On Granting Inalienable Rights to Nature

Started by
44 comments, last by LessBread 15 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by LessBread
disgust because I think that disgust is a subject that allows for setting forward some of these distinctions.

Word "struggle" seems me more appropriate then "disgust".
Humans always dictincts nature parts to useful and dangerous.
In 1930's the "great" soviet biologist Michurin said,it was like a communist slogan:
"We must not wait favours from nature,our aim-to take them."
After many years,a sad joke has appeared:
"We can't wait favours from nature after averything what we've done with her"
Advertisement
I suppose that to the degree that the struggle to survive pitted humans against nature it served to establish the distinction, but given the bang up job we've done on that account (6 billion plus and growing), disgust maintains the distinction in the "modern" mind in a more visceral form.

I'm riffing off of some ideas I picked up from a lecture that I saw on television this last year about language given by Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker. Here's an interview he gave on Australian radio last year where he discusses some of what I'm getting at: The Stuff of Thought with Steven Pinker

Quote:
Natasha Mitchell: So it was a grammatically incorrect piece of legislation anyway. Beautiful, beautiful. Steve, you've looked to the brain for an explanation. What do we know about how swearing engages the brain?

Steven Pinker: Swearing taps into different parts of the brain than ordinary articulate speech. This has been known for quite some time because often neurological patients who suffer a stroke to the parts of the brain that underlie language and become aphasic, unable to speak fluently, have no trouble with swearing. They can swear like a sailor even though they can't put an articulate sentence together. Neuro imaging studies have shown that taboo words light up primitive parts of the brain like the amygdala which responds to threatening stimuli, like an angry face or a dangerous animal.

Also the right hemisphere which we know plays less of a role in articulate language...typically, strokes to the right hemisphere don't make a person aphasic, but the right hemisphere seems to be more involved in swearing than the left hemisphere. It suggests that basically taboo words activate brain areas that are associated with negative emotion, disgust, with hatred, with revulsion at sexual depravity, with awe and fear of deities, and all of the topics that get turned into swear words in different languages all have something to do with strongly felt emotion.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I suppose that to the degree that the struggle to survive pitted humans against nature it served to establish the distinction, but given the bang up job we've done on that account (6 billion plus and growing), disgust maintains the distinction in the "modern" mind in a more visceral form.

Well,distinction already exists- silence of nature.Of course it has filled with sounds and SMASHES especially,but they has no sence for us and we are not so
sencitive...
Very interesting addition to this lection maybe- Stanislav Lem story
"Сonditioned reflex",part about "crazy bathroom".It's a kind of test for
astronavts-human had to lie in bathroom,which has filled 36*C water,in
absolute silence and do not move-as long as it possible...

Isolation Tank

Altered States
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Isolation Tank
Altered States

Thanks,I know about it,but Lem has described it better.
I'm seriously doubt that somebody will climb in such tank after reading this story.
Unforgettable thing,just the best.
Almost like Arny in Red Heat-beat guy in mug,sigh and then speak in russian- "hooligans":)

[Edited by - Krokhin on October 3, 2008 12:29:04 PM]
Maybe others don't know what an isolation tank is.

I haven't read Lem's story. I've read a few other things he's written. It's a shame he's not better known in the West. He's a great writer.

I've never seen one up close or met anyone who has, but it appears that such tanks are for sale.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement