EA takes the cake and eats it too

Started by
131 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Jesper T
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi

Your reductive comment actually undermines other positions I'm sure you espouse. For instance, if all games are is sequences of zeroes and ones and the idea of pirating them is laughable, then games are neither art nor intellectual property. They are, in effect, worthless.

It is important when discussing issues of this magnitude not to overreact.

Well, I'd be willing to consider it work of art. But not intellectual property. I dont think anyone can "own" information. This is my opinion though. But can you clearly define when you think a sequence of ones and zeros can be owned, and when it can not? Interestingly, some cultures doesnt even recognize ownership of concrete objects.

Its not the 1s and 0s they are protecting, its what they do with them, similar to a painter using paint to make a portrait.

You aren't copyrighting paint, you are copyrighting your finished work.

Brett Biery2D/3D Artist and Graphic DesignNewbie Programmer
Advertisement
I believe that the real world analogy that people so often use is inherently flawed. This is not about concrete objects. Essentially, it is about information.
I believe that the real world analogy that people so often use is inherently flawed. This is not about concrete objects. Essentially, it is about information.

You could say the same for paintings. Nothing special there, just a specific order of drops of paint. Or a piece of music. It's just a set of frequencies played in a specific order. There's no difference in my mind. Physical and digital creations alike should be able to be protected. (Some) Game makers create art with their games. Some artists draw using only digital canvases. Everyone is entitled to protect their work. It's simply the extreme to which EA is going that bothers me.
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
It's simply the extreme to which EA is going that bothers me.

Indeed. Protection is one thing, but techniques that are actively hostile to legitimate users is quite another.

Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn

You could say the same for paintings. Nothing special there, just a specific order of drops of paint. Or a piece of music. It's just a set of frequencies played in a specific order. There's no difference in my mind. Physical and digital creations alike should be able to be protected. (Some) Game makers create art with their games. Some artists draw using only digital canvases. Everyone is entitled to protect their work. It's simply the extreme to which EA is going that bothers me.

Correct, just a specific order of drops of paint which reflects photons of different frequencies, some of which happens to enter your eye and make some eletrons there shake a little bit. Or a certain variation in air pressure over time. The erronous analogy is equating the information of how to put those drops onto the canvas with the actual painting.

Dont misunderstand me. A piece of music can very well be special, beautiful, and have required a lot of work to compose and to play. But it is still just information, and in my opinion it is meaningless to talk about ownership of information.

And to say "protection of information" in this context is misleading because the implied meaning is that the "owner" of this information will somehow lose his information if someone "takes" it. Which is clearly not true, just another part of the flawed analogy.

[Edited by - Jesper T on May 9, 2008 1:37:55 PM]
And to say "protection of information" in this context is misleading because the implied meaning is that the "owner" of this information will somehow lose his information if someone "takes" it. Which is clearly not true, just another part of the flawed analogy.

Surely you can see how the information could lose value if someone took it.
I would not say so, if by "take" you mean "copy". The value you speak of is a construct. If the information has any real value it is only increased if it is copied (take the song for example, if it is copied then many people are able to enjoy it - its value is greater).

Edit: I guess it depends on how you define value.
I would not say so, if by "take" you mean "copy". The value you speak of is a construct. If the information has any real value it is only increased if it is copied (take the song for example, if it is copied then many people are able to enjoy it - its value is greater).

Then in your world, the value of a hundred dollar bill is the cost of the paper it's printed on?

It really comes down to taking information though, not just copying information. If your pipes burst, you call a plumber. They fix it. If you don't pay the plumber, then would you admit that's wrong? What about building a house?

These are all physical things, copying digital information is different?
Well, not really. My job is all intellectual. I'm not paid to build houses, I'm not paid to fix pipes. I'm paid to think and express ideas. About the only physical work I do is the typing, and that's meaningless if my end result is only a displayable idea. Just like with music, you're not listening to a physical medium, you're listening to an expression of an idea. The same with paintings, etc. It's value is not greater if you copy it. It's value has been depreciated.

I can't physically build a house, so I pay someone else too. Just as someone who can't mentally create an idea should compensate those who can. That's where my trade is.

I'm sorry, but information is not free, and ownership of information is not meaningless. If a person wants it to be free, that's the person's right. Whether it's should be free or not is another topic, but that doesn't justify stealing someone else's work.
Quote:Original post by tstrimp

Then in your world, the value of a hundred dollar bill is the cost of the paper it's printed on?

Exactly. Money has no value in it self. It is a symbol of value.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement