The Unique Weapons Brainstorm for Action Games

Started by
34 comments, last by RivieraKid 16 years, 10 months ago
Please treat this thread as a totally random braindump of your top 5 or so weapons/items/gadgets/features, for use in the multiplayer action genre. Anything that is unique, rarely seen, has comic value or is just something you feel no game should be without. Don't worry about criticism, in fact the stranger your idea the better. However, let's refrain from posting about ultimate "weapons of mass destruction", try and keep balance in mind with respect to the normal types of weapons seen in the genre - I think we can all agree that a cannon which liquefies your enemies and kills their unborn children would be cool, but just a little bit unbalanced. So without further adieu and in no particular order, is a list of some weapons I would love to see in an FPS, but perhaps not all together in the same game allright :D 1.) Bouncing Betties - This WW2 era landmine explodes when stepped on, but popular culture says leaving your foot on the detonator (if you're lucky enough to hear it click) will save you until someone can disarm it, so long as you don't move an inch. It would be damn funny to set one of these up, watch someone stand on it, hear the click, followed by the pathetic call for help. Not really a new gameplay mechanic, but enormous comic value. 2.) Holographic Decoys - Featured most prominently in Duke Nukem 3D and rarely seen since, with modern graphics this could be a great feature once again. In Duke Nukem, even though they remained stationary and just randomly span around, they still managed to fool many a player and provide excellent tactical opportunities. 3.) Boomerangs - A weapon of aboriginal origin, this flies in a large curve and returns to the player but can easily be lost. Since this would be such a difficult weapon to use effectively, we should imbue it with the power of instant decapitation. 4.) Remote Controlled Exploding Cars - First seen in "Shadow Warrior" and also the early GTA games, this would allow the player two benefits; reconnaissance and an amusing way to take out enemies while remaining hidden. Imagine the type of game where the scariest thing is the engine whine of a children's toy. 5.) Quicksand - An area effect weapon, use this on a nearby piece of land to turn it into mush, any enemy unlucky enough to be caught would slowly sink up to their necks, allowing you to dispose of them as you please. Wait a min... this is probably an "ultimate weapon" and would be very difficult to balance, damn.
Advertisement
1)High Speed Ghosting Effect
2)Well-endowed female warrior - all body parts move fluidly
3)Exploding Shurikens
4)exoskeleton armor
5)2 floating orbs that create shields, electric fields, or shoot lasers.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Laser Tripmines(Duke Nukem) - Mines you could place on walls. If anyone broke the laser, it went *beebeebeep* and gave you just enough time to say '$%^&' before it blew you to kingdom come. The timing is really key there, far better than HL's.

Gas Grenade(Team Fortress) - A grenade that made random slashes of trippy color or a warping effect (in later versions) on your screen [in addition to doing damage]

Medaxe(Team Fortress) - A Bloody rusty axe, which you could beat your teammates with to heal them or enemies with to give them a communicable disease (*ow* *ow* *ow*....)

Cannon(Serious Sam) - A large cannon which shot a relatively slow rolling boulder which squashed enemies in your path.

SNARKS(Halflife) - Happy bounding death, fun for kids of all ages!
Kunais: used as a dagger, a throwable weapon or as a harpoon if a rope is attached to it, may also be useful as a tool for climbing.

Edit: Can't really think of any more, I will update if I think of more [smile].
Predator Camouflage
MGS4 Camouflage
Forearm mounted blades (think Guyver)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

IMHO Shadow Warrior (built on Duke3D build engine) had the most awesome weapons combination of all time (but maybe I'm just eccentric): (all one liners below are to be spoken in a grossly overdone and stereotypical asian accent)

1) Sword - I'm not a gore-fiend, but chopping the bad-guys in half is awesome. Especially when combined with one-liners like "Look, you're coming apart!" and "There can be only one!".
2) Surikens - okay, not quite as awesome, but a must-have for a ninja game. Throwing three at a time in a spread pattern is minorly awesome.
3) Riot Gun - quad-barreled shotgun? Yes please.
4) Dual-wielding uzis - "Be proud Mr. Wu"
5) Rocket launcher + heat seekers + Nuke(!) - the obligatory rocket-launcher + some fun addons (especially for multiplayer).
6) Grenade launcher - bouncing the shells around corners and through windows = awesome.
7) Sticky bombs - a timeless classic. Throw them and they stick to any surface. Armed after a second. They blow up when they detect movement nearby. They also beep intermittently (so you can tell when someone's put them in an area, if you're careful). Of course, the one liners when you stick them to an enemy are priceless "Sticky bomb, meet missa stupid!". Putting them in cupboards or around door-frames can create some stressfull situations in multi.

The non-shareware weapons were more gimicky and less awesome IMHO. The rail-gun (while powerful) was not too exciting. The monster-head wasn't too awesome either (although setting people on fire and watching them run around was amusing). The ripper heart was usefull against bosses (it spawned a clone of you that fired a rail-gun), but not that exciting.

Also worth noting were the inventory weapons. Especially the gas-grenade and flash-bomb (which had no effect in single-player). Caltrops were kinda cool, but taking the time to lay them down slowed the action somewhat.

*I miss Shadow Warrior* [sad]
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Kunais: used as a dagger, a throwable weapon or as a harpoon if a rope is attached to it, may also be useful as a tool for climbing.

Edit: Can't really think of any more, I will update if I think of more [smile].

Don't forget digging ninja hideouts with them (they resembled more gardening shovels than flashy throwing knifes).

I don't really do much FPS'es, but portal- and gravity-style weapons are often very interesting. Swiss army knife could be OMFWTFBBQ. Exoskeletons (as mentioned earlier) or powered armour (And the heavier armament you could wield: dual-wielding cannons, anyone?) would be nice too. :>
And more or less freely combinable weapons would kick ass. (a revolver with a grenade launcher..)
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Laser Tripmines(Duke Nukem) - Mines you could place on walls. If anyone broke the laser, it went *beebeebeep* and gave you just enough time to say '$%^&' before it blew you to kingdom come. The timing is really key there, far better than HL's.

hahaha, that made me laugh, you've got the spirit Telastyn.

Quote:Original post by LachlanL
IMHO Shadow Warrior (built on Duke3D build engine) had the most awesome weapons combination of all time

Quoted for truth, that game was a masterpiece, in fact nearly all those old Build games were, but my personal favourite would have to be Blood though - I mean, you just can't beat akimbo Tommy guns for style, but that Riot Gun comes pretty damn close.
Quote:3.) Boomerangs - A weapon of aboriginal origin, this flies in a large curve and returns to the player but can easily be lost. Since this would be such a difficult weapon to use effectively, we should imbue it with the power of instant decapitation.

Your typical boomerang is difficult to use as a contact weapon because that wasn't what it was designed for; it was made to be thrown over flocks of bird to scare them towards the hunter. What you need is a kylie; a heavier throwing stick that flies straight and doesn't return because it's sticking in your target's ribcage.

The exotic weapon I'd like to see more of is that hybrid sword/chain weapon used by Ivy in Soul Calibur and by the bad guy in the film Brotherhood of the Wolf. I'm not sure what the technical name is for that weapon as it's fairly ridiculous but it looks extremely fun to use.

In fact, extensive use of chains, whips, flails, harpoons or anything with a rope or chain attached would be great; Castlevania and Indiana Jones are both pretty cool. [smile]
Quote:Original post by asdzxc
Quote:Original post by Telastyn

hahaha, that made me laugh, you've got the spirit Telastyn.

Quote:Original post by LachlanL
IMHO Shadow Warrior (built on Duke3D build engine) had the most awesome weapons combination of all time

Quoted for truth, that game was a masterpiece, in fact nearly all those old Build games were, but my personal favourite would have to be Blood though - I mean, you just can't beat akimbo Tommy guns for style, but that Riot Gun comes pretty damn close.

Yeah, you can't beat 'em for pure unadulterated fun. Just the amount of interactivity allowed by the build engine was awesome (there's that word again). I also enjoyed the flare-gun and dynamite sticks in Blood (the first time I set a zombie on fire was a hilarious moment).

Possibly another thread could be "top 5 enemy concepts". The build games had some good ones there too. Whoops, sorry for OT. Too much foaming at the mouth from me. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement