will linux ever be able to takeover windows in popularity

Started by
213 comments, last by Washu 15 years, 6 months ago
Quote:
In 50 years will windows still be around? In 100 years will windows still be around? Likewise for Linux?

It's entirely possible that neither Windows nor Linux will still "be around" with anywhere near the popularity they enjoy now, but it is also equally likely that something will be that evolved out of Windows, and something will be that evolved out of Linux.

So what's your point here?
Advertisement
Nope. Even if there was a revolt against Windows, I think people would go to Mac, not Linux. Anyway, I've posted this picture once before. I'll post it again.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Well I for one can't wait till Linux and Mac to have large market shares. Then we can have the power-pc reintroduced, and AMD can stop making Intel compatible processors. Along with our Nintendo VR machines, Sony playstation infinity+1 with the tissue processor, and Microsoft's xbox 2pi radians which should of come pre-installed with windows.

And nobody will be compatible with anyone else.

Just me
Quote:Original post by DeadXorAlive
True, but successful opensource projects are mostly organized in this way. Take the kernel for example, like Oluseyi pointed out, it isn't a hobby project anymore: I believe the biggest contributors to the kernel are IBM and SUN. Torvalds acts like the dictator with a small circle of trusted developers.

Well, I'm not sure if that's such a good example. Torvalds is essentially the virtual dictator equivalent of Kim Jong-il. Actually, I think the best thing that could happen to the kernel would be if Torvalds was forcefully removed from the project, and companies such as IBM or Sun taking over (well, maybe not IBM ;) But this is unfortunately not probable, and so the development of the kernel is going to stay stagnant (major design flaws aren't fixed due to Torvalds irrational stubbornness, constantly changing kernel API, etc).

Quote:Original post by DeadXorAlive
For some sufficiently important projects, especially when backed with commercial interests, open source development tend to work.

Yes, this is true. Unfortunately, there are not enough such projects. And the GPL is also a major hindrance for acceptance of commercially motivated projects.
Quote:Original post by Rattenhirn
do you think that the metric system will ever be able to takeover the imperial system in popularity (in the USA)

it should. Also, people in the UK should drive on the proper side of the route.

besides... WTF is a pound?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Slowly, the web is making OSes irrelevant for most ordinary computing tasks.
----Bart
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular
Nope. Even if there was a revolt against Windows, I think people would go to Mac, not Linux. Anyway, I've posted this picture once before. I'll post it again.

[image with windows 91% mac 8% and Linux 1%

Where did you find these numbers? For my works website the numbers are 89% Windows 8% Mac, and 3% Linux, and we do flash games which *nix users have been vocal about not supporting, so it's odd they have a showing in our numbers.
Quote:Original post by owl
do you think that the metric system will ever be able to takeover the imperial system in popularity (in the USA)

Everybody drove on the left until quite recently. (There's plenty of evidence to support this. Even the ancient Romans drove their chariots on the left.) Driving on the left is the most natural option for the majority as most of us are right-handed. If you're riding a horse, it makes sense to hold its reins in your left hand, keeping your right free to greet people or to wield your sword.

Even today, there is evidence to suggest that driving on the right is (slightly) more dangerous as right-handed people tend to react more quickly to events seen to the right of their field of vision.

I'm half-Italian, so I agree with fully adopting the Metric System. It's generally a lot easier to work with, although the decimetre could use more exposure as a replacement for feet. (The inch and yard are already catered for by the centimetre and yard respectively.)

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Quote:Original post by eedok
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular

[image with windows 91% mac 8% and Linux 1%

Where did you find these numbers? For my works website the numbers are 89% Windows 8% Mac, and 3% Linux, and we do flash games which *nix users have been vocal about not supporting, so it's odd they have a showing in our numbers.

Could any of those Linux hits be from search engine robots? Those don't tend to be run on Windows or OS X servers and it would explain much.

(Measuring OS share by browser agents has known flaws: Many browsers deliberately spoof their agent string.)

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Quote:Original post by stimarco
Quote:Original post by owl

Everybody drove on the left until quite recently. (There's plenty of evidence to support this. Even the ancient Romans drove their chariots on the left.) Driving on the left is the most natural option for the majority as most of us are right-handed. If you're riding a horse, it makes sense to hold its reins in your left hand, keeping your right free to greet people or to wield your sword.

Which is precisely why the steering wheel is on the left side of the car in countries which drive on the correct side of the road :)

Quote:
Even today, there is evidence to suggest that driving on the right is (slightly) more dangerous as right-handed people tend to react more quickly to events seen to the right of their field of vision.

You mean like, people crossing the street or things happening on the side of the road that actually matters?
----Bart

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement