Any Good Racing Game Engines?

Started by
15 comments, last by Xelen 15 years, 6 months ago
Advertisement
Hi,
regarding 2D games, did you look at Haaf's Game Engine (hge.relishgames.com) ?
Ghostly yours,
Red.
Ghostly yours,Red.
Quote:Original post by Hispanic91
What frameworks would you reccomend for 2D games. After extensive googling, I havent found anything that I would consider of value.

What is your valuing system? What did you look at, rejected, and why?

Also, I'm a little confused. In one more recent post you ask for a good 2D library, yet in another you say you'll be making a 3D game. So, which is it?

Lastly, there are different subgenres within racing: arcade-ish 2D scroller to full realistic/simulation 3D sim. Which one are you heading towards?

Quote:Original post by Red Ghost
Hi,
regarding 2D games, did you look at Haaf's Game Engine (hge.relishgames.com) ?
Ghostly yours,
Red.

I second the recommendation for HGE. It's about as simple as it gets, and the webpage has a good amount of documentation. Also more tutorials can be found online via Google. Even a link to the GameDev's Wiki popped up for an HGE tutorial :)

If HGE seems a bit too advanced for you at this current time, you might consider picking up a decent C++ book at a bookstore near you and reading ahead of the class. If this is your first C++ class do not expect to understand the HGE code right away, you'll have to mess with it. While learning you will probably get stuck and get a bit frustrated. Though just stick with it and of course you can ask for help on the forums. Of course, don't expect people to write any of the project for you, only to give you pointers on what you might be doing wrong ;)

Though my question to you now is what have you all been using so far for graphics in the class, or has everything been all text based thus far? That then leads to my second question, does the teacher expect for the game to be graphical? Lastly what are the teacher's other criteria/requirements?

The reason I ask is that you might not have the time and experience yet to make the game that you invision, especially if this is a first level class. Depending on the class difficulty level, you might get away with a simpler project such as moving an object through a maze using the keyboard. Even that will turn out to be harder than you would think for beginners. Everything you learn from that you then can use as experience to build the racing game later in your own time. :)
I just had an idea. You should go talk to the teacher and see what he or she recommends. Then also look at what students have used in the past, as that would be best considering they would have the same skill level as you. That would be the best way to find your answer at this point if you haven't already decided for sure. Really.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement