Playstation 3, is it hopeless?

Started by
83 comments, last by eedok 15 years, 10 months ago
360 does have huxley though. However Huxley's gameplay from the videos and looking at what people are saying from the beta the combat is just a little less than Quake speed while MAG is supposed to be tactical like America's Army. We'll see since all they release was the trailer and it's not coming out this year.
Advertisement
Hopeless? I don't know. Will I buy one? No.

It costs too much. To use it, I'd need to spend $500 or so on a console (and I'm still not sure what version to get or when I can get it -- god, when did consoles suddenly need different versions?), another $300 or $400 in the best of times for an HDTV of somewhat reasonable size (upgrading from my current vacuum tube TV), and then some more for the games themselves that don't even look interesting to me (I read MGS4's plot on Wikipedia-- blech).

If there's anything positive in this picture, I can still do without it, and from there, it's just not worth that much to upgrade. Definitely not right now in this economy.

For this generation, I just went with a DS. The games are nice, it's a whole lot cheaper, and that's all I want out of a freaking video game.
I like the 360 a lot so far. The new gta is pretty nice. But I just decided to skip this generation entirely. All my favorite games are coming out for pc anyway. Just got Mass Effect recently :)
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
PS3 has had a rocky start alright, but they've just announced
God of freakin' War 3!

yay! psychotic violence FTW!!
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Quote:Original post by NytegardAnd by fad, just because it's still selling well, doesn't mean it isn't one. Sure, it's been a couple years. I'm just saying who really buys it and plays it? Nintendo is a genious in terms of marketing, as from what I've seen, they've managed to sell lots of products nobody uses, and sooner or later, people are going to wake up and stop supporting them unless they turn out games people actually play (and you can only pump out so many Mario and Zelda titles).

I use my Wii quite a bit really...

Granted, I only really play one game, but Wii Sports is kinda cool as a social thing every now and again.
Quote:Original post by programmermattc
Quote:100% backwards compatibility with PS2 on PS3? No? Pass.

I think you're specifically talking about 2 versions of the system, the 40gig and the very-recently announced 80 gig that don't support backwards compatibility. In any case, none of the next-gen systems truly support all backwards compatibility, Xbox has software emulation to allow original Xbox games and Wii has you buying emulated titles on their store.

There seem to be like loads of people talking about Sony losing exclusive games, currently the only two I can think of at the moment are Resident Evil and now Final Fantasy (although Versus is still slated for PS3 only and FF13 hasn't been confirmed to be shipping on 360 in Japan). A few months ago the same thing could have been said when all the Xbox boys were hyping Bioshock as only Xbox. I think it's really interesting how the talk of a system losing things like exclusivity is a definite notion of the system at that point in time.

The release-time version was the only one that I can recall to have hardware backwards compatilibity. The new version is totally stripped, and the one(s) prior to it are software emulation with spotty support (and by spotty... the non-working games happen to be the games I want to play).

Given how one of PS3's original huge 'selling points' was backwards compatibility, I'm burned on it. I can't find a new unit with hardware compatibility that isn't greatly aftermarket-priced.

If they bring it back, I'll buy one.

Blu-Ray is my only allure, and it's a bit 'meh' currently.
There seem to be like loads of people talking about Sony losing exclusive games, currently the only two I can think of at the moment are Resident Evil and now Final Fantasy

Grand Theft Auto IV
Assassin's Creed
Devil May Cry IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Final Fantasy 13
Beautiful Katamari
Fatal Inertia
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War
Quote:Original post by boolean
There seem to be like loads of people talking about Sony losing exclusive games, currently the only two I can think of at the moment are Resident Evil and now Final Fantasy

Grand Theft Auto IV
Assassin's Creed
Devil May Cry IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Final Fantasy 13
Beautiful Katamari
Fatal Inertia

I was thinking about exclusives yesterday while watching the Gamespot coverage of E3 2008. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I am trying to be as objective as possible, so feel free to disagree.

To me, it is not really that Sony is "loosing" exclusives, rather Microsoft actively seeks out exclusivity deals and rewards developers for such exclusivity, kind of how they used to offer a discount price to hardware manufacturers who shipped their machines with MS-DOS exclusively (do they still do that?).

So, if Sony never had an "exclusivity" deal with anyone to begin with, they are not really loosing anything.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Quote:Original post by boolean

Grand Theft Auto IV
Assassin's Creed
Devil May Cry IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Final Fantasy 13
Beautiful Katamari
Fatal Inertia

I was thinking about exclusives yesterday while watching the Gamespot coverage of E3 2008. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I am trying to be as objective as possible, so feel free to disagree.

To me, it is not really that Sony is "loosing" exclusives, rather Microsoft actively seeks out exclusivity deals and rewards developers for such exclusivity, kind of how they used to offer a discount price to hardware manufacturers who shipped their machines with MS-DOS exclusively (do they still do that?).

So, if Sony never had an "exclusivity" deal with anyone to begin with, they are not really loosing anything.

I agree.

Also, the GTA games were brought to the original Xbox so there wasn't a surprise when 4 was on it (heck, now there's even going to be a GTA for DS). Other than FF and possibly DMC, none of those titles were hyped and actually competantly delivered as major blockbusters (I'm looking at you Assassin's...)

Anyways, I'm kind of a Sony fanboy but I've been considering getting an Xbox for Halo 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, etc... I'm just not sold on paying for Live which doesn't have any better connection than PSN from what I've recently seen.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

I'm just not sold on paying for Live which doesn't have any better connection than PSN from what I've recently seen.

The problem with Xbox Live is that games still (OOPS! Add the word don't in) don't let people setup dedicated servers. With Xbox Live nearly everything uses Peer-to-Peer (BF2 is the only one I've seen so far use dedicated servers), so if you are playing GoW and little Billy decides he doesn’t want to lose, he just logs off and shuts the whole server down. Oh did I mention very few games support host-rotation (Halo3/Forza2 are the only ones to support it as far as I know), so if the hosts leaves in a huff the entire game shuts down?

I'm a lot more jaded though because I come from Australia, where Xbox Live costs a little under twice as much as America tax and exchange rate included, and because of the small population most online games are completely empty a few months after launch. When I pick up a new 360 next month, the much cheaper fees might be enough for me to get Xbox Live again, but we'll see.

[Edited by - boolean on July 16, 2008 3:42:50 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement