Played out concepts, playa.

Started by
75 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by sanch3x
For example: we know that Link is looking for a specific artifact in the current dungeon but the boss HAVE to be the one holding it? Instead of having the boss locked in a room why not have him try to interrupt Link when he gets to the artifact instead? Essentially it would be the same thing but instead of it being "kill mister X to get artifact Y" it would be "get artifact X and be interrupted by mister X". I just think it feels a bit more natural.

You obviously haven't played Twilight Princess then; fully 25% of the "artifact dungeon bosses" are of the "interrupted by mister X while getting artifact Y" variety. And don't forget about Link to the Past, where, in one dungeon, part of the puzzle is figuring out how to make the boss appear (he's not in the "boss room" initially; he's hiding elsewhere in the dungeon in disguise, and you need to bring him there after performing another task in yet another room).

Not that it really matters because the various artifacts are just MacGuffins anyway; the REAL treasure is the usable item you get in the course of exploring the dungeon. There is decent variety in obtaining those items as well; some are obtained by defeating an enemy who uses the item against you, some are obtained by defeating an enemy who is guarding the treasure chest containing the item, and some are just lying around in unguarded chests. And that's not taking into account the items that are obtained outside dungeons.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by KidAero
Yeah it's not so much as the repeated process Zelda has been pushing since the first NES game. It's just...too predictable. Even side quests follow this format of finding X to kill Y to get Z. Wind Waker is one big gather X to kill Y (getting maps, and then triforce pieces to fight Ganon)
I'm not saying drop the format, but I think some aspects of the game could benefit from an extreme upgrade.

Yeah, that I'll agree with. Once you've played through a Zelda game, there is really no reason to play again unless you really want to find those last 3 or 4 heart pieces or something. Of course, on the other end of the spectrum you have games like Morrowind which, to me, was far too open-ended. I played that game for several hours, decided I really had no clue what I was supposed to be doing, and dropped it. I bypassed Oblivion or whatever it's name was, solely on my experience with Morrowind. While a fully linear storyline can be tedious, one in which there are almost no signposts whatsoever to tell me where to go really drives me up the wall. I really need to be patted on the back and told, "Congratulations, you advanced a little ways!" or I get bored and wander off to another game. I'm sure there were all sorts of fun and awesome things in Morrowind, they just got lost in all the aimless wandering around, ducking into caves, getting my ass handed to me, and wandering around some more. [grin]

I've said it before, but what I really want is a randomly-generated game with the gameplay and feel of a Zelda game. ^_^
Yer pretty sure if i see one more DUM orc or noble human or magical elf i'm ganna blow my own brains out, please, PLEASE, just make your own damn races, you only have to choose an animal to base it one, choose disternable features and a colour, then if you really want to make it any good, make a history and culture for them and show it in game...I'm tired of the sterotypes, I'm tired of the monsters that all look the same...I'm tired of it!

my little rant over...
I must have missed all those great Cthulu games...

Anways.

Some oversued things I am personally tired of are the standard classes in MMORPG's.

Wizard, Mage, Rogue, Warrior. I wish there were more MMO's that deviated or included strange classes. I think EQ1 did a good job of this as well as FFXII.

Note: By good job I mean attempted.
Quote:Original post by JTippetts
I've said it before, but what I really want is a randomly-generated game with the gameplay and feel of a Zelda game. ^_^
The Dark Cloud series, mayhaps? I didn't play the second, but the first one felt like it was trying to be just that. (It just happened to be boring for various reasons.)

I have a gripe against any game that likes to make me play through the story after I've already beaten it. For that reason, I love it when the game has an option to turn off cutscenes. If I can set the dialogues to speed up all text, I'll do so. But what I'd really like to see is a stripped-down, gameplay only mode, and I don't mean a demo/training mode sort of thing.

I mean, that given a game like Metal Gear Solid that has lots of dialogue and cutscenes, I'd like to have an option to have the story progress like the original Legend of Zelda (ie: there almost is no story). Only the very necessary dialogues are shown that tell you what you need to know if you're lost. The characters don't sit and chat. You can play right through to the part you really want to get to (like the restroom outside Psycho Mantis' office, where the guards routinely enter). You may still see the necessary events played out in minimal fashion: The Ninja may suddenly pop up, slice off Ocelot's arm, and they'll both run off. Then off you go, as well. You can play through the entire game and very little is said by the characters.

But then, that's how I kinda always looked at quick action games. There's a story, we just never see it because it isn't worth telling.
A crossbow that's more powerful than a grenade launcher
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Quote:Original post by JTippetts

That's the game that I'm hoping to make myself someday...

I'm also of the opinion that being more realistic doesn't necessarily mean better. Zelda's dungeons are an obvious example; no, they don't make logical sense, but they obviously don't mean to; they're just a puzzle-based obstacle course for the player to solve. I'm in favour on the Zelda dungeon gameplay pattern to remain the same, if a Zelda game didn't involve traipsing through dungeons, finding a new tool halfway through to unlock puzzles and then fighting a boss at the end, then it just wouldn't be Zelda.

As for the original topic, I'm not that fussed with most of the overplayed concepts in games. I don't mind seeing Tolkien style elves and orcs (although a bit more variety would be welcome).

The only exception is the already mentioned World War II combat genre (FPS or strategy). For some reason I just can't stand that setting, because it's been done so many times it's just plain boring now. But then again I've never been a big fan of modern combat sims or FPSes. A FPS set in the 19th century or World War I would be a lot more welcome to me than WWII or Vietnam.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement