An untapped Genre, and an idea of a possible game.

Started by
104 comments, last by Zooch 15 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Lopherus
Hey Viper how are u making the police station, i mean what program u use, what methods. I am trying to do some thing in Blender its a 3D free program.

Yeah, I'd also like to know what format your making stuff in, that way I may be able to help.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by LOOY
Wait Wait Wait! Why's everyone talking about me being one of the main workers on this thing! I can't program, and I never said I could, I said I was learning. It takes quite a while to get to the level where i'd be able to help with a project of this complexity. I'll just post ideas and possibly help later, depending on how long it takes me to get to a decent level.

lol well if your not a very good programmer, i recommend we at least have two programmers, it will get about twice as much done.
You should probably start planning on your targets first.
OpenGL + GLUT?
Time to get the Subversion server going ;)
I do my modelling in 3Ds Max 9, then use a plugin to export them to .x files. I intend to use a 64 unit citygrid. The city will be built up out of blocks of 64x64 units (1 unit = 1 meter). This includes street and pavement, so buildings are about max 50x50 units. Bigger buildings can be spread over multiple blocks.

This system will enable me to organize the city into models, and make a good LOD system. There will be a max number of polygons per block, but I dont know what the limit will be yet.

So if you guys want to model some buildings, start with some smaller ones, no larger then 50x50 meters or 150x150 feet irl. And please stick to reallife proportions. Correct size doors and windows for example! (Measure up your front door if you have to)
For now i have only done things to put inside buildings.
Like table, chair, radio. I am not puting much detail into it, so it doesnt get too slow.

Can u give me a place to upload the .x files i will export?
is the 3d max 9 system very good as far as uploading textures and what not, im already very good with the blender system, but i just dont like it all that much, its hard to measure things etc. so please tell me what you think of 3d max and i might start working with that.
How about the story of how the zombie arrived there? And how they respawn?
Perhaps this story could be in the now-near future time period to allow more imagination on the guns.

An idea: Due to the rate of population growth on earth, cemeteries have been outlawed in cities and the bodies were buried on a asteroid that has become trapped in the earth's magnetic field, simulating another moon. Due to unknown circumstances, the asteroid has decided to slowly creep towards earth and crumble due to structural instability. The chemicals used to preserve the bodies on that environment have made them immune to heat therefore they do not burn up in the atmosphere upon re-entry. Bodies falling from the sky which have become affected by a mysterious space radiation.

It leads to many scary moments when all of a sudden there's a small explosion in front of you when a zombie hits the ground. Then it can crawl out and start to chase you. This can also help to make the buildings less of a guaranteed safe point so that you can't make a fortress that is impenetrable. You have to keep the players on their feet. This can also lead to a very beautiful sky scape for an amazing in game experience. Who wouldn't laugh when you're all running for a hiding spot and someone gets crushed by a falling body right in front of you...haha. Just an idea since I'd like to participate somehow ;) You can choose whether or not to use this in any way.
LOL i like the story just because A:it prevents impenetrable fortresses, and B: it would be FUNNY AS HELL if your buddy just buys the game starts running around thinking hes all that and than out of the blue BAM! hes dead.

However im not sure how well the public would appreciate this, the idea just seems to farfetched, but how about(just because now i really want to see zombies fall on peoples heads) the zombies can jump off of roofs and what not if they see/detect someone on the streets?

Also, i think i will start coming up with an idea for the zombie disease, because ive been screwing around with 3d models, and i will get very very far, and than ill do something very very stupid on accident and screw the whole thing up, so ill work on a story, but dont get me wrong Cryo your more than welcome to continue writing an explanation theory, and also i think i will work on one to and well decide whos is better, which one helps the story etc., after all if two people work on something theres a better chance of something good as a result:)

[Edited by - Blarkage on June 15, 2008 9:15:39 PM]
Quote:Original post by Blarkage
LOL i like the story just because A:it prevents impenetrable fortresses, and B: it would be FUNNY AS HELL if your buddy just buys the game starts running around thinking hes all that and than out of the blue BAM! hes dead.

However im not sure how well the public would appreciate this, the idea just seems to farfetched, but how about(just because now i really want to see zombies fall on peoples heads) the zombies can jump off of roofs and what not if they see/detect someone on the streets?

Also, i think i will start coming up with an idea for the zombie disease, because ive been screwing around with 3d models, and i will get very very far, and than ill do something very very stupid on accident and screw the whole thing up, so ill work on a story, but dont get me wrong Cryo your more than welcome to continue writing an explanation theory, and also i think i will work on one to and well decide whos is better, which one helps the story etc., after all if two people work on something theres a better chance of something good as a result:)

Haha, I always try to implement some sort of funny part in to things.

If zombies can scale walls, that would be so creepy to see.
Probably the most believable cause of zombies would be some kind of super rabies, or a parasite that possesses the host (like head crabs), although both those ideas have been done to death. You could always leave it unexplained, as I'm sure the average survivor wouldn't know all the details.

Oh and yeah, climbing zombies would be awesome, but it's up to Viperrr wheter or not their in as they may be hard to program, and probably require you to splash nodes everywhere (that's how it works in Half-Life 2).

Anyway... I have blender, but to be honest it's not the best way to model buildings, it's designed more for advanced character stuff, but it's free so I guess that's what I'll be using.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement