this point or anytime in the near future. There's just a prevalence of C++ code in this industry.

I definitely think it's worth knowing C++ well if you are considering a job in game programming but knowing more languages, such as C#, Java and Python never hurt anybody.

A good language doesn't necessarily make a good program, a good programmer makes a good program. Imho a good programmer should be able to cope with whatever language they require to do their job.

P.S. You don't have to make a Tetris clone first if you don't want to. It's a bit over-used and unoriginal. If you're going to bother making a game, make something which is your own IP but keep it simple; it's more fun that way.

I believe you are thinking of Java Applets as opposed to pure Java. Applets do have restrictions for security. Pure Java has no such restrictions.
oh ok thats exactly what i was thinking of, sorry
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement