Super Mario source code

Started by
47 comments, last by CrazyCdn 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Mike2343
I'm pretty sure posting that link is against the forums rules. The site hosts illegal ROMs and stolen property.

Did games have EULA back then?

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Mario Paint at least demonstrated that it had full 'buffer' access?

If I remember correctly, Mode 7 could be accessed as an 8 bit buffer, but the resolution was lower than normal.

Quote:Original post by doppel
Having said all of this, I appreciate your criticism, it helps.

I wouldn't get too caught up in any criticism, this is a thorough and nearly complete disassembly.

Figuring out a game from a dissaembly is very difficult and time consuming. I've figured out the operation of hardware using a disassembly, but never a full game. I don't think it's possible to appreciate the effort this takes, until someone tries it. And, with a disassembly, you're limited to the style of programming used in the game.

Great job! I'm definitely interested in reading through the code to see how it was done.

Does this match, byte for byte, with the original?

[Edited by - cdoty on August 17, 2007 4:12:52 PM]

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

Quote:Original post by cdoty

Quote:Original post by doppel
Having said all of this, I appreciate your criticism, it helps.

I wouldn't get too caught up in any criticism, this is a thorough and nearly complete disassembly.

Figuring out a game from a dissaembly is very difficult and time consuming. I've figured out the operation of hardware using a disassembly, but never a full game. I don't think it's possible to appreciate the effort this takes, until someone tries it. And, with a disassembly, you're limited to the style of programming used in the game.

Great job! I'm definitely interested in reading through the code to see how it was done.

Does this match, byte for byte, with the original?

Yeah, I would say it took me about 4-5 months of work to go from a quick-n-dirty disassembly spit out by a disassembler program to the finished product you see. The task got particularly difficult when the code introduced tricks like jump tables and BIT instruction opcodes that are meant to skip over code that would otherwise be executed.

Yes, the code matches up with the original program rom down to the last byte. The only thing, really, that's missing that people might be curious about is the title screen data which is loaded in from the character rom. But since I was curious about how the title screen was rendered I wrote another file on SMB, this one pertaining to the title screen data.

Here's a link to all my work relevant to SMB:
http://www.geocities.com/deethefigurine/
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
Wow.

Did programmers feel ridiculously limited back then? Or was working around these limitations "all in a day's work"?
In 15 years, they may wonder that about US? "Wow! They only had 512MB of video ram?!?"
Quote:Original post by smitty1276
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
Wow.

Did programmers feel ridiculously limited back then? Or was working around these limitations "all in a day's work"?
In 15 years, they may wonder that about US? "Wow! They only had 512MB of video ram?!?"

Or: Didn't they feel ridiculously limited using silicon chips? I mean, those things can't do anything.
Quote:Original post by Goober King
Quote:Original post by GilliganCoder
I know that Nintendo never released the code officially but it's probably past the copyright restrictions now after 20+ years... The RAM & ROM maps are already on the net so I figured maybe the source would be available somewhere.

Hate to break it to you but its something like 75years After the Death of the creator that a copyright expires. So Mario has a long way to go, and if Micky mouse has anything to say about it, it will take even longer.

i believe its 100 years, or 75 after the death of the original copyright holder, but don't quote me on that

[edit] sorry, my bad. 70 years after death of the last author, if it was created in, or after 1978, before that year it ets kinda messy

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
i believe its 100 years, or 75 after the death of the original copyright holder, but don't quote me on that

[edit] sorry, my bad. 70 years after death of the last author, if it was created in, or after 1978, before that year it ets kinda messy

It is country specific and it is a very difficult area of international (and national) law.

Wikipedia has a list of copyright lengths per country with the longest showing as 99 years after the death of the author.
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Mario Paint at least demonstrated that it had full 'buffer' access?

If I remember correctly, Mode 7 could be accessed as an 8 bit buffer, but the resolution was lower than normal.

Mode 7 runs at the system's normal resolution (256x240), but it only allows for 256 unique 8x8 tiles, which is only enough to cover 1/4 of the screen. Granted you can use the scaling registers to blow that 128x128 region to full-screen, but why bother?

Mario Paint works because the normal video modes (i.e. modes 0-6) support 10-bit background tile indices, which is enough to provide a unique index for every single tile on screen(256x240 uses 960 tilers), and because the SNES has enough VRAM to contain those tiles (with an 8 bpp background, 60 kb) and still have room left over for the actual tile map (2kb) and 64 sprite tiles (the last 2 kb). Of course, Mario Paint doesn't use the entire screen as the drawing surface, which frees up VRAM for other purposes.
Quote:Original post by Mike2343
I'm pretty sure posting that link is against the forums rules. The site hosts illegal ROMs and stolen property.

Did games have EULA back then?

You've heard of copyrights, trademarks and all those other neat legal terms that cover this, right? Nintendo has not allowed people to trade or give away these files and they are OWNED by them. It's like posting a CD you just bought online, it's illegal. Same deal.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement