Physical Motion-based Gaming (Wii)

Started by
22 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
If the engine is available on multiple platforms, all this is already taken into account. Features can be switched off and on.

You can't really just switch models "off an on" to lower-poly. There are programs that reduce the triangles, but they're usually used for making level-of-detail versions of a model.

Quote:The idea of an engine is not to be capable of doing anything you like on every platform, but to be able to make a game that runs on multiple platforms. Therefore, the fact that the design of some games relies on a specific look that isn't practical on certain systems, doesn't mean that cross-platform engines are useless. This is why most people do indeed use such engines.

Agreed, which is why people sell engines and they're used on multiple platforms. But if a game is run on the Unreal Engine on the PS3/360, and the company wants a Wii version, chances are they won't just be able to switch an enormous amount of stuff off on the engine. Usually, they'd just either hire a new company to do the Wii/PS2 version, like for The Force Unleashed, which usually turns out a weaker product.

Quote:Neither of these things are 360/PS3 specific. They're just easier and/or more efficient on those platforms.

Yes, but you have to put in twice as much work to recode just for one platform, rather than both the "High-End" ones. And if you decide that you want a PS2 and a Wii version, 99% of the time they're exactly the same game with some changes, which really limits the Wii's power.

I don't even remember what my original point was anymore, but what I was really trying to get across was that most devs don't want to go to all the effort of making a Wii-specific version, because you need to remodel EVERYTHING (unless there's some awsome triangle-killer program that is used to lower the poly count a TON) and modify remove some of your features from the engine.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sanman
And yet if you are simply porting a game from one platform to another, via that common engine, you might not be able to take advantage of the unique control interface the Wii offers. Because in my opinion, motion-control is not merely just a feature to switch on, but something to design the entire game around, from the ground up.

That was my whole point, a few posts up.
Quote:Original post by IronWarrior
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
If the engine is available on multiple platforms, all this is already taken into account. Features can be switched off and on.

You can't really just switch models "off an on" to lower-poly. There are programs that reduce the triangles, but they're usually used for making level-of-detail versions of a model.

And that is exactly what you use. And you can use smaller textures. This isn't difficult - this is already widely done.

Quote:
Quote:Neither of these things are 360/PS3 specific. They're just easier and/or more efficient on those platforms.

Yes, but you have to put in twice as much work to recode just for one platform, rather than both the "High-End" ones. And if you decide that you want a PS2 and a Wii version, 99% of the time they're exactly the same game with some changes, which really limits the Wii's power.

No, typically you don't put in twice as much work at all. You write one piece of software to run across all the platforms you're running on, with slight differences. Most of those differences are already taken into account by whoever wrote your library.

Quote:I don't even remember what my original point was anymore, but what I was really trying to get across was that most devs don't want to go to all the effort of making a Wii-specific version, because you need to remodel EVERYTHING (unless there's some awsome triangle-killer program that is used to lower the poly count a TON) and modify remove some of your features from the engine.

Sorry, but that's simply not true. (I've actually worked on a game that was developed simultaneously for Wii and PSP.)
Apple may be coming out with Wii OS X?! To be clearer, it seems Apple is getting into 3D gaming with their own knock-off (IMO).

I wonder if their take on the 3D controller will be superior to Nintendo's or just different enough to have talking points.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement