EA takes the cake and eats it too

Started by
131 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years, 11 months ago
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned
BioWare Backs Down From Draconian Mass Effect Authentication
I'd call this a victory for the consumer.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Whackjack

Ok, if they provide a way to manage authentications online (like AlcholSoft does for Alcohol 120%), I'll consider getting it.
The thing that annoys me about this(I dont think anyone has mentioned) the games have a shelf life now. Perhaps in 5 years(possibly sooner),at whatever time EA deem it so you will not be able to play the games anymore. The data, the cds you bought will just be useless junk.

Edit: or maybe not.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz

Ok, if they provide a way to manage authentications online (like AlcholSoft does for Alcohol 120%), I'll consider getting it.

I agree. It's a good first step that they've reconsidered the constant calling home. I don't agree with that method , but ultimately I probably could have lived with it. In the end I think if they'd just call home once on initial activation, and during patches or while grabbing online content then that should be the end of it.

What I do have a big problem with is the 3 activations bullshit. This was nonsense for Bioshock (which I still won't touch with a 10 foot pole), and it's not any better now. This is where this system fails in comparison to Steam. This announcement only makes me think they've only pulled their collective heads 1/2 way out of their asses.

In the end, if they'd announced they were dropping the 3 time activation crap or provided an easy to use system to manage these activations and said they were calling home every 20 seconds I think I would have been more inclined to buy it. But as it is, it's still not worth my time.

Nice try Bioware, better luck next time.
Quote:In the end, if they'd announced they were dropping the 3 time activation crap or provided an easy to use system to manage these activations and said they were calling home every 20 seconds I think I would have been more inclined to buy it. But as it is, it's still not worth my time.

Last I heard, the 3-time activation meant 3 "concurrent" activations. So you could have it installed on up to 3 computers simultaneously. Hopefully, they allow a way to "deactivate" some installs (probably through the uninstall process?)

The constant checking was the bit that annoyed me, so I'm glad they've been listening to the hubbub on the internet. If the three activation thing means three concurrent installations, and there's a way to free up on of those by installing, then it's not bad enough for me to get fussed over. The ability to play without the DVD-ROM in the drive is enough to make up for it.
Quote:In the end, if they'd announced they were dropping the 3 time activation crap or provided an easy to use system to manage these activations and said they were calling home every 20 seconds I think I would have been more inclined to buy it. But as it is, it's still not worth my time.

Last I heard, the 3-time activation meant 3 "concurrent" activations. So you could have it installed on up to 3 computers simultaneously. Hopefully, they allow a way to "deactivate" some installs (probably through the uninstall process?)

Yeah you're right, it is concurrent. This changes nothing though. If I have to call up EA to deactivate this thing when I need to reset those 3 activations then I want no part of that. If it were like iTunes and I could reset these activations myself, then no big deal. Until then the thought of having to call them up and begging them to allow me to play my game is repulsive. I may never use the 3 activations, but I might, who knows. I do flatten my machine with a format every once in a while. Will this use up another activation? Most likely it will. This is where I have a problem with this kind of crap.
Quote:Original post by Tape_Worm
Yeah you're right, it is concurrent. This changes nothing though. If I have to call up EA to deactivate this thing when I need to reset those 3 activations then I want no part of that. If it were like iTunes and I could reset these activations myself, then no big deal. Until then the thought of having to call them up and begging them to allow me to play my game is repulsive. I may never use the 3 activations, but I might, who knows. I do flatten my machine with a format every once in a while. Will this use up another activation? Most likely it will. This is where I have a problem with this kind of crap.

If it's like the system used with Adobe CS3, then you should have the ability to de-register to get one of your activations back. Adobe CS3 also ties each registration with a specific machine, so if something happens to your hard disk (in my case the guys in the repair store replaced it) then you won't use up a registration there as well.

I don't know whether EA will be emulating Adobe like this, but they'd be silly not to; it would save heaps of customer calls in the long run. But they still need the customer service line for the cases where this falls down, such as the complete loss of a computer.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
If it's like the system used with Adobe CS3, then you should have the ability to de-register to get one of your activations back. Adobe CS3 also ties each registration with a specific machine, so if something happens to your hard disk (in my case the guys in the repair store replaced it) then you won't use up a registration there as well.

I don't know whether EA will be emulating Adobe like this, but they'd be silly not to; it would save heaps of customer calls in the long run. But they still need the customer service line for the cases where this falls down, such as the complete loss of a computer.

I don't really want an activation model, but I don't think I or anyone else will change their minds on this. So let's hope they make it easy to manage.

It is EA, so I'm not holding my breath.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement