The Greatest Barrier To Hardcore Games Is?

Started by
99 comments, last by ID Merlin 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kest
Let me re-counter by just puting it this way: All interesting games (IMO) require some additional knowlege to play. If I know what I'm doing when I first jump into it, then it doesn't offer anything new to me.

I don't see a problem when discovering new interactive concepts helps me play a game better. Is there some type of phobia for learning new gameplay concepts that causes casual players to stay casual? If so, it would be caused by intimidation or a lack of interest.

I wouldn't call it a phobia, just a difference in interests. Could I draw an analogy to the field of photography? All most people want is to be able to make some decent 4x6's of the family vacation or their kid's birthday. They don't care how the aperture affects depth of field, whether they could get softer shadows with a bounce flash, if the sky is a bit overexposed, if they've followed the rule of thirds, or whatever. To say they have a phobia of learning these things is a bit extreme. If they're not interested in photography itself and not knowing those things gets them the pictures they're looking for, it doesn't matter if they understand the pros and cons of zoom vs. prime lenses.

Quote:
For me, learning to play is fun. But perhaps that's what throws me into the hardcore gamer crowd?

From my point of view, yes.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Does Sim City not require an excessive amount of game-specific-knowledge to play it, compared to Quake, where you just aim your sight and shoot things that move? In fact, I think there are more game-relative skills being employed by Chess, Tetris, and Minesweeper, than in Quake or Halo. It's a given that shooting something kills it, compared to lining up a row of horizontal blocks to clear them.

Well, if we're simplifying to that extent:

• People live, shop, and work in cities
  • You capture the ruler, you win the war
  • Packing oddly shaped objects efficiently (familiar to anyone who has moved, gone on vacation, cleaned out a junk drawer, etc.)
  • You step on a mine, you die

I think the only reason Quake seems as simple as the others is that it uses common idioms. At least, idioms that are familiar to gamers. My mom wouldn't know them, and would have more trouble picking up Quake than she did Tetris.

Chess isn't just about capturing the ruler. You have to know all of the limitations of pieces, and other obscure rules that don't relate to anything but chess. Tetris and mindsweeper are the same. They both have very game-specific rules and concepts put in place to make them interesting.

If I may change from Quake to Serious Sam 2 (I've played the latter but not the former), I'd say there's more to it than "point and shoot" and the analogies aren't as strong as you're suggesting (this claim is asserted on these forums whenever some politician accuses games of teaching kids how to shoot). There's an analogy between learning the moves in chess and learning the weapons, the enemies, and the interactions among them in Serious Sam 2. Also, it's made worse in the fact that Serious Sam 2 puts more demands on knowing that information at a moment's notice. A novice chess player can ask their opponent "How does the horse move again?" and take their time pondering their move. Have you tried asking a headless about how your weapons work or if he'd wait a minute while you decide which one to shoot him with? Even "shooting something kills it" is an oversimplification since Sam is much more likely to survive a bomb going off at his feet than any real human in a T-shirt and jeans. There are also conventions related to ammo and other powerups.

Like I was saying, we can simplify the other games to the same extent, but it doesn't make any of them that simple.

Quote:
This is something that realism wins out on. It relates far better to real life. And hardcore gamers love realism. They really don't prefer games to have abstract game-specific depth. But sometimes, that's the only way to get it.

I, personally, haven't seen any indication that hardcore gamers are more likely to prefer realism than casual gamers.

Quote:
Quote:Now, it seems this is largely a discussion of how to define hardcore vs. casual. If I were to attempt a definition, I'd say:

• Hardcore gaming is where the game is the focal point (i.e. the game itself is taken to be serious business) while casual gaming uses the game as a means to an end.
  • A gamer is someone with a general interest in playing games (they'd in some sense identify themself as someone who likes to play games, as opposed to someone who, say, just does the morning crossword).
  • Hardcore/casual gamers are either gamers who are more likely to play hardcore/casually or gamers who are currently playing hardcore/casually, depending on context.
  • Hardcore/casual games are games that are more likely to be played hardcore/casually.

Well, to be honest, I don't feel any wiser after reading that. It looks to me like you completely avoided specifying any distinction. Hardcore/casual players like to play hardcore/casually? What is that?

If your final point is that hardcore gaming is just more serious gaming, then I'll agree.

"That" is something like a dictionary defining the adjective form of the word as "of or relating to <noun form of the word>." I find it harder to understand, but if you'd prefer that I'd write it all out in one bit it would become:
Hardcore gamers are people with a general interest in playing games (they'd in some sense identify themself as someone who likes to play games, as opposed to someone who, say, just does the morning crossword) who either are more likely to play with the game as the focal point (i.e. the game itself is taken to be serious business) or are currently playing with the game as the focal point, depending on context, while casual gamers are people with a general interest in playing games who either are more likely to play the game as a means to an end or are currently playing the game as a means to an end, again depending on context.

I wouldn't say it's more serious gaming; I'd say it's the extent to which the game itself is important. The seriousness of the gaming comes in insofar as the less important the game itself is to the player the less seriously they're likely to play, but that's not so much the deciding factor. A tennis player might take the game seriously even though he's just playing it for exercise and a bit of fresh air.

Quote:
Quote:Perhaps not very useful since it's pretty vague, but I don't think being more specific would do justice to the variety found in the everyday uses of the words (I've probably even missed a few cases).

Which means it's impossible and pointless to discuss the subject with you, not knowing where you stand. For all I know, hardcore gamers could be limited to overly annoying MMORPGS players for you, while I, considering myself anything but casual, would never touch an MMORPG.

If you understood what I was saying you'd know I was saying nothing of the sort. If you really think that, could you point out the parts that you don't understand? Or, even better, the points where it fails to provide a useful basis for the current discussion?

Quote:
Quote:If a particular discussion needs a more specific definition, one can be decided upon for the sake of the discussion, but such definitions inevitably leave out some everyday uses (e.g. power and energy have overlapping everyday uses, but, in physics, are distinct concepts).

As long as you don't want to discuss anything specific that relates to hardcore or casual gameplay, then I don't need to know which is which for you. Otherwise, we'll both just end up confused, arguing about completely different concepts as though they were the same thing. That won't get us anywhere.

What specific things that relate to hardcore or casual gameplay cannot be discussed using the above definition? I'd be happy to restrict the above definition so long as it's recognized that such a restriction turns it into a working definition for the purposes of discussion and will only cover a smaller subset of everyday uses of the terms (I don't claim that even the above definition is vague enough to cover all reasonable uses of the terms).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
I don't see a problem when discovering new interactive concepts helps me play a game better. Is there some type of phobia for learning new gameplay concepts that causes casual players to stay casual? If so, it would be caused by intimidation or a lack of interest.

I wouldn't call it a phobia, just a difference in interests. Could I draw an analogy to the field of photography? All most people want is to be able to make some decent 4x6's of the family vacation or their kid's birthday. They don't care how the aperture affects depth of field, whether they could get softer shadows with a bounce flash, if the sky is a bit overexposed, if they've followed the rule of thirds, or whatever.

But you're now referring to tedious details. That wasn't how this branch of the topic started. We were talking about learning anything to get better at games. Finding a new strategy to use against a new enemy. Finding a new weapon to employ different techniques. Toying with your warrior to learn a cool maneuver. Anything that improves your skill with the game that's not initially known as part of its standard rules fits into Captain Griffen's complaint.

Quote:There's an analogy between learning the moves in chess and learning the weapons, the enemies, and the interactions among them in Serious Sam 2.

I can't remember exactly how everything works in SS2, so it may be more complicated than I think. But if not, it's a lopsided comparison. The rules of chess are extreme limitations that can't be discovered. You have to learn them all before you even start to play. The extent of discovery applied to shooting enemies with guns is usually the same as any action-concept of the real world. You find grooves and hit walls, and you learn to do it better. But generally, you can shoot any enemy, with any gun, using any tactic.

Quote:Also, it's made worse in the fact that Serious Sam 2 puts more demands on knowing that information at a moment's notice. A novice chess player can ask their opponent "How does the horse move again?" and take their time pondering their move. Have you tried asking a headless about how your weapons work or if he'd wait a minute while you decide which one to shoot him with?

That seems like a silly comparison. If we were talking about a multi-player turn based game with ranged combat, then yes, you could do the same thing. Yet, you still wouldn't have to. You could play without that knowledge, and learn it as you go.

Quote:Even "shooting something kills it" is an oversimplification since Sam is much more likely to survive a bomb going off at his feet than any real human in a T-shirt and jeans. There are also conventions related to ammo and other powerups.

None of that knowledge is necessary in order to play and enjoy the game. You can discover all of it by just having fun with the game. They're not rules that must be learned, they're just gameplay texture.

Quote:I wouldn't say it's more serious gaming; I'd say it's the extent to which the game itself is important.

That was what I meant by serious gaming. Taking it more seriously. Committing to the interaction. Sweaty palms on a joystick. Bombs going off next door, unnoticed.

Quote:A tennis player might take the game seriously even though he's just playing it for exercise and a bit of fresh air.

A saturday morning mom playing tennis with her kids doesn't take the game nearly as seriously as professional athletes sparring with one another. That's the difference between casual and hardcore. At least for me.

Quote:
Quote:For all I know, hardcore gamers could be limited to overly annoying MMORPGS players for you, while I, considering myself anything but casual, would never touch an MMORPG.

If you understood what I was saying you'd know I was saying nothing of the sort. If you really think that, could you point out the parts that you don't understand? Or, even better, the points where it fails to provide a useful basis for the current discussion?

That was just a random possibility for your perspective. An example of where we failed to connect in terms of discussion-foundation was discovering that your personal version of hardcore gamer doesn't prefer realism. I thought that was an understood trait. The point was that it's very difficult to discuss the differences between two concepts when no one can agree on what those two concepts are.

Quote:What specific things that relate to hardcore or casual gameplay cannot be discussed using the above definition?

I'll let you know as we run into them.
The greatest barrier to hardcore games is that they're hardcore. They're by definition reserved for the "elite" few who define themselves using the hardcore label.

It's no different than people in the "underground" or indie music scene who turn their nose up at the mass-market crap, or art-film snobs who think less of people who enjoy hollywood productions.

That's the way it always has been and will be. Punk bands "sell-out", actors/directors "sell-out" and go hollywood. The only way to reach a larger audience in games is to "sell-out" and target a different audience.

People involved in something at a community level feel very possessive over their hobby. They feel that they are part of a community of like-minded people. To be involved that deep in a community takes time, and dedication. This immediately disqualifies casual gamers from the hardcore. Because these communities are so invested in their hobbies, they feel that companies are betraying them when they move away from their existing audiences and towards new audiences.

The only way to overcome this barrier is by sheer will, or by fluke. An example of a fluke would be being someone's college roommate when Halo first came out who bought an xbox. You happen to play with him all the time and develop a competitive spirit. This could continue to grow and you'll get more and more invested in the hobby until you start taking friendly competition more seriously and start playing more games in an attempt to compete. Converting by sheer will just doesn't happen. No one just wakes up one day and says to themselves: "I wish I was more hardcore at videogames".

This isn't a video game phenomenon. It's quite apparent in every other field of entertainment.
Quote:But you're now referring to tedious details. That wasn't how this branch of the topic started. We were talking about learning anything to get better at games. Finding a new strategy to use against a new enemy. Finding a new weapon to employ different techniques. Toying with your warrior to learn a cool maneuver. Anything that improves your skill with the game that's not initially known as part of its standard rules fits into Captain Griffen's complaint.

You do not 'find a new strategy'. Strategies are not something you find. You develop them through thinking. That is a vital difference. 'Toying with your warrior', by contrast, often involves just probing randomly, rather than developing from a logical basis.

Strategies are derived from the standard rules; they are not knowledge separate from them. Strategies are not something that improve your skill at the game, they are key component of your skill at the game.

Cut the strawman arguments (or improve your English comprehension).

Quote:The rules of chess are extreme limitations that can't be discovered. You have to learn them all before you even start to play. The extent of discovery applied to shooting enemies with guns is usually the same as any action-concept of the real world.

Yes, but in chess, it's entirely reasonable to learn them before you start to play. It is not reasonable, and often not possible, to explore and memorise every map in an FPS before playing it.
First time i've posted on this board (although most certainly not the first time i've been on it) so be gentle please. ;)
(Note- theres a sentence length summary at the bottom is you can't be bothered to read the entire thing, but you will miss my riveting post =P)

I've read most of your posts and i must say i agree with a lot of what you all are saying. Now, forgive me if this has already been posted, however i find that the term "hardcore" actually boils down to the level of commitment one is willing to invest in a game.
One prime example of this is the dreaded World of Warcraft (which i played for a good amount of time */shame*). Look at the guilds dubbed "hardcore", these are guilds which have an organised structure and have a CV-like entrance requirement: "You must play blah blah blah. You must also attend [x] raids per week".
Now, complexity may factor in massively into the "hardcore-ness" of a game, but in all my gaming experience (and personal experience with the WoW raiding system) i can quite confidently say that i believe that commitment is the key here as "casual gamers" do not wish to _have_ to spend [x] hours each day/week conducting 'leisurely' activities.
This can be seen in other areas of gaming to (for those who wish to attack the analogy of WoW raiding), take a look at the ladders in every single ranked RTS/FPS game. Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, the top 5 in the world have surplus of 200 000 games won in some cases, with 90 000 being the lowest (if i remember correctly).
Just my 2 pence and sorry for the essay length response.
P.S. Hello to everyone on the gamedev boards reading this =)

TL;DR - Levels of commitment required dictate how "hardcore" a game is IN MY OPINION.

I wouldn't call it a phobia, just a difference in interests. Could I draw an analogy to the field of photography? All most people want is to be able to make some decent 4x6's of the family vacation or their kid's birthday. They don't care how the aperture affects depth of field, whether they could get softer shadows with a bounce flash, if the sky is a bit overexposed, if they've followed the rule of thirds, or whatever.

But you're now referring to tedious details. That wasn't how this branch of the topic started. We were talking about learning anything to get better at games. Finding a new strategy to use against a new enemy. Finding a new weapon to employ different techniques. Toying with your warrior to learn a cool maneuver. Anything that improves your skill with the game that's not initially known as part of its standard rules fits into Captain Griffen's complaint.

I thought you were letting go of our discussion of what Captin Griffen had said.

In any case, maybe I should ask if you're a hardcore photographer. It sounds like you're not since you find what I mentioned to be "tedious details".

Quote:
Quote:There's an analogy between learning the moves in chess and learning the weapons, the enemies, and the interactions among them in Serious Sam 2.

I can't remember exactly how everything works in SS2, so it may be more complicated than I think. But if not, it's a lopsided comparison. The rules of chess are extreme limitations that can't be discovered. You have to learn them all before you even start to play. The extent of discovery applied to shooting enemies with guns is usually the same as any action-concept of the real world. You find grooves and hit walls, and you learn to do it better. But generally, you can shoot any enemy, with any gun, using any tactic.

To a casual gamer, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. It doesn't matter why they need to invest X amount of time to be able to play effectively, it just matters that it takes that much time. They'll then weigh that time investment against their level of interest in the game itself and what else they could do with that time.

Also, the idea that you can learn an FPS through trial-and-error is no different than with chess. Computer chess programs don't let you make illegal moves, so, generally, you can move any of your pieces to another square using any tactic. If your opponent is human, they'll point out when you make an illegal move or you can even ask them, again, just like an FPS.

Quote:
Quote:I wouldn't say it's more serious gaming; I'd say it's the extent to which the game itself is important.

That was what I meant by serious gaming. Taking it more seriously. Committing to the interaction. Sweaty palms on a joystick. Bombs going off next door, unnoticed.

Quote:A tennis player might take the game seriously even though he's just playing it for exercise and a bit of fresh air.

A saturday morning mom playing tennis with her kids doesn't take the game nearly as seriously as professional athletes sparring with one another. That's the difference between casual and hardcore. At least for me.

I'm not sure all professionals take their game as seriously as you insist (I enjoy watching Daniel Negreanu play poker since he doesn't seem to take the game so seriously) nor that casual players take their game less seriously (I can most easily imagine this in a friendly rivalry).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:For all I know, hardcore gamers could be limited to overly annoying MMORPGS players for you, while I, considering myself anything but casual, would never touch an MMORPG.

That was just a random possibility for your perspective.

From my perspective? I see nothing of the sort from my perspective. Just like you wouldn't put words in my mouth, don't put sights in my perspective. If, from your perspective, you see a weakness with my definition (e.g. you think it would imply that hardcore gamers are limited to overly annoying MMORPG players, or that it would exclude you from being considered hardcore on the basis of your dislike of MMORPG's) then feel free to explain that.

Quote:
An example of where we failed to connect in terms of discussion-foundation was discovering that your personal version of hardcore gamer doesn't prefer realism. I thought that was an understood trait.

I don't see why it would be an understood trait since I've known hardcore gamers to get into abstract and realistic games with equal enthusiasm and casual gamers with a distaste for one or the other.

Quote:
The point was that it's very difficult to discuss the differences between two concepts when no one can agree on what those two concepts are.

That seems to be very nearly begging the question. It seems that two people would agree on what two concepts are iff they agree on the differences. This is why I suggested using a working definition. Two people needn't agree that a working definition best matches the richness of the term in everyday usage to discuss its consequences ("differences"). Plus, it offers more opportunity to look into those consequences since it's more strictly defined.

For example, we could define "hardcore" to mean "prefers realism" and casual to mean either "prefers abstraction" or "has no preference" and see where that gets us.

I thought you were letting go of our discussion of what Captin Griffen had said.

No, I was letting go of the overly distinct complexity versus complicated debate. This is unrelated.

Quote:In any case, maybe I should ask if you're a hardcore photographer. It sounds like you're not since you find what I mentioned to be "tedious details".

Why would that even matter? You can't seriously believe that casual gamers dislike discovering and experiencing new things in games, can you? That they want to know everything up-front, along with the basic rules, and find any skill altering or experimental gameplay to be tedious or less interesting? If so, your version of casual gamer is much wimpier than mine.

Quote:Also, the idea that you can learn an FPS through trial-and-error is no different than with chess. Computer chess programs don't let you make illegal moves, so, generally, you can move any of your pieces to another square using any tactic.

No, it's still completely different. I can kill everything in Halo using only grenades. You're simply not allowed to play chess how you want. You're always limited by the abstract rules. The only similar rules applied to first person shooters is gravity, human mobility, and other real world equivalents. None of it is necessary to learn, because you already know it. The one and only abstract concept to identify with before playing general first person shooters would be keyboard and mouse input.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure all professionals take their game as seriously as you insist (I enjoy watching Daniel Negreanu play poker since he doesn't seem to take the game so seriously) nor that casual players take their game less seriously (I can most easily imagine this in a friendly rivalry).

You have no idea how serious I was suggesting, so your first statement is disputing the amount of an unknown quantity. For your second statement, the types of players I consider casual definitely do not take their gaming seriously. If they get stuck or mildly frustrated, they walk away.

To be honest, though, I have no desire to discuss the traits or behaviors of hardcore and casual players. A player you consider hardcore may be one that I consider casual, or worse, my version of casual or hardcore may not even be on your map. They're different people for each of us, so we're obviously going to disagree on their traits. It's pointless to discuss them.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From my perspective? I see nothing of the sort from my perspective. Just like you wouldn't put words in my mouth, don't put sights in my perspective.

The point I made was that I have no idea what your perspective is. It could be anything. The MMORPG example was a random example of anything. It's that simple. I didn't put sights in your perspective, whatever the hell that means.

Quote:
Quote:An example of where we failed to connect in terms of discussion-foundation was discovering that your personal version of hardcore gamer doesn't prefer realism. I thought that was an understood trait.

I don't see why it would be an understood trait since I've known hardcore gamers to get into abstract and realistic games with equal enthusiasm and casual gamers with a distaste for one or the other.

Didn't I just say failed to connect? Feel free to discuss the preferences of your version of hardcore and casual players, but don't expect me to relate mine to them. Our different perspectives mean different players with different preferences.

Quote:That seems to be very nearly begging the question. It seems that two people would agree on what two concepts are iff they agree on the differences. This is why I suggested using a working definition. Two people needn't agree that a working definition best matches the richness of the term in everyday usage to discuss its consequences ("differences"). Plus, it offers more opportunity to look into those consequences since it's more strictly defined.

For example, we could define "hardcore" to mean "prefers realism" and casual to mean either "prefers abstraction" or "has no preference" and see where that gets us.

That's an idea, but the best it would provide would be hypothetical answers to the topic.
In any case, maybe I should ask if you're a hardcore photographer. It sounds like you're not since you find what I mentioned to be "tedious details".

Why would that even matter? You can't seriously believe that casual gamers dislike discovering and experiencing new things in games, can you? That they want to know everything up-front, along with the basic rules, and find any skill altering or experimental gameplay to be tedious or less interesting? If so, your version of casual gamer is much wimpier than mine.

Are you suggesting that casual photographers dislike discovering and experiencing new things in photography? I mean, I find photography, in itself, interesting. What you called tedious details are things I enjoy discovering. A casual player finds learning the ropes of a game to be a tedious detail, you, a hardcore gamer, don't, and that's the difference. So, sure, they'd enjoy discovering and experiencing new things in games, but they're more likely to reach their tedium threshold before reaching that point than you are.

Quote:
Quote:Also, the idea that you can learn an FPS through trial-and-error is no different than with chess. Computer chess programs don't let you make illegal moves, so, generally, you can move any of your pieces to another square using any tactic.

No, it's still completely different. I can kill everything in Halo using only grenades. You're simply not allowed to play chess how you want. You're always limited by the abstract rules. The only similar rules applied to first person shooters is gravity, human mobility, and other real world equivalents. None of it is necessary to learn, because you already know it. The one and only abstract concept to identify with before playing general first person shooters would be keyboard and mouse input.

Well, you are allowed to play chess as you want. A common example is playing without a rook (e.g. as a handicap), which I think parallels restricting your weapon choices in Halo. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that casual players don't make this distinction between learning the rules and the basics you claim can be learned through trial and error. Also, there's a difference between your opponent saying "You can't move there" and "Game Over, try again" (meaning even more trial and error is necessary for an FPS than for chess). There's also the coordination that's necessary (e.g. circling strafing, or even just moving a shooting) that players will have to learn.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have no idea how serious I was suggesting, so your first statement is disputing the amount of an unknown quantity. For your second statement, the types of players I consider casual definitely do not take their gaming seriously. If they get stuck or mildly frustrated, they walk away.

No, I do have some idea how serious you were suggesting: You were saying that professional athletes sparring with one another take the game more seriously than any casual player. If that's not what you were saying, then it wouldn't have made sense for you to have called that "the difference between casual and hardcore". I denied the difference by saying that I believe some casual players to the game more seriously than some hardcore players.

But I don't deny that casual players are more likely to walk away when they get stuck. Since they don't have an interest in the game in itself and something in the game is causing it to no longer serve as a means to their end, then they'll certainly walk away sooner than a hardcore player since, to the hardcore player, solving such a problem is the end.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From my perspective? I see nothing of the sort from my perspective. Just like you wouldn't put words in my mouth, don't put sights in my perspective.

The point I made was that I have no idea what your perspective is. It could be anything. The MMORPG example was a random example of anything. It's that simple. I didn't put sights in your perspective, whatever the hell that means.

It means that claiming something is from my perspective without being able to back it up is like saying I said something without being able to back it up. Could you explain how that was from my perspective? Really, it seems to be from your perspective. That is, from your perspective, you can't tell whether or not my definition only considers annoying MMORPG players to be hardcore. I mean, my definition makes no reference to genre at all, so I'd be curious how you think it could limit who I consider to be hardcore by genre preferences. But, really, I think you're just trying to throw up a straw man. What would be more helpful is if you could describe someone you would consider to be hardcore/casual and then show how that's not covered by my definition or my definition gets wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:An example of where we failed to connect in terms of discussion-foundation was discovering that your personal version of hardcore gamer doesn't prefer realism. I thought that was an understood trait.

Didn't I just say failed to connect? Feel free to discuss the preferences of your version of hardcore and casual players, but don't expect me to relate mine to them. Our different perspectives mean different players with different preferences.

So would you say that someone who prefers realism is hardcore? Would you consider someone who prefers abstraction casual? That is, which boxes would you check in the following table:
         | can prefer realism | can prefer abstraction|---------+--------------------+-----------------------+hardcore |                    |                       |---------+--------------------+-----------------------+casual   |                    |                       |---------+--------------------+-----------------------+

Quote:
Quote:That seems to be very nearly begging the question. It seems that two people would agree on what two concepts are iff they agree on the differences. This is why I suggested using a working definition. Two people needn't agree that a working definition best matches the richness of the term in everyday usage to discuss its consequences ("differences"). Plus, it offers more opportunity to look into those consequences since it's more strictly defined.

That's an idea, but the best it would provide would be hypothetical answers to the topic.

Precisely what I was saying.

[Rant]
Kest... Honestly, they are really trying extremely hard to get their points across to you. I have very little to say in this thread in the first place, as everything I might want to say is already said. As it is, one of the very few reasons this thread is still active is because of your "straw men" as Captain Griffin put it. I would suggest trying a little harder to look at this from an objective perspective, rather than being so stubborn about the fixed definitions you seem to hold for all of the topics being discussed.

Honestly, I myself would restrain myself from participating in a discussion in which my own definitions of discussion-centric words are inflexible. The dictionary has never held all the meanings for the words it holds, it only provides basic definitions for each. Additional meanings are easily added, especially in detailed or serious discussion, where defining a word for the purpose of the discussion is commonplace.

While I can generally assume that all participants in a serious discussion are fluent in the general conventions usually used, this seems to not be the case. Discussions must be carried out with as much objectiveness as possible. Words that multiple participants disagree on the definition should be defined for the purpose of the discussion. Arguments must be backed by sufficient support. In abstract arguments, this should be done through commonly known examples. If other participants fail to understand, attempt to convey the point in a different manner until said participant understands.

Objectiveness. While hard to apply to one's viewpoint, this is a simple word to define. To be objective is to not be subjective. To be subjective is to allow one's own perspective to cloud the real image of the world. Thus, facilitating objective thinking requires the act of analyzing what is actually occurring when something is done, rather than looking at the surface level perception. One example is the movement of the arm, in which a variety of very complex actions occur, but to the one moving the arm, it is a very simple thing. However, realizing that it is a complex action requires outside knowledge. Similarly, any analysis of an action requires outside knowledge of some sort, whether it be knowledge of basic physics or the way one learned how to do something, and the experience of not knowing how to do it at some point. At the moment, this is all I feel is necessary as a definition of objectiveness and how to apply it. I may be proven wrong.
[/Rant]

As for the main topic, I believe that for a casual gamer's introduction into "hardcore" games, there must be a gradual curve into the game that follows the game's actual learning curve quite well. On the other hand, it does depend on the genre of the game what the actual barrier is. Some genres have general IQ restrictions due to complexity. (EG: Go is a complex game with extremely simple rules, but scale issues make it a game that requires decent IQ, IQ being general intelligence in the appropriate fields.)

The surface complexity of a game determines the barriers present. As others in the thread have stated, FPS games have a "point and shoot" surface level complexity, on average. They would have little trouble with any IQ problems. To use the game on a casual level depends upon the game, but barriers include the need to figure out that the dying is a learning experience, and should not impede one's enjoyment of the game. Powerup structure is a game-to-game difficulty that may also serve as a barrier to having fun in the game, as it may be difficult to learn if you have not learned a similar powerup structure before. Thus, in-game tutorials are most likely to be at fault here. In FPS, they integrate the campaign and the tutorial, more often than not.

If broken down into what exactly a tutorial is, given that a game is a well-designed game for the genre, if the genre is difficult to get into, the thing at fault is the tutorials or campaign. This is true for the RTS, RPG, FPS, 4X, and Simulation genres of gaming. Unfortunately, the fact is that most of these games assume that the absolute basics (EG: Basic Controls) are already learned when entering the game environment. A few I have played (BFME2) do not make this assumption. (I mean seriously, telling me how to move a unit?) This is mostly because experienced players find these details tedious. Youth also seems to remove many of the interface barriers rather naturally. An unfortunate truth that should be recognized, at least.

The other barrier that should be noted, given the definition of prior interest espoused in the first post, is the amount of enjoyment derived for each unit of time put into the game. The scale used earlier was based on game learning curves, and thus translating into the speed at which one can receive one's desired enjoyment from the game. The form of enjoyment that is sought changes from person to person, as does genre preference. This is not a coincidence. The barrier I am speaking of is personal preferences determined by a number of factors: Time restrictions, personal experiences, upbringing, interests outside of PCs. The personal preferences of a person may be undiscovered by a person, however, if one knows the person well enough, they would likely be able to tell if they would like something, whether or not that person had ever touched this "something" before. QED.

Peace,
Devath
Quote:No, I was letting go of the overly distinct complexity versus complicated debate. This is unrelated.

Highly related. Casual games tend to be simple yet complex.

Quote:Why would that even matter? You can't seriously believe that casual gamers dislike discovering and experiencing new things in games, can you? That they want to know everything up-front, along with the basic rules, and find any skill altering or experimental gameplay to be tedious or less interesting? If so, your version of casual gamer is much wimpier than mine.

Not quite. They dislike things that change the gameplay, I expect.

Solitaire is really a prime example of a casual game, and there is nothing to discover or experience there, just a game/puzzle to play/solve. However, Myst was a hugely successful casual game, based around discovering and experiencing new things. (Although these may well be two distinct demographics in terms of casual gamers.)

Quote:or your second statement, the types of players I consider casual definitely do not take their gaming seriously. If they get stuck or mildly frustrated, they walk away.

Myst refutes that one brilliantly. (Really, if you haven't played Myst, and are interested in game design in relation to casual/hardcore, well...you should have done.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement